If only he had remained behind a cubicle with his peers. This is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen proposed in the world let alone NYC and I'm going to be furious if this is approved. HIDEOUS.
Are you nuts??!!! This building is spectacular! I think you're in the super-extreme minority with this one...
OK. It says 450 ft at the website. Send me the official release so I can change the figures from what they have here. http://www.big.dk/projects/w57/
From the Durst-Fetner press release-
By keeping three corners of the block low and lifting the north-east corner up towards its 467 ft peak, the courtyard opens views towards the Hudson River, bringing low western sun deep into the block and graciously preserving the adjacent Helena Tower’s views of the river.
Wow. I went from completely hating to completely loving this structure in the few seconds it took me to scroll through the renders. They better use quality materials here.
Wow. I went from completely hating to completely loving this structure in the few seconds it took me to scroll through the renders. They better use quality materials here.
I wasn't quite in the hate to start, but the renders got better and better. Definitely a change in what we normally see in North America for apartments.
...Yesterday, Durst Fetner Residential announced that it is officially moving forward with the 600-unit rental project to be designed by Ingel's eponymous group (BIG), following a profile of the architect in the latest issue of New York magazine. The project will go before the local community board Wednesday night, and Douglas Durst told The Observer in an interview that he expects the project to begin the official public review process a year from now. That means we could see construction as early as 2012.
...When asked why he would dare undetake such a dynamic project in this market, cousin and co-conspirator Jody Durst reponded, "A strong back and a weak mind."
"We had nothing better to do at the time," Douglas Durst followed. Then he gave the real explanation. "Basically the answer is, we know, to get the approvals, we had to do something spectacular," the elder Durst said. So this was the will of exacting Planning Commissioner Amanda Burden? "Certainly not!" (Later in the interview, Douglas Durst would allow: "We've been told by the Planning Commission that this is really a gateway to Manhattan and it really has to be stunning.")
No sure W57th street is a"gateway" to Manhattan at least not on the same level as W42nd, neverthless, its in a highly visible location, thus, something spectacular, which this is, will be appreciated.