HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    Skye Halifax I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #181  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 1:31 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As far as I know there also haven't been any starts on the Barrington projects (NFB, Green Lantern, etc.).
When I was walking on the waterfront today I looked up and saw some of the siding missing and some insulation paper hanging off the top of the back of the Green Lantern building. I never noticed this before so perhaps something has begun?!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #182  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 7:03 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
When I was walking on the waterfront today I looked up and saw some of the siding missing and some insulation paper hanging off the top of the back of the Green Lantern building. I never noticed this before so perhaps something has begun?!
I hope that's the case. That will be a great looking building if they complete the planned renovations.

Similarly, Barrington has the potential to be a very attractive street. NFB is key to this.. it would be nice to hear some news about that project.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #183  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 10:35 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
When I was walking on the waterfront today I looked up and saw some of the siding missing and some insulation paper hanging off the top of the back of the Green Lantern building. I never noticed this before so perhaps something has begun?!
damage from the last hurricane
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #184  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:44 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hopefully some combination of the Alexander, Salter, and Waterside Centre can move forward relatively soon.
Yeah I would love to see Salter and Alexander move forward on the residential side, along with smaller ones like NFB.

On the office side, I think that nothing will get decided until the Nova Centre gets settled. If it goes forward, then I think that at best 1 other office building might go forward (given the amount of absorption Nova will take). My guess would be either Waterside or TD would be that one given they seem to be the two that are being the most active right now in terms of the developers pushing it... basically whoever is quickest to it might get theirs done.

If then Nova does not, that might open the possibility of both Waterside and TD going forward, unless the psychological hit from no convention centre project takes the wind out of peoples sails.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #185  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 10:55 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Yeah I would love to see Salter and Alexander move forward on the residential side, along with smaller ones like NFB.

On the office side, I think that nothing will get decided until the Nova Centre gets settled. If it goes forward, then I think that at best 1 other office building might go forward (given the amount of absorption Nova will take). My guess would be either Waterside or TD would be that one given they seem to be the two that are being the most active right now in terms of the developers pushing it... basically whoever is quickest to it might get theirs done.

If then Nova does not, that might open the possibility of both Waterside and TD going forward, unless the psychological hit from no convention centre project takes the wind out of peoples sails.
Well there is over 500,000 sqft (11%) of office space available in the core who knows what is going to happen. Sad thing is this does take into account emera space in barrington tower coming to market (130,000). Add that and there is enough inventory for 4 years (average of 80,000 per year). Mind you there are substandard buildings and new ones need to be constructed. But tenants are not committing these days to the length of term required for financing.

It just plains 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵, i mean if the NDP would lower the business taxes and HST and focus on transit we might beat some of these woes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #186  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 6:11 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Well there is over 500,000 sqft (11%) of office space available in the core who knows what is going to happen. Sad thing is this does take into account emera space in barrington tower coming to market (130,000). Add that and there is enough inventory for 4 years (average of 80,000 per year). Mind you there are substandard buildings and new ones need to be constructed. But tenants are not committing these days to the length of term required for financing.

It just plains 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵, i mean if the NDP would lower the business taxes and HST and focus on transit we might beat some of these woes.
Well considering Nova Scotia's debt; I think getting the defecit under control might trump any of that first. I actually think it's smart that NS put the HST up; because the new government in New Brunswick is going to have no choice but to do the same thing in order to bring their defecit under control. So the months of NB gas being cheaper, I suspect are coming to an end - which will bring balance back to both provinces.

I'm hoping that if things should a much better picture for the Provinces finances next year (even if it's still a small defecit); they'll start to creep the HST down a notch and lower some business taxes. It may only be a small step; but considering how bad NB is right now - it would probably give a leg up to NS.

Of course the total opposite would be to say screw the debt, lower the business taxes anyway and hope that business would come. Of course; there are no guarentees that would work. Wow; sounds like the convention centre nay-sayers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #187  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 7:20 PM
ScovaNotian ScovaNotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 242
Quote:
"We're in the process of working the total schematics of the project. Going through the architectural design, looking at it in details of the unit layouts," he [Saberi] said, adding he hopes to have the schematics finished for the 27-storey towers by the end of August, but that he doesn't have a date for putting shovels in the ground.
source: http://www.news957.com/news/local/articl...d-about-salter-block-project-going-south
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #188  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 7:37 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
I think the development agreement for this site is now in limbo and will require a council approved extension.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #189  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 8:02 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I think the development agreement for this site is now in limbo and will require a council approved extension.
I think they would be hard pressed to not extend this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #190  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 3:18 AM
resetcbu1's Avatar
resetcbu1 resetcbu1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 329
this sounds cautiously promising, good to hear this has been in the woks since before I moved to calgary and I've been here for quite some time now.Hope this goes through although I recall hearing this before.(fingers crossed)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #191  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 2:16 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Interesting news from allnovascotia.com - Dawn Sloane wants to move to discharge the development agreement for this United Gulf development. According to allnovascotia.com - even though she was one of only two to oppose it, she isn't fighting an old battle "I don't see it that way. I see it as me doing my job" Personally, I think that Dawn Sloane would be doing her job if she spent more time supporting development in the downtown core. What is her record over the past 10 years relating to development in the downtown core? But maybe I am wrong - if Councillor Sloane is just pushing to have this development proceed as it is? Is an ultramodern proposal suitable for this site?

Also in the allnovascotia.com story, Navid Saberi says that he is mulling over three possibilities - the proposal as it is 2 x 27 storey towers, 1 x 27 storey tower or a downsized 20 storey tower which would conform to HRM By Design. He states that he will be able to make a decision by the end of June.

I wonder if Navid Saberi is waiting to see if the Nova Centre proceeds. I think it will spark other developments, possibly including this one.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 30, 2011 at 4:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #192  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 2:52 AM
resetcbu1's Avatar
resetcbu1 resetcbu1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Interesting news from allnovascotia.com - Dawn Sloane wants to move to discharge the development agreement for this United Gulf development. According to allnovascotia.com - even though she was one of only two to oppose it, she isn't fighting an old battle "I don't see it that way. I see it as me doing my job" Personally, I think that Dawn Sloane would be doing her job if she spent more time supporting development in the downtown core. What is her record over the past 10 years relating to development in the downtown core? But maybe I am wrong - if Councillor Sloane is just pushing to have this development proceed as it is - is an ultramodern proposal suitable for this site?

Dawn Sloane is also on the stadium steering committee.

Also in the allnovascotia.com story, Navid Saberi says that he is mulling over three possibilities - the proposal as it is 2 x 27 storey towers, 1 x 27 storey tower or a downsized 20 storey tower which would conform to HRM By Design. He states that he will be able to make a decision by the end of June.

I wonder if Navid Saberi is waiting to see if the Nova Centre proceeds. I think it will spark other developments, possibly including this one.
how do people not notice that downtown is dying,why are more people not holding those responsible for this accountable for their inept actions? this is very frustrating to say the least, this projet and CC would boost downtown so much along with more residetial! so why is it we can all see this yet the elected officials in silly hall can not ????
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #193  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 2:59 AM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
I don't understand how we can claim a democratic society when we have one person who thinks they are right and that gives them the right to oppose what they believe in.
May as well just have a dictatorship that way there wouldn't be any say either which way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #194  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:06 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
I don't think she can simply move to discharge it can she? Given her opinion on the development I'm not surprised. She spoke out against it and dislikes it. It's sad that for a councillor that's supposed to be for the downtown, she's voted against every major project.

That being said; if I were the developer, I would apply to council now to get the DA extended to cut her off at the pass. If he wants to change it to something that will conform to HRM by design, he can come back with a new application.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #195  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 4:10 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,002
Even if she can move to discharge it council probably wouldn't agree with her -- it wasn't even close last time.

I agree that it's sad how the downtown councillor is particularly anti-development. The downtown councillor should be one of the foremost advocates for development downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #196  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:06 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I don't agree with all her decisions, but this one I'm fully against. This development was approved almost a decade ago now. We were told construction would start and then it didn't, then we were told again, it would start and it didn't. There is only so long that we can wait for someone to build. Maybe it's time to pull the plug on UG and give someone else a chance who might actually put a shovel in the ground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #197  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 12:56 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
This was approved March 21, 2006 - http://www.halifax.ca/council/documents/C060321.pdf . So it has been 5 years since it was approved but then it was appealed and didn't get the green light from NSUARB until October 2007. In all fairness, I think the 4 year development agreement should be from the date approved by NSUARB. Certainly developers won't proceed with planning and development when a project is tied up with appeals.

My other objection is that this was approved and then afterward the HRM by Design decreased the allowable height at this location. United Gulf was sold this property with the understanding that they could build to Citadel ramparts maximum. The HRM by Design created a situation whereby people such as Dawn Sloane, who opposes tall buildings (this was one of her objections if you read the link - http://www.halifax.ca/council/documents/C060321.pdf ), has a vested interest in seeing it not proceed. Legally, this appears to be a conflict of interest. However, I am not a lawyer, I have only taken a couple engineering law courses, so maybe a lawyer can give their viewpoint on this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #198  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:21 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I don't agree with all her decisions, but this one I'm fully against. This development was approved almost a decade ago now. We were told construction would start and then it didn't, then we were told again, it would start and it didn't. There is only so long that we can wait for someone to build. Maybe it's time to pull the plug on UG and give someone else a chance who might actually put a shovel in the ground.
United Gulf owns this lot. The city sold it to them and they have been paying taxes on it.

Any fault that exists with this process rests with the city. Apparently they've learned their lesson since they are proceeding differently with the Clyde Street parcels.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #199  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:57 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
United Gulf owns this lot. The city sold it to them and they have been paying taxes on it.

Any fault that exists with this process rests with the city. Apparently they've learned their lesson since they are proceeding differently with the Clyde Street parcels.
I don't know if I fully agree with that. They got their DA - it seems like the delays have been on the developer. I think they've bitten off more than they can chew and are over extended.

Plus the developer is saying he wants to change it to 1 tower or 2 smaller towers - if that's the case, I suspect he hasn't even gotten the building drawings done yet. He'd have to have them in order to apply for his development/building permit - the inspectors would need to be able to go over them for building code compliance and the development techs would need plans to confirm that DA is being followed. If no permit has been applied for; I'd say it falls to the developer for the delays.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #200  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:38 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,002
I was talking specifically about Sloane's comment that the site should be handed off to another developer. This is possible for something like the WDCL contract but not very reasonable in the United Gulf case because the city sold off the land; that was a bad idea but they were the ones who put the process in place.

I do also think that the developer is justified in complaining about delays for multiple projects that they've been involved in. For these towers they were delayed until 2007 or so and then shortly after the financial industry collapsed. Delays of many years are the norm in the HRM and I could see them making it very challenging to develop since they make it impossible to plan based on current market conditions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.