HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


    MNP Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 11:16 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
My comment was in reference to making it even higher to be taller than Shaw Tower.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 11:38 PM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
I agree with the comment I saw about making the crown steeper. Could be a way of getting it up over 160 without throwing in another elevator core. Personally I feel it would look best if it were exactly twice the height of the Marine Building.

Big question though, will the crown be lit up?




Regardless, I'm joining the choir, the new building design is outstanding!
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:41 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Here's the entrance canopy to the Bishopsgate Tower (The Pinnacle) in London
- It would be nice if 1021's canopy extended further over the sidewalk (even if as an "add-on" canopy).

Pic posted on SSC:


http://www.skyscrapernews.com/images/pics/2839TheBishopsgateTower_pic2.jpg


http://www.willfox.com/images/skyscrapers/bishopsgatetower/base.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:50 AM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
That glazing is pretty fantastic, I'd love to see that here! The entrance canopy is also pretty wicked there, but won't most of the entrance be integrated into the old University Club building?
__________________
Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:54 AM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
I love the look of the canopy, but wont there be concern for falling glass in the event of an earthquake?
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:58 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Vancouver already has tons of glass canopies - this would be no different in a 'quake.
Not sure where the entrance to the tower would be - I thought the University Club Building was going to be retail.
I could see a canopy overlapping a few feet in front of the University Club and wrapping all the way around to the Cordova side.

BTW - I just noticed that the 3 corners of the 1021 tower are all different.

- NE is chamfered (a bevelled corner)
- the SE is pointed
- SW is rounded
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 3:18 AM
navazan navazan is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
I love the look of the canopy, but wont there be concern for falling glass in the event of an earthquake?
if the big one ever hits, a bit of extra falling glass aint gonna make a difference to the fact that most of us will be totally f**ked
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 4:15 PM
Cypherus's Avatar
Cypherus Cypherus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,759
Looks like the view cone restriction for that site is 550' (with flexible increase to 600'). If Dubai can build supertalls in the sand, I don't see why this tower can't increase its height by another 100' despite its small footprint. I love this tower's menacing design and I'd hate to see it buried under the sea of Vancouver's other 450' towers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:18 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Looks like the view cone restriction for that site is 550' (with flexible increase to 600'). If Dubai can build supertalls in the sand, I don't see why this tower can't increase its height by another 100' despite its small footprint. I love this tower's menacing design and I'd hate to see it buried under the sea of Vancouver's other 450' towers.

Agreed! .... 100% ... word for word ....
(this 450 tower baloney has Got to GO!! )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 5:49 PM
Mininari Mininari is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Victoria (formerly Port Moody, then Winnipeg)
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post

Agreed! .... 100% ... word for word ....
(this 450 tower baloney has Got to GO!! )
Not to mention that if the view cone map shows permissivity up to 550', AND its a prominent design, AND its going to be in the view shadow of other buildings anyway...

So a little of the building sticks out into a 400' zone. BIG DEAL.
This is a tremendous opportunity to add a prominent, signature OFFICE TOWER to the skyline. Even if it doesn't meet the top-quality architectural expectations of everyone, its still a very nice design given the constrained site. Plus, lets not forget we're talking about a potential new "tallest office-only" tower!

Come on, council... show us you're serious about improving the skyline, and let them push this one up to the height it deserves so that it can properly "stand above the Shaw and Fairmont."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 7:23 PM
PaperTiger's Avatar
PaperTiger PaperTiger is offline
scared of rain
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Gastown
Posts: 526
I think this building is great, and not the place for the ultimate signature office tower. A little more height would be nice, if unlikely.

Personally I think the Telus site, The Bay parkade, the post office and Larwill Park (either in front or behind the new VAG) are the sites we should be looking for true signature towers.

For all you UDP hater’s, Look at this proposal and look at the previous one and try and tell me the first one was better. I can guarantee that it would have been cheaper to build and therefore more profitable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 8:28 PM
EastVanMark EastVanMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperTiger View Post
I think this building is great, and not the place for the ultimate signature office tower.
Agreed. The new design for the tower is fantastic but its location will dampen it's impact. This tower on the Telus site would be tremendous boost to the bland architecture in the downtown core. Instead its wedged between two buildings, one of which is historic landmark.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 8:54 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherus View Post
Looks like the view cone restriction for that site is 550' (with flexible increase to 600'). If Dubai can build supertalls in the sand, I don't see why this tower can't increase its height by another 100' despite its small footprint. I love this tower's menacing design and I'd hate to see it buried under the sea of Vancouver's other 450' towers.
Just a note that if the view cone limits it to 550', then that's the maximum height. The view cone takes precedence over the 600' discretionary limit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 9:03 PM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Just a note that if the view cone limits it to 550', then that's the maximum height. The view cone takes precedence over the 600' discretionary limit.
That is still around 165 meters... Pretty good height if you ask me.
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 9:55 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post

That is still around 165 meters...
167.64 metres, to be exact. Those extra 23 metres are vital to the design's successful achievement of its natural architectural telos. It is easy to see that the height of the current design stops about 6 stories short of self-perfection, like so many other buildings in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:09 PM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
167.64 metres, to be exact. Those extra 23 metres are vital to the design's successful achievement of its natural architectural telos. It is easy to see that the height of the current design stops about 6 stories short of self-perfection, like so many other buildings in Vancouver.
I'm not saying it is bad in it's current form. But as slender as it is, it still looks short butted up against the Marine building and the Guinness tower, and I think a greater height (approaching twice the height of both, but that isn't possible) would give it better proportions compared to the two adjacent buildings. It would also have the benefit of helping what appears to be a magnificent looking tower stand out more compared to the rest.

As well, a 25-30 meter elevation difference between it and the Shaw & Fairmont, stepping back from the Harbour would look good on it's own, and add to the big city feel of Vancouver's downtown. Effectively, it would make the two large towers that are right on the water seem small compared to what is behind it.
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:14 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post

I think a greater height (approaching twice the height of both, but that isn't possible) would give it better proportions compared to the two adjacent buildings.
I think your intuition is correct. I think classical principles of proportion demand that it be twice the height of the Marine Building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:35 PM
Canadian Mind's Avatar
Canadian Mind Canadian Mind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I think your intuition is correct. I think classical principles of proportion demand that it be twice the height of the Marine Building.
If for nothing else it would make for a magnificent backdrop for the Marine building, it is an incredible contrast of design. And while I can't put my finger on why, I think having it too short ruins the concept of it being a backdrop.
__________________
"you're eating chicken periods" - Vid
"I love eggs, especially the ones with runny yolks" - Me
"EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, you're disgusting!" - Vid
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 10:48 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Agree with Leftcoaster, it will be very tough to make it higher, at 36flrs of office space already, the elevators are stretched as is. Add a few more floors you probably need an additional elevator wiping out a sizable amount of sqftage on every floor. They could certainly make each floor taller but they won't get much more money in lease rates for that. We'll see how things play out.
Just occurred to me...

Maybe the solution to adding more floors would be using double-decker elevators (for one bank of elevators i.e. the lower portion)?

Both First Canadain Place and Scotia Plaza in Toronto use double decker elevators.

Of course, that would require redesign of the lobby to a two-storey configuration (as well as educating tenants and slowing things down generally whenever the elevator cab is serving a "wrong" floor).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 11:52 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Arrow ... a potential masterpiece in the making ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
That is still around 165 meters... Pretty good height if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
167.64 metres, to be exact. Those extra 23 metres are vital to the design's successful achievement of its natural architectural telos. It is easy to see that the height of the current design stops about 6 stories short of self-perfection, like so many other buildings in Vancouver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
I think your intuition is correct. I think classical principles of proportion demand that it be twice the height of the Marine Building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
If for nothing else it would make for a magnificent backdrop for the Marine building, it is an incredible contrast of design. And while I can't put my finger on why, I think having it too short ruins the concept of it being a backdrop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Just occurred to me...

Maybe the solution to adding more floors would be using double-decker elevators (for one bank of elevators i.e. the lower portion)?

Both First Canadain Place and Scotia Plaza in Toronto use double decker elevators.

Of course, that would require redesign of the lobby to a two-storey configuration (as well as educating tenants and slowing things down generally whenever the elevator cab is serving a "wrong" floor).
Please, God, there MUST be a way of getting this one the right height. If we pray, lobby, demonstrate ..... it has to be high, as Prometheus and C.M. say .... this is too good an opportunity to waste for a viewcone. If there is ever an exception to the viewcone ruling to be made ... please let this be it ......
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:24 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.