Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan
There would be no point in a tunnel unless it could be connected to Highway 1. And that is never going to happen. The ideal solution already existed. It was the viaducts pre-bike lane.
|
Ah yes, the hippie-dippies and their cutesey lttle bike lanes ....
In fact, I was NOT thinkig of a tunnel all the way to Highway 1. That's prohibitively expensive. I was thinking of tunnels out of downtown, under Strathcona, curving north to where the large railway lines are (and always will be), then going east on the surface, or elevated, and connecting with Highway 1 in an interchange around the Cassiar Tunnel.
It would be a big, complex interchange, no doubt, but it's just a way of getting traffic - mostly commuter I imagine, in and out of the CBD via the east side, making as little impact on the city's neighbourhoods as possible.
Anyway, I'm not an engineer, so if these seems impracticable ... it probably is. At least I tried.