HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #13121  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:39 AM
Alliance's Avatar
Alliance Alliance is offline
NEW YORK | CHICAGO
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,532
I actually think the cladding looks pretty cheap and generic. At this point I'm kind of pinning my hopes on the base.
__________________
My: Skyscraper Art - Diagrams - Diagram Thread
     
     
  #13122  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:43 AM
robby68 robby68 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
This thing is getting huge.I will make my yearly trip to Gotham City in August.I cannot wait to see how big this is in August.
     
     
  #13123  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:10 AM
sterlippo1 sterlippo1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 1,266
welcome david, great stuff there
     
     
  #13124  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:51 PM
Alliance's Avatar
Alliance Alliance is offline
NEW YORK | CHICAGO
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
i was just thinking the same thing. so long as it's built in NYC Alliance wont like it...
Hardly true. I just don't think such high praise is warranted on a this building. I think its remarkably average, which is not what I want for a building that has such psychological and cultural importance both to the city of New York and the nation as a whole. I think New York deserves the best and I don't think its getting it (for a myriad of reasons that are for another place and time). Other cities like London are building centerpiece towers that have drastically superior materials and design. It seems to me that praise is too often heaped on any structure that is built, without consideration for an objective comparative analysis. I am just stating my opinion. I believe that when people think critically about architecture, they will demand a higher quality architecture and development. That will only benefit the built environment that is this city.

Just a reminder of how far we have come over the past year.


SDC12507-edit
Photo by me.
__________________
My: Skyscraper Art - Diagrams - Diagram Thread
     
     
  #13125  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 7:55 PM
aquablue aquablue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,737
What the fook is wrong with the glass, Alliance?
     
     
  #13126  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:18 PM
Puzzlecraft's Avatar
Puzzlecraft Puzzlecraft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 265
WTC area April 3, 2011 (part 1 of 2)

I was in NYC for the first time since '02, and had an opportunity to visit the WTC site. Took many pictures, here are a few reduced in size and compressed a bit not to take up too much room. After viewing the site so many times on this forum and elsewhere it was great to see it in person, yet know where everything was! For this posting I selected pictures which for the most part were from perspectives not frequently posted here.

1


2


3


4


5


6
     
     
  #13127  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:24 PM
Puzzlecraft's Avatar
Puzzlecraft Puzzlecraft is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 265
WTC area April 3, 2011 (part 2 of 2)

7


8


9


10


11


12


13
     
     
  #13128  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 8:27 PM
pico44's Avatar
pico44 pico44 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Other cities like London are building centerpiece towers that have drastically superior materials and design. It seems to me that praise is too often heaped on any structure that is built, without consideration for an objective comparative analysis. I am just stating my opinion. I believe that when people think critically about architecture, they will demand a higher quality architecture and development. That will only benefit the built environment that is this city.

All well and good Alliance, you are of course free to like or dislike anything for whatever noble reason you choose to do so. But the problem i have with this post is the highlighted word: Objective. If you were such a bastion of objectivity, perhaps you might have found one positive thing to say about a single New York development in you're time here as Alliance or Ordo. Instead, you're posts are seemingly and simply, opportunities to let everyone here know that New York drools and Chicago rules. But it isn't the architecture that folds under objective critical analysis, it's always you're comments. For example, you're complaint that the glass here 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. Perhaps you are voluntarily ignoring a comparitive examination of the glass between the Shard and 1wtc that has been done here and on SSC. If you had seen that, you would know the reason the Shard doesn't have wavy reflections is not because the glass is superior, but because of the inward angle of the building and the lowrise architecture around it. It has no reflectionsof far off buildings! And the reflections it does have are from nearby buildings where distortion will be less prominent. High school optics my dear. By any measure, the glass being used here is some of the finest glass ever hung on a skyscraper. But of course that isn't good enough for you, is it? Because nothing is ever good enough for a troll.
     
     
  #13129  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:07 PM
dar124 dar124 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 158
Great pics Puzzlecraft!!!
     
     
  #13130  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:33 PM
Zensteeldude Zensteeldude is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 692
Thanks for all the great pics Puzzlecraft !

That last pic clearly shows why they have to install slurry walls to keep the Hudson river out.

I dub it Lake Security Center.
     
     
  #13131  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:54 PM
detroitmetro101 detroitmetro101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: detroit
Posts: 245
i read a couple of recent articles about the decline in demand for commercial office space in downtown. how will this affect the wtc, and future tower construction?? is anybody out there thats worried about this trend?
     
     
  #13132  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 10:17 PM
STR's Avatar
STR STR is offline
Because I'm Clever!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
What the fook is wrong with the glass, Alliance?
Nothing. In fact, it's pretty damn similar to the much vaunted glass on the Shard. Only difference is that the geometry (and the fact there's more buildings to reflect) of the WTC tower makes the surface defects more noticeable. Neither building is using polished or ground plate glass, and since all hi-rise windows are heat tempered, there's going to be distortions. Angle of viewing, angle of the reflected object, distance of the reflected object all impact the perception of surface defects. It's why, if you only look at a few photos of each, it looks like they're using cheaper material in the WTC. They are not, in fact they probably overspent on materials given the minor difference between stainless steel (as used at the WTC) and galvanized steel (used pretty much everywhere else). They just didn't go WAYYY overboard and had the plates machine polished like a telescope lens.

Based on my extensive research while working on my models, you're going to get a more noticeable distortion if you're looking straight at the glazing (90* angle)at a reflected object directly behind that's some distance away. If you view the glass at an oblique angle and look at a reflected object that's both close and also obliquely angled from the glass, it's going to look almost optically perfect.

I could probably write a short book on the perceived optical effects of glass and reflective coatings. Most of the work on my models has involved studying how light, reflectivity, angle and other factors alter your perception of the reflections and color of the glazing.
__________________
There are six phases to every project 1) enthusiasm, 2) disillusionment, 3) panic, 4) search for the guilty, 5) punishment of the innocent, 6) praise for the non-participants. - Guy Tozzoli
Build your own Model Skyscrapers** New York City 2015 3D Model W/ New WTC ** World Trade Center (1971-2001) 3D Model
     
     
  #13133  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 11:04 PM
cpaul cpaul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
This may not be the appropriate place to put this, but I have to say, I was hoping the design of the tower would grow on me more as it was built, and it hasn't been the case. You'd think (well, I'd think, at least), the highlight of the New York Skyline would be architecturally magnificent, and I honestly feel like this isn't. at all. I actually much prefer the other (planned) three towers, especially #4 (the one where the top is sliced down at a 45 degree angle and is split into four separate tips). this isn't meant to be a troll attempt like the guy above me, and I don't know squat about building materials, etc., it just seems like there are so many buildings in midtown being built with so much ingenuity, that there is little recourse for the tallest building having so little.
     
     
  #13134  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 11:36 PM
djlx2 djlx2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 263

meaning that that the design on this one is too "blank" in some way?
     
     
  #13135  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:14 AM
cpaul cpaul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post

meaning that that the design on this one is too "blank" in some way?
I guess you could put it that way. the best I can figure, the boxy shape is supposed to be an homage to the previous towers, which themselves weren't exactly the pinnacle of architectural creativity. It's just disappointing to me that the smaller towers look much nicer.
     
     
  #13136  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:27 AM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaul View Post
I guess you could put it that way. the best I can figure, the boxy shape is supposed to be an homage to the previous towers, which themselves weren't exactly the pinnacle of architectural creativity. It's just disappointing to me that the smaller towers look much nicer.
I don't think height should play a factor into how "stylish" the tower looks.

Anyways, I drew a quick sketch of the 1 WTC glass, specifically one of the corner pieces on the first office floor. I added the blue color in paint



Just a quick pencil sketch, nothing special, really. But yeah

Last edited by The Grand Architect; Apr 15, 2011 at 2:08 AM.
     
     
  #13137  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 2:29 AM
NYCLuver's Avatar
NYCLuver NYCLuver is offline
Astorian
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 764
April 14th, 2011












__________________
New York City = My Home! :)
     
     
  #13138  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 12:40 PM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Great pics NYCLuver!!!
     
     
  #13139  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 8:33 PM
2-TOWERS's Avatar
2-TOWERS 2-TOWERS is offline
Twin Towers Guy / NYC
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Palm Desert , Ca
Posts: 637
Fantastic shots...looking at the cam 14th row of glass going up meaning floor 34...the next lift will be really noticable
     
     
  #13140  
Old Posted Apr 15, 2011, 9:14 PM
TimCity2000's Avatar
TimCity2000 TimCity2000 is online now
Burming Hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 2,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaul View Post
This may not be the appropriate place to put this, but I have to say, I was hoping the design of the tower would grow on me more as it was built, and it hasn't been the case. You'd think (well, I'd think, at least), the highlight of the New York Skyline would be architecturally magnificent, and I honestly feel like this isn't. at all. I actually much prefer the other (planned) three towers, especially #4 (the one where the top is sliced down at a 45 degree angle and is split into four separate tips). this isn't meant to be a troll attempt like the guy above me, and I don't know squat about building materials, etc., it just seems like there are so many buildings in midtown being built with so much ingenuity, that there is little recourse for the tallest building having so little.
i can see where you're coming from, but i'm actually of the opposite sentiment.

the impact of this tower in my mind comes from its simplicity and subtlety. (its height doesn't hurt either, lol...)
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.