Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikePhanta
Plus even if Telus is gaining in marketshare in Cable, internet streaming is the next big thing.
Telus's capacity will take a hit(considering theyre near potential already and new Optik TV takes a huge chunk of capacity)
whereas shaw has the advantage of a lot of capacity to handle future growth.
Which of course will help them as streaming gets bigger and as consumers want faster speeds with higher bandwidth.
Short term=Telus
Long term=Shaw.
I have both in a portfolio and they are both excellent and decent Western Canadian companies.
|
I'd almost reverse that. Telus capacity seems smaller when you think in terms of ADSL but they've been aggressive on both the wireless space and the optical fibre space. Bell and Telus have both been putting massive amounts of optical fibre down for the past 10 years. There's also a lot of dark fiber out there.
I don't know how much Shaw has invested in Fiber, but if I were to guess, I'd say they're going to try and leverage their cable as much as they can. Cable is great, but when it comes to running new wires I'd much rather be running a cable half the size of a telephone cord than massive coax.
Optik TV requires Fiber. There's apparently a junction 60m or so from my place in Vancouver, which is apparently average according the tech. That will carry the 19.2MB/s download speeds.
Interestingly, Telus will actually use the Coax once inside your house to run multiple TVs from if your twisted pair isn't enough. I don't have a crystal ball, but I'd say that long-term Telus has more potential to be the better investment.