HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2361  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 8:19 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332


I do a lot of driving in the Maritimes and this looks spot on. Good job David.

If you look at the two hour catchments (which I think is most valid), you can appreciate that the only area where there is overlap is around Truro.

The Moncton and Halifax markets are nearly entirely different.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #2362  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 9:21 PM
wespidel wespidel is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 243
Edmonton must have put in a last minute bid Feb. 11/2011

Last week Halifax council said there were only seven host bids and Edmonton was not including and unless that applied on Feb. 11th deadline they are not in the running. Do you have article confirming their in. I not saying you aren`t correct because they could have put a last minute bid in.
     
     
  #2363  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 9:23 PM
wespidel wespidel is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 243
Correction

Unless they applied, sorry guys!
     
     
  #2364  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 10:07 PM
wespidel wespidel is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 243
Moncton Rad, Attacks!

Listen Moncton Rad, I don`t take attacks at your remarks out of respect, because I have more manners than you. It`s called respect and that remark you made about me was not respectful, it was ignorant and rude. I suggest you learn to respect people`s posts, like I did yours and further more I state the facts and there a lot of important people in the CFL, CFL fans across the country and in govt. that would agree and have agreed with me on the stadium and where a CFL franchise should go in the Atlantic provinces and you know and I know, there only can be one! Even if Moncton were to get a CFL franchise first, it would never survive in Moncton mainly because Moncton does not have the local fan base needed to purchase enough season tickets. Furthermore I supported your Touchdown Atlantic I and will support Touchdown II but would not support a CFL team in Moncton when it should to be in Halifax. Case and point, I also talked to enough poeple from Saint John and Fredericton NB that said the same, they would not support a CFL team in Moncton but would if it was in Halifax. I`m sorry but the facts are facts, if you were to do a survey or confront all the CFL owners and players and the CFL commissioner and if they were to be honest with you and asked where they would prefer a CFL franchise in Atlantic Canada, all of them would say Halifax because it`s the only intelligent and most logical market and the only major city in Atlantic Canada. I never once ran your city down because I like Moncton and have made a lot of friends and spent a lot money in Moncton over the years to do business and Moncton was always my favourite city, in my travels of the Maritimes. But to be totally honest and realiztic Halifax is the right and only city in Atlantic Canada that could support a CFL franchise mainly because of there 3 times larger local population and surrounding area, that they can draw from as well.

So please don`t make ignorant disrespectful remarks and please be more respectful of the facts and show some respect, like I have have shown for your posted remarks which I never made a rude remark about once!
     
     
  #2365  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 10:37 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332


Another bad case of run on.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #2366  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 10:43 PM
David1gray's Avatar
David1gray David1gray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Wes, will you please stop with the run-on sentences! You're giving me a headache.....
i dont really see that as an attack wes. more of a suggestion
     
     
  #2367  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 11:05 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332
Exactly David.

I am not criticizing you Wes, or your opinions (even though I may disagree with them). I'm only criticizing the quality of your prose.

Just slow down and think about what you're going to type before you actually type it or edit it before clicking the submit button.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
     
     
  #2368  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Exactly David.

I am not criticizing you Wes, or your opinions (even though I may disagree with them). I'm only criticizing the quality of your prose.

Just slow down and think about what you're going to type before you actually type it or edit it before clicking the submit button.
Monc Rad I will have to agree with you on this one.....
__________________
Salty Town
     
     
  #2369  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Exactly David.

I am not criticizing you Wes, or your opinions (even though I may disagree with them). I'm only criticizing the quality of your prose.

Just slow down and think about what you're going to type before you actually type it or edit it before clicking the submit button.
I usually have to read through my posts 3 - 4 times to make sure that there are no typos. Even then I pick up mistakes after posting. I use the edit button on a regular basis. Also, I cheat by using Mozilla Firefox (instead of Internet Explorer) which has a good built-in spellchecker.

I hope that you keep posting wespidel since you have a lot of interesting information on the CFL and Halifax stadium.
     
     
  #2370  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 1:09 AM
Welkin Welkin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
As for business cases, I don't think a business case for a Halifax franchise should include NB or PEI (or even CB for that matter) in the equation. Similarly, a business case for a Moncton franchise should not include support from any points lying east (or south) of Truro.

They are two entirely separate things.......
There are two sides to running the business of a CFL franchise. One side is your immediate core market (say Halifax) and who in that market is going to buy tickets to fill the stadium. The marketing plan and projected sales is going to be different in your core markets than in your secondary market. In your secondary market (CB,NB,PEI, NFL) you are not looking for butts in the seats business (although you may get some people from these areas to attend games in Halifax) but you are looking for fans to buy merchandise, build your TV audience, build your radio audience and drive hits your internet websites in order to drive internet advertising/revenue.

Any CFL team based in Halifax should be called the Atlantic (fill in the blank on your favorite nickname) because you will need to sell the CFL to the entire Atlantic area, not just Halifax. One day another team may be placed in Moncton, but until then there are a lot of football fans in CB,NB, PEI and NFL with money in their pocket to spend and a team in the Atlantic region to root for. Any owner of a Halifax based team would be smart to play a pre-season game in Moncton, support amateur/CIS football throughout the Atlantic region and most importantly get team caravans (coaches, players, cheerleaders, etc) out to all major areas throughout the Atlantic area. If there is a fundraiser in Saint John's, someone should show up. If there is a banquet in Charlottetown, someone should show up. If there is a school program in Sydney, someone should show up. That is how you build strong fan support for a franchise in an area as spread out as the Atlantic region. Your goal is to make a football fan in Fredericton or Moncton feel just as much a part of the Atlantic CFL family as a fan in Halifax.
     
     
  #2371  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 2:59 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Show your support for a stadium

There was a story in the Chronicle Herald today. All the naysayers are posting their comments in full force. It is important for people who support a stadium to also post their comments in favour. It may seem like a small thing but unless people show their support, the naysayers will stop a stadium from proceeding one more time. It would also help if people on this forum encourage other supporters to show their support by posting comments on stories regarding the stadium.

Here is a link to the story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1227580.html

Quote:
Kelly’s dream of a stadium: 'The opportunity is here'
By MICHAEL LIGHTSTONE City Hall Reporter
Mon, Feb 14 - 7:24 AM
.
.
.
Q: The federal minister of state for sport, Gary Lunn, said in Halifax on Friday that the Harper government will not be contributing any money for infrastructure hooked to the World Cup. That’s "firm," the minister said. How might that position affect the city’s chances of being part of the FIFA event — and getting a stadium built?

A: I understand that the minister has to treat all municipalities across the country . . . involved with this event the exact same way. For us, we are looking at it in a very focused approach to try to bring on the funding partners. We’ve had some interest from minister (Peter) MacKay and from the private sector, to a fairly strong degree. So, we know the decision will not rest with one government over another. It will be resting with the multitude of stakeholders that we can bring to the table to bring this stadium to fruition.
     
     
  #2372  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 3:37 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
There was a story in the Chronicle Herald today. All the naysayers are posting their comments in full force. It is important for people who support a stadium to also post their comments in favour. It may seem like a small thing but unless people show their support, the naysayers will stop a stadium from proceeding one more time. It would also help if people on this forum encourage other supporters to show their support by posting comments on stories regarding the stadium.

Here is a link to the story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1227580.html
I don't see the naysayers complaining about the 4-plex or Ganada Games field house. Once these types of structures are build it is great to have them in the community and even the naysayers agree. It is not higher taxes that drive people out of the community as much as it is lack of opportunity and infrastructure.
__________________
Salty Town
     
     
  #2373  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 5:33 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I don't see the naysayers complaining about the 4-plex or Ganada Games field house. Once these types of structures are build it is great to have them in the community and even the naysayers agree. It is not higher taxes that drive people out of the community as much as it is lack of opportunity and infrastructure.
I agree. Unfortunately the stadium idea is back on Bruce DeVenne's radar since he was one of the first to post against it. Then there were several other comments that sound almost exactly the same as his. I wonder if opposing a stadium will be his next crusade?
     
     
  #2374  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 7:21 PM
wespidel wespidel is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 243
Moncton Rad, the perfect Postman!

Moncton Rad, these are quick two finger typed posts, that are not written in a professional grammatical way or edited. They are quick typed posts, done from quick thoughts and factual statements that convey the reality of ones opinion. Not a competing hollywood screenplay documentary, or a scholastic manuscript, to be entered in a movie screenplay or literary contest. We all have the freedom of liberty to type on this site what we desire, which I do appreciate and respect but not to insult and humiliate people that are willing to take the time to post comments to make the site interested and inviting. I suggest maybe you don`t have the ability or patience to absorb my posts, along with your other supporter who made the same ignorant rude comments about my posts, than don`t read them. I would prefer someone else to read them that has a little more respect for people that are not insulting and rude human beings. I will welcome any decent respectful remark but not an ignorant insulting remark that is totally disrespectful of others, please reframe and stop this! Actually I have decided this time for sure to exit because of people like you, so you won`t have the opportunity to insult me anymore but I`m sure you and your other insulting team will continue to insult others!
     
     
  #2375  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 8:04 PM
MaritimeCFLFan's Avatar
MaritimeCFLFan MaritimeCFLFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
There was a story in the Chronicle Herald today. All the naysayers are posting their comments in full force. It is important for people who support a stadium to also post their comments in favour. It may seem like a small thing but unless people show their support, the naysayers will stop a stadium from proceeding one more time. It would also help if people on this forum encourage other supporters to show their support by posting comments on stories regarding the stadium.

Here is a link to the story - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1227580.html

I posted (MaritimeSportsFan on the Herald), waiting for the moderators to display what I said. These people that are posting against a stadium are narrow minded naysayers. I'm sure the vast majority of people are in favor of a stadium.
     
     
  #2376  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 8:08 PM
brettinhalifax brettinhalifax is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 109
account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:19 AM. Reason: account deleted
     
     
  #2377  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 8:46 PM
MaritimeCFLFan's Avatar
MaritimeCFLFan MaritimeCFLFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
There are two sides to running the business of a CFL franchise. One side is your immediate core market (say Halifax) and who in that market is going to buy tickets to fill the stadium. The marketing plan and projected sales is going to be different in your core markets than in your secondary market. In your secondary market (CB,NB,PEI, NFL) you are not looking for butts in the seats business (although you may get some people from these areas to attend games in Halifax) but you are looking for fans to buy merchandise, build your TV audience, build your radio audience and drive hits your internet websites in order to drive internet advertising/revenue.

Any CFL team based in Halifax should be called the Atlantic (fill in the blank on your favorite nickname) because you will need to sell the CFL to the entire Atlantic area, not just Halifax. One day another team may be placed in Moncton, but until then there are a lot of football fans in CB,NB, PEI and NFL with money in their pocket to spend and a team in the Atlantic region to root for. Any owner of a Halifax based team would be smart to play a pre-season game in Moncton, support amateur/CIS football throughout the Atlantic region and most importantly get team caravans (coaches, players, cheerleaders, etc) out to all major areas throughout the Atlantic area. If there is a fundraiser in Saint John's, someone should show up. If there is a banquet in Charlottetown, someone should show up. If there is a school program in Sydney, someone should show up. That is how you build strong fan support for a franchise in an area as spread out as the Atlantic region. Your goal is to make a football fan in Fredericton or Moncton feel just as much a part of the Atlantic CFL family as a fan in Halifax.
My feelings (only my opinion) on the whole CFL in the Maritimes situation would look something like this.

If HRM does indeed move forward and build a proper sized stadium with potential to expand for Gray Cups then you will see potential owners come forth and the CFL will indeed grant a Maritime CFL (HRM based) franchise. This franchise will indeed be known as the Atlantic ..... or Maritime ....

Although the team will be based out of HRM, Moncton would probably host somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 exhibition game and as many as 3 regular season games. Any playoff games would be held in HRM. This would be the best way to promote the franchise to the max number of Maritimers (IMO).

If HRM does not build a proper sized stadium then there will be no Maritime CFL team granted. I'm not saying there are not Great CFL fans in Moncton because that is not true, I was at Touchdown Atlantic last September and I saw first hand that there are. I just do not beleive there are enough of them to support a full time franchise and I seriously doubt that the CFL would take the huge risk of granting Moncton a franchise only to possibly watch it fail. However the CFL would continue to bring 1 or 2 regular season games to Moncton each year and they would be a success.

If HRM decides to build a similiar type stadium as Moncton and not a proper stadium (I would not be in favor of this) then also Halifax would probably get 1 or 2 regular season games each year as well and they would be a success.

Just my opinion people.
     
     
  #2378  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 9:08 PM
brettinhalifax brettinhalifax is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 109
account deleted

Last edited by brettinhalifax; Mar 8, 2011 at 4:19 AM. Reason: account deleted
     
     
  #2379  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 9:57 PM
c-way-dude c-way-dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaritimeCFLFan View Post
My feelings (only my opinion) on the whole CFL in the Maritimes situation would look something like this.

If HRM does indeed move forward and build a proper sized stadium with potential to expand for Gray Cups then you will see potential owners come forth and the CFL will indeed grant a Maritime CFL (HRM based) franchise. This franchise will indeed be known as the Atlantic ..... or Maritime ....

Although the team will be based out of HRM, Moncton would probably host somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 exhibition game and as many as 3 regular season games. Any playoff games would be held in HRM. This would be the best way to promote the franchise to the max number of Maritimers (IMO).

If HRM does not build a proper sized stadium then there will be no Maritime CFL team granted. I'm not saying there are not Great CFL fans in Moncton because that is not true, I was at Touchdown Atlantic last September and I saw first hand that there are. I just do not beleive there are enough of them to support a full time franchise and I seriously doubt that the CFL would take the huge risk of granting Moncton a franchise only to possibly watch it fail. However the CFL would continue to bring 1 or 2 regular season games to Moncton each year and they would be a success.

If HRM decides to build a similiar type stadium as Moncton and not a proper stadium (I would not be in favor of this) then also Halifax would probably get 1 or 2 regular season games each year as well and they would be a success.

Just my opinion people.
I wouldn't play more than two games per year in Moncton for a couple of reasons:
1. Officials in Moncton have stated that they would like 2 games to help cover the cost of putting up the temporary seating.
2. Even though it is close and would technically be a home game (assuming Moncton fans would cheer for the city that took away their chance of getting a team), it will be like a road game in that there would be travel and a probable hotel stay involved. Over the course of a long season, the players take a beating, and adding up to 4 games involving extra travel wouldn't be a positive. I doubt New Brunswickers would care about seeing a pre-season game. Some would see it as a money grab.
I think that I would stll give a team the Nova Scotia/Halifax name, under the guise that Moncton might eventually get their own team.
Aside from that, I am in complete agreement with you.
     
     
  #2380  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2011, 10:18 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by wespidel View Post
Moncton Rad, these are quick two finger typed posts, that are not written in a professional grammatical way or edited. They are quick typed posts, done from quick thoughts and factual statements that convey the reality of ones opinion. Not a competing hollywood screenplay documentary, or a scholastic manuscript, to be entered in a movie screenplay or literary contest. We all have the freedom of liberty to type on this site what we desire, which I do appreciate and respect but not to insult and humiliate people that are willing to take the time to post comments to make the site interested and inviting. I suggest maybe you don`t have the ability or patience to absorb my posts, along with your other supporter who made the same ignorant rude comments about my posts, than don`t read them. I would prefer someone else to read them that has a little more respect for people that are not insulting and rude human beings. I will welcome any decent respectful remark but not an ignorant insulting remark that is totally disrespectful of others, please reframe and stop this! Actually I have decided this time for sure to exit because of people like you, so you won`t have the opportunity to insult me anymore but I`m sure you and your other insulting team will continue to insult others!
This was actually very well composed .

It takes a thick-skin to post one's thoughts on-line. Every time I state my views on a certain topic I realize that I might get negative feedback.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.