HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 2:12 PM
Welkin Welkin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Also he said to me that the province has 'about' $350-370mil already commited to the project (he said he thinks the numbers are $200mil province, $70-80mil city, $75mil private, and a significant number from the Riders) so even if the feds can't come through they can either look for more funding elsewhere or settle for something a little less 'cadillac' than whats being proposed.
For the stakeholders in a community our size to have committed $370 million towards this project is very impressive. I was surprised to see the province being able to commit a giant chunk of $200 million. Lets hope they have better luck selling the bonds than Glendale, AZ. (NHL in Winnipeg thread). But again, overall it is very impressive.

Regardless of previous quotes on this thread, I still don't see this project happening (in its current form) without $100 million plus from the federal government. Since it is going to cost Winnipeg $190 million for their new stadium and Hamilton $160 million for their renovated stadium, how much "less Cadillac" are we talking about for our $370 million? I think the retractable roof is probably out of the question and that was the major selling point of this project. Are we looking at just a bigger version of the FargoDome? Are we really looking at Dome football in the summer?

Unless we can figure out a way to raise another $100-$150 million in the province (unless the Feds kick in and solve all our problems), I'm not sure we should spend our $370 million on a basic dome stadium. I think we should either raise the money and spend $470 million on a really neat retractable roof stadium or spend $190 million on a really nice outdoor stadium. I see no reason to spend $370 million for something in the middle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:05 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.