Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150
Sounds like they’re trying new ideas to see what works; it’s clear that this new Times Square is going to be long term, so why not experiment with some potentially long term amenities. Frankly I think they should scale down the size of this ‘plaza’ and institute it as a seasonal function. I will say though that if the weather is pleasant and I happen to be down there, it’s not a ‘terrible’ concept. It’s funny though because the sidewalks are still packed, even when the open ‘plaza’ runs parallel. I still don’t think people have fully grasped the ‘plaza’ concept.
|
True, the entire idea of a Plaza in Times square is sort of atypical of your typical plaza. Even I haven't grasped what's going on there in terms of foot traffic. Take that staircase in the visual centerpiece: my idea in the pictures was that this was just where locals went, either for private business conversations, or else just to check in on how they're doing. So on the latter, I've been passing by there to see what steps they're sitting on, but it would be good to know if any and how many of them are tourists.
If you're talking more about the larger plaza with all of the street traffic, yeah, as far as that goes, it's a maze. When I'm there I kind of just stare at the swarm of locals. Sometimes I'm almost positive I've seen a coworker, other times I'm seeing someone who just looks a bit like them for some reason, and then I'll end up trying to follow them five blocks down through the herd of pedestrians just to find out it was the wrong person all along. It would be great if the plaza worked as a place where locals meet up, so I don't end up doing that.