HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction


Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• New York Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1621  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:08 PM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
This thread is about 2WTC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1622  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:21 PM
Big Towers Big Towers is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 42
Posters galore, check em out
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1623  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:33 PM
djlx2 djlx2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
In my opinion, there isn't anyone known as "trusted forumer", not even the most prestigious and respected forumers, such as NYGuy. Remember, we are in a world ruled by the internet, and this forum is part of the internet, where no one knows the true identity of the person you're speaking to on the internet- unless you know them in person.

I don't know NYGuy in person, and I bet most of you don't know him in person either. Even though he is highly known for his ability to post construction updates and photos in a timely manner, I do not know the true identity of him. Therefore, I have respect for him, but not trust. Trust isn't in my vocabulary when it comes to the internet. To tell you the truth, I could go on and on about life back in the 70's, where the people I talk to are people that I actually know in person- and NOT behind a computer screen with a username and avatar.

Sorry if I sound off-topic here, but I don't have any new construction statuses or photos to post. Might as well throw my thoughts out there.
I am agreed on this one. Better probably just to focus on what details on the buildings you can get here so that you can have conversations or do research, etc., about the buildings not on the internet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1624  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:51 PM
jackster99 jackster99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 311
I meant NYguy is a trusted forumer in comparison to big towers, becuase NYguy doesn't claim the work of others as his own
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1625  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 12:15 AM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackster99 View Post
I meant NYguy is a trusted forumer in comparison to big towers, becuase NYguy doesn't claim the work of others as his own
Well in that case, it's obvious to tell who I could trust on THIS one.... Good point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1626  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 12:44 AM
Jasonhouse Jasonhouse is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 23,512
People should remember that this part of the forum is intended to function kind of like a journal. We want members to be able to browse the history of the thread and see not just the progression of the building itself from inception to completion, but also the progression of the discussion of the building.

What we don't want, is a bunch of off-topic mumbo jumbo about personality conflicts or what have you. The people who come into the discussion after you have no desire to be subjected to that, so publishing your spats in the midst of a years-long construction discussion isn't exactly the cool thing to do, if you think about it.

And for the record, NYguy is verifiably one of the most constructive moderators and contributors we have here at SSP.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1627  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 1:18 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
One more thing.

The issue was with forumers asking their questions instead of reading to get their answers, which is fine. Some felt that NYguy was being insensitive for stating that those forumers should have read to find what they were looking for instead of asking. It's fine to ask questions. But consider this. The threads for the new WTC stay very busy every day. There are 5 threads devoted to the development and construction of these 5 buildings. For every off topic post on each page that's one more post adding to the time it takes to find what someone is looking for. Each page contains 20 posts. If a discussion about the displeasure of actions of other forumers takes hold and we end up with 20 posts, that's a whole page of off topic chatter that has nothing to do with the building. And if all 5 threads had a similar situation, that would be 5 pages and 100 posts to look through to find what you were looking for. NYguy's method may seem harsh, but he knows that because of the level of activity these threads see daily, that if we have a small amount of off topic posts pop up, that they can quickly grow into something larger.

By the way, if you have any displeasure or disagreements with a moderator, you are always encouraged to contact another one through the forum's private messages. There are nearly 70 staff members on this forum who will help you with issues that come up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1628  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 2:13 AM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Going back on topic, hopefully this will spark some discussions:

I was wondering if the 2 WTC will have another name to it. For example, like the 1 WTC being called "Freedom Tower", or the original 3 WTC being called "Vista Hotel".

Does/will the 2 WTC have a second name, besides "200 Greenwich"? I'm sure you guys would like it better to call these towers by something else, other than "Two World Trade Center or 200 Greenwich". I mean, these towers will be known around the entire world, and not to mention one of the tallest in the world. People around the world aren't going to like it if these behemoths are just simply called "200 Greenwich" (175 Greenwich, 150 Greenwich etc). And I'm speaking on behalf of the WTC towers as well (excluding the 1WTC and 7WTC).

Hopefully when the tower is built, tenants will move in, hopefully one will have naming rights for the tower, and name it something better. (Perfect example: Willis Broker Group Holdings accquired naming rights for the Sears Tower in Chicago and renamed it to "Willis Tower".)

Just saying.

Last edited by The Grand Architect; Apr 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1629  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 3:19 AM
JSsocal JSsocal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 717
I'd actually rather the building not have naming rights for a corporation, but I do agree that they could come up with a better name. Maybe Silverstein Tower in a few years, it'd pay good tribute and make sense.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1630  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 4:11 AM
uakoops uakoops is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 201
T1 - Freedom Tower
T2 - Four of Diamonds Tower
T3 - — Tower
T4 - Plain Tower
T5 - Invisible Tower
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1631  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 5:07 AM
SkyscrapersOfNewYork's Avatar
SkyscrapersOfNewYork SkyscrapersOfNewYork is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
T1 - Freedom Tower
T2 - Four of Diamonds Tower
T3 - — Tower
T4 - Plain Tower
T5 - Invisible Tower
lmao i like that
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1632  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 2:06 PM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
T1 - Freedom Tower
T2 - Four of Diamonds Tower
T3 - — Tower
T4 - Plain Tower
T5 - Invisible Tower
That's the spirit. Keep those creative juices flowing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1633  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 5:22 PM
Lecom's Avatar
Lecom Lecom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 12,117
It really is an interesting question which of these towers will capture the most of tourist attention, aside from 1WTC with its symbolic status and tourist amenities; also, what will the general public/newcoming tourists consider the "real" WTC? For instance, the old complex had seven buildings, yet many people only knew of the first two as being the WTC. Will they talk of this tower as Two World Trade Center or 200 Greenwich, sort of an associated adjacent project that is perceived as more of its own entity?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1634  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 6:20 PM
jsr's Avatar
jsr jsr is offline
Is That LEGO?
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ABS Dreamland
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
It really is an interesting question which of these towers will capture the most of tourist attention, aside from 1WTC with its symbolic status and tourist amenities; also, what will the general public/newcoming tourists consider the "real" WTC? For instance, the old complex had seven buildings, yet many people only knew of the first two as being the WTC. Will they talk of this tower as Two World Trade Center or 200 Greenwich, sort of an associated adjacent project that is perceived as more of its own entity?
Interesting question indeed. I don't think any of the Greenwich Street address or "WTC 2" type names will stick in the minds of the general public anymore so than they do for the individual buildings of Rockefeller Center (aside from 30 Rock) or the World Financial Center. I think for visitors to the area, the new towers will be perceived as World Trade Center towers due to the size, glass facades, and proximity to the memorial but not so much for their architectural merit.

Ironically 7 WTC might be the odd man out again since it will be unremarkable in size. I could see many not realizing it is part of the complex.

Last edited by jsr; Apr 10, 2011 at 9:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1635  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 11:42 PM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr View Post
Interesting question indeed. I don't think any of the Greenwich Street address or "WTC 2" type names will stick in the minds of the general public anymore so than they do for the individual buildings of Rockefeller Center (aside from 30 Rock) or the World Financial Center. I think for visitors to the area, the new towers will be perceived as World Trade Center towers due to the size, glass facades, and proximity to the memorial but not so much for their architectural merit.

Ironically 7 WTC might be the odd man out again since it will be unremarkable in size. I could see many not realizing it is part of the complex.
Good point, both to Lecom and jsr. But as I mentioned before, these towers will be known throughout the world. I bet that people around the world wouldn't want to call them by their street address, or "World Trade Center Towers".

About the 7 WTC, it really gets into a matter of size vs. proper name. The 7 WTC could be named "[Insert name here] Tower", or just "7 WTC". The 123 Washington st. apartment tower (just south of the 4WTC) is pretty tall, but doesn't have a proper name, other than "123 Washington St."

It really gets into the idea of whether or not people should call them by their street address or proper name set by the developer/architect/firm etc. It's easier to tell towers apart by their actual "name", not "number" name, such as 2 WTC 3 WTC etc.

It would be such a disappointment to have people say, "Hey, let's go to the 200 Greenwich's retail shops!".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1636  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:07 AM
Zensteeldude Zensteeldude is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 692
Mr. Silverstein, being the very intelligent man that he is, picked the Greenwich Street addresses for his buildings after considerable thought. I will not second guess him.

It will probably run more like: "Hey let's go to the WTC and do some shopping !"

(I have a wife and know how she thinks about such things, she does not say "I'm going to the such and such at so and so", She gives a general location. "Hon, I'm going to Short Hills Mall, be back in a bit.")

Or, a few years from now, "Lets hit a few stores at the WTC on our way home."

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Apr 11, 2011 at 4:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1637  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 5:02 AM
djlx2 djlx2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
Mr. Silverstein, being the very intelligent man that he is, picked the Greenwich Street addresses for his buildings after considerable thought. I will not second guess him.

It will probably run more like: "Hey let's go to the WTC and do some shopping !"

(I have a wife and know how she thinks about such things, she does not say "I'm going to the such and such at so and so", She gives a general location. "Hon, I'm going to Short Hills Mall, be back in a bit.")

Or, a few years from now, "Lets hit a few stores at the WTC on our way home."
Yeah, Silverstein's a genius. He has made no errors I can see in his architectural career. Granted, I can't see him, so how would I know.

Zensteeldude: it is lovely that you know your wife so well! Most couples I know don't have that kind of understanding, but perhaps it's just because I live in Bushwick, which is a fortress of intimidating signals amongst whiskey shots that lead to depression and loathing. On the plus side, we have a lot of abandoned building to photograph even if we're just researching them in historic decay.

Not to get off topic. Still can't wait for 2WTC to be underway. Looks so awesome in renderings. I'm sure that means it will be totally amazing!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1638  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 6:57 AM
djlx2 djlx2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 263
not to sound abusive (did it sound that way)? Here's a dancing banana. I hear that makes things sound more lovely.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1639  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 12:35 PM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post
Yeah, Silverstein's a genius. He has made no errors I can see in his architectural career. Granted, I can't see him, so how would I know.

Zensteeldude: it is lovely that you know your wife so well! Most couples I know don't have that kind of understanding, but perhaps it's just because I live in Bushwick, which is a fortress of intimidating signals amongst whiskey shots that lead to depression and loathing. On the plus side, we have a lot of abandoned building to photograph even if we're just researching them in historic decay.

Not to get off topic. Still can't wait for 2WTC to be underway. Looks so awesome in renderings. I'm sure that means it will be totally amazing!!!
Remember, hes an old guy- Old WISE guy... Respect your elders!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1640  
Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 10:42 PM
The Grand Architect's Avatar
The Grand Architect The Grand Architect is offline
Grand is Golden!
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 303
Update from lowermanhattan.info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowermanhattan.info
*The following information was last updated on April 6, 2011

-Receiving steel deliveries at Vesey Street inside fence
-Structural steel complete up to 1st floor
-Concrete installation at grade to be complete in spring 2011
-Utilities installation; core form erection
-Two cranes active on site
-Foundation work at the T2 site began in summer 2010. It is expected to be complete to grade by mid-2012.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:47 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.