To show just how cheap construction of the Red Line was, I have compared it with other projects locally and nationally...
Let's review some I posted earlier...
CapMetro Red Line = $651.04/ft
Katy (MKT) Trail in Dallas = $1,244.59/ft
Norfolk Tide Light Rail = $8,701.88/ft
And I would like to add San Antonio's Fredericksburg Road Rapid Bus Line to this list.
Per the EIS
http://viabrt.net/Documents/DraftEA/01Executive%20Summary.pdf
$57,200,000 / 9 miles / 5,280ft/mi =
1,203.70/ft
Yes, CapMetro's Red Line costs half as much as Via's Rapid Bus Primo Line.
Why?
Answer: The rail corridor already existed. Improvements were required to initiate passenger train services; better signaling for both trains and autos, laying some new tracks, buying the trains, building trains stations and building parking lots.
And as this exercise has proved, starting a rapid commuter train service over an existing rail corridor is relatively cheaper to implement. Cheaper than new rapid bus, cheaper than a new bike trail, and cheaper than new light rail.