HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #701  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:03 AM
skthunder77's Avatar
skthunder77 skthunder77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 113
Cornwall Centre

Noticed a coming soon sign on the store next to Second Cup indicating an "Olsen Europe" women's clothing. Not for me but hey, nice to see a new store opening.
     
     
  #702  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 8:29 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,074
With the stadium proposal dead for now, perhaps we should discuss, or even create a new thread for other possible uses for the soon to be vacant downtown CP container yards. This may or may not include a future stadium proposal. Some possibilities:

multiplex movie theatre;
high density housing;
grocery store;
parks and public spaces;
retail/bars/restaurants;
new central library;
new casino;
future open air or covered stadium;
any conbination of the above.

My personal vision is a multiple uses with canals winding through the development that could have small boats or gondolas as an amenity in summer with skating in winter - like the San Antonio Riverwalk.

     
     
  #703  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 8:55 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
Well there's no need for a new casino, and the current library location works great. I would love love love love to have a theatre downtown. No piece of development in Regina would make me happier. The library theatre is already fantastic, so to have a multiplex would be even better.

As nice as the canal idea is, I don't see it as a viable solution as it doesn't seem like an efficient use of this valuable land.

If the canals were some how implemented at Wascana Park though, I'd be all over it.
     
     
  #704  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:24 PM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
With the stadium proposal dead for now, perhaps we should discuss, or even create a new thread for other possible uses for the soon to be vacant downtown CP container yards. This may or may not include a future stadium proposal. Some possibilities:

multiplex movie theatre;
high density housing;
grocery store;
parks and public spaces;
retail/bars/restaurants;
new central library;
new casino;
future open air or covered stadium;
any conbination of the above.

My personal vision is a multiple uses with canals winding through the development that could have small boats or gondolas as an amenity in summer with skating in winter - like the San Antonio Riverwalk.

So glad I'm not the only one with a wild imagination and crazy dreams...I only with I had some money!

As infeasible as it may seem, I feel like something along those lines would be neat along Sask Drive between the post office and Elphinstone and through to Dewdney. It would be a unique way to tie the Warehouse District with Downtown with Cathedral...You could hop a boat at a hotel at one end and get off at a restaurant for dinner, walk to the theatre, do a little shopping, head downtown or to Dewdney for drinks, then hop on another boat to take you back to bed at the end of the night.

I wonder how many millions that would cost?
     
     
  #705  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 9:55 PM
A4Regina's Avatar
A4Regina A4Regina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 465
It'd be cool to have a mini amphitethre that could host concerts, festivals, performances, movies, presentations etc. In the winter, they could incorperate it into a skating rink and hold annual winter festivals there.

That piece of land is ideal for a new "entertainment" district downtown, with retail, theatres, casino, bars, along with some residential. Ahh the possibilities now that the stadium proposal is dead, kinda. lol.
     
     
  #706  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 3,326
The rail yards is big enough that you could build an outdoor football stadium, parking, and a hotel and still have enough room to build the entertainment district.

Hotels, football stadium, movie theatre, restaurants, and bars all within a ten minute walk. Imagine if they limited vehicular traffic and made it pedestrian friendly. It could become the entertainment capital of the prairies.
     
     
  #707  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 10:08 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Well there's no need for a new casino, and the current library location works great. I would love love love love to have a theatre downtown. No piece of development in Regina would make me happier. The library theatre is already fantastic, so to have a multiplex would be even better.

As nice as the canal idea is, I don't see it as a viable solution as it doesn't seem like an efficient use of this valuable land.

If the canals were some how implemented at Wascana Park though, I'd be all over it.
The reason I suggest the canals is that you have flat land and a blank slate on these lands i.e. you do not have to worry about crossing existing streets and moving underground infastructure. Running a canal from Victoria Park to Wascana, for example would be very expensive as you would have to have many bridges, move underground infastructure and probably take out nearly an entire street - like say Scarth St.

The canals would be an amenity that would enhance property values and take the place of a park or public space that would typically be part of a development such as this.
     
     
  #708  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 10:31 PM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
Just no 🞵🞵🞵🞵 on the site please. It's all I ask from the City.

If the rail yards is viewed as a connecting hub for the Warehouse District and Downtown the City has to be strict on the design and form of the buildings.

No Stucco! The city has rolled over in the past for developers to build 🞵🞵🞵🞵. It can't be like that this time for such an important site.
     
     
  #709  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 3:10 AM
ROC ROC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11
On the CP site, I'm going to vote for a hospital - either to replace the General or relocate the Children's Hospital. Second choice would be relocation of the entire U of R campus.
     
     
  #710  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 2:24 PM
Dan0myte Dan0myte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 927
No, no, no. Wave pool!!! With a huge waterslide park attached!

Maybe we can just buy the equipment used from the failing West Edmonton Mall and just move it all here?
     
     
  #711  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 8:29 PM
The Bess The Bess is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 891
I didn't know Regina had a childrens hospital to locate
     
     
  #712  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2011, 11:23 PM
thefourthtower thefourthtower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Rueannatta
Posts: 2,597
`

Last edited by thefourthtower; Jun 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM.
     
     
  #713  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 12:27 AM
osmo osmo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
We're going to try to steal it from Saskatoon didn't you hear? Clearly the Children's Hospital should be in Regina. Saskatoon has more hospitals than us already and they have the University, the river and a new bridge and we aren't getting a new indoor stadium now so I think we deserve it.
Saskatoon has the Med School, It makes sense the Children's Hospital goes there.
     
     
  #714  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 12:37 AM
dsim249's Avatar
dsim249 dsim249 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 946
^ Pretty sure he was joking.
     
     
  #715  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 1:05 AM
Rodo Regina Lover Rodo Regina Lover is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 219
I was driving west on Gordon Rd. the other night and as I approached the intersection at the Lewan it seemed a little surreal to see all this new developement west of Lewan Dr. After so many years of just prairie out there, it just sort of suprised me, we all the lights etc. This was the first time I had driven that route at night since they started the developement. I also talked to a few salespeople in show homes last Sun. in Harbour Landing and as I work in a restaurant I here all kinds of negative comments about basements collapsing etc. etc. so I decided to chat up a few of these people. It seems pretty certain these are just all rumours and urban myths. One guy said the only negative fact he has heard is someone's drywall buckled in the basement and this was due to them not constructing a " floating wall " when they framed the basement. Any one building in Regina should know you have to have floating walls when framing basements! One showhome got so tired of answering questions about these negative comments that they are handing out a pamphlet explaining that there are no concerns about building in Harbour Landing. The one guy, I think he was from Crawford Homes, said they just purchased another 35 lots for developement and there was no way they would be doing this if any of these rumours he keeps hearing about had any truth to them. You can pick up his hand out at the Crawford showhome!
     
     
  #716  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 3:55 AM
UPP UPP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Regina, Canada
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Saskatoon has the Med School, It makes sense the Children's Hospital goes there.
Ah yes, I forgot, there are no children in either Regina or southern saskatchewan for that matter

But if it's that important, then maybe they should move the Med school to Regina too.
     
     
  #717  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 8:57 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
why move it would u can open a second one
     
     
  #718  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 3:25 PM
Adam's Apple Adam's Apple is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Do the dome!! I vote dome.
Vote for Dome!!!!!!
     
     
  #719  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 3:44 PM
Beadyeyez Beadyeyez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodo Regina Lover View Post
I was driving west on Gordon Rd. the other night and as I approached the intersection at the Lewan it seemed a little surreal to see all this new developement west of Lewan Dr. After so many years of just prairie out there, it just sort of suprised me, we all the lights etc. This was the first time I had driven that route at night since they started the developement. I also talked to a few salespeople in show homes last Sun. in Harbour Landing and as I work in a restaurant I here all kinds of negative comments about basements collapsing etc. etc. so I decided to chat up a few of these people. It seems pretty certain these are just all rumours and urban myths. One guy said the only negative fact he has heard is someone's drywall buckled in the basement and this was due to them not constructing a " floating wall " when they framed the basement. Any one building in Regina should know you have to have floating walls when framing basements! One showhome got so tired of answering questions about these negative comments that they are handing out a pamphlet explaining that there are no concerns about building in Harbour Landing. The one guy, I think he was from Crawford Homes, said they just purchased another 35 lots for developement and there was no way they would be doing this if any of these rumours he keeps hearing about had any truth to them. You can pick up his hand out at the Crawford showhome!
I went through some of the showhomes in Harbour Landing a couple of weeks ago. I am not looking to buy, but I like getting design ideas and see what the new trends are in materials and schemes.

Can someone tell me why designers are starting to build homes with master suites/br's right off living rooms?

Another thing that stood out in one of the homes...there was no full wall or door seperating the master bedroom bathroom from the sleeping area. It reminded me of an outdoor jail toilet I saw on TV. Just a toilet in a corner beside a shower beside a half wall across from the bed.
Nothing like setting the mood watching the facial expressions of your signifigant other while......never mind....
     
     
  #720  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2011, 4:41 PM
Stormer's Avatar
Stormer Stormer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 8,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
why move it would u can open a second one
I was also thinking a synchrotron would fit nicely on the CP railyards. Downtown workers could walk over at lunch to see particles accelerate, rather than blowing money at the Casino or the Cornwall.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.