HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 5:14 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Expanding Houghton Road might be better than building the Rainbow Bridge...
Houghton is being expanded. in various segments from 2009-2019.
http://cms3.tucsonaz.gov/project/houghton-road

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 6:39 AM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by acatalanb View Post
I have this same outrage towards these 'crabby unpleasant' people.

I have my own theories why they are who they are :
1. They just enjoy complaining and ranting
2. They fear change
3. They fear taking risks or investing for the future
4. They refused to realized Tucson is a major metropolitan city ( US City Ranking ) . We're right besides Vegas, Atlanta and Portland - forward looking cities.

I'm looking forward to the day when Tucson extends that light rail and builds that cross-town freeway on Grant Rd - A sign that the NIMBY's have finally lost! ... let me add an air-tram to Mt. Lemon ( Portland has one ) and yes, our very own tower .
People do NEED to accept the fact that Tucson isn't the small town "pueblo" they want it to be. And yes, Downtown has regained some momentum and we can still add to it. Convention Center hotel might be lost, but damn I would love to see something done to the Hotel Arizona and perhaps an embassy suites downtown like Humberto Lopez suggested wouldn't be such a bad idea...but if they can privat finance it....better. In the 5 years I've lived in Tucson, downtown has gotten some life for sure.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 1:28 PM
Emperor Disco I

Let's face it folks, our beloved America needs a massive infrastructure overhaul. My residential neighborhood downtown (Armory Park) needs to replace ALL of it's roads. I'm in favor of renovation but I wished the streetlights at Armory Park be replaced with more modern ones.

Btw, Armory Park isn't what used to be. It's clean, most of the houses here have been refurbished (and still are) and crime have been significantly reduced. I see people walk or bike to the local 17th St. Market even at night. I've been tempted to take photos and post the pictures of this neighborhood but I fear getting sued or arrested by TPD. The historic houses here are superior than the KB Homes that are being built today.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 1:47 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Expanding Houghton Road might be better than building the Rainbow Bridge...
C'mon man, the Rainbow Bridge needs to be built. Imagine driving from the east side to downtown and you see this huge white bridge getting bigger. I can see myself eating a breakfast burro on a Sunday morning staring at this bridge.

Heck, I can see myself eating a burro during Tucson's summer rustic reddish orange sunset and sunrise on top of a Tower staring at the Saguaro Nat'l Park. In fact, way back, I remember working in one of the buildings by broadway/rosemont after a rainy day, I got a good view of the Catalina mountains with houses below slightly covered with morning mist. Tucson has some nice unique views.

The Rainbow Bridge, Tower and an Air Tram can repay it's debt with fees. They're tourist attractions which translates to $$$ to the local business - somehow the NIMBY's in this town can't seem to connect the dots...either have an empty dusty lot and rundown buildings filled with crime or create $$$ with the Bridge,Tower and Air Tram and beautify the area.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2011, 2:21 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
People do NEED to accept the fact that Tucson isn't the small town "pueblo" they want it to be. And yes, Downtown has regained some momentum and we can still add to it. Convention Center hotel might be lost, but damn I would love to see something done to the Hotel Arizona and perhaps an embassy suites downtown like Humberto Lopez suggested wouldn't be such a bad idea...but if they can privat finance it....better. In the 5 years I've lived in Tucson, downtown has gotten some life for sure.
I won't complain to Humberto if he pays his own and rebuilds Hotel AZ into something like this or this They don't have to be that tall either ....

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 8:05 AM

Quote:
C'mon man, the Rainbow Bridge needs to be built. Imagine driving from the east side to downtown and you see this huge white bridge getting bigger. I can see myself eating a breakfast burro on a Sunday morning staring at this bridge.

Heck, I can see myself eating a burro during Tucson's summer rustic reddish orange sunset and sunrise on top of a Tower staring at the Saguaro Nat'l Park. In fact, way back, I remember working in one of the buildings by broadway/rosemont after a rainy day, I got a good view of the Catalina mountains with houses below slightly covered with morning mist. Tucson has some nice unique views.

The Rainbow Bridge, Tower and an Air Tram can repay it's debt with fees. They're tourist attractions which translates to $$$ to the local business - somehow the NIMBY's in this town can't seem to connect the dots...either have an empty dusty lot and rundown buildings filled with crime or create $$$ with the Bridge,Tower and Air Tram and beautify the area.
I totally agree about the Rainbow bridge. Tucson NEEDS a MAJOR attraction. A good friend of mine said that the only thing that has Tucson going is the U of A! Its kind of true without the university, Tucson would be just a cactus town... Tucson is a major metropolitan with so much potential. I love Tucson and want it to be a city that people want to stay in.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:24 PM
Emperor Disco I

I'm sure an Air Tram will be a home run in terms of $$$ to our METROPOLITAN city, Tucson. As everyone knows, it gets freakin hot during the summer, I'm tempted to go to the mountains to cool off but it's just so damn far. I'm willing to pay the same fee as a bus ride to go to the mountain for an hour or two and go back to the 32nd largest city in the largest country of the western hemisphere!!

I'm going to email the mayor and some city council members in support for an Air Tram ... I'll include a link to Portland's Air Tram. Help yourself if you want to do the same.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 3:49 PM

Quote:
I'm sure an Air Tram will be a home run in terms of $$$ to our METROPOLITAN city, Tucson. As everyone knows, it gets freakin hot during the summer, I'm tempted to go to the mountains to cool off but it's just so damn far. I'm willing to pay the same fee as a bus ride to go to the mountain for an hour or two and go back to the 32nd largest city in the largest country of the western hemisphere!!

I'm going to email the mayor and some city council members in support for an Air Tram ... I'll include a link to Portland's Air Tram. Help yourself if you want to do the same.
Sorry to say the only thing that seperates Tucson from El Paso is the UofA
campus.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 12:31 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Sorry to say the only thing that seperates Tucson from El Paso is the UofA campus.
What does El Paso have to do with anything being discussed here? or were you just sharing a random fun fact? lol

Old Posted Feb 1, 2011, 3:19 AM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixwillrise View Post
Sorry to say the only thing that seperates Tucson from El Paso is the UofA
campus.
Well, hello Debbie Downer.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2011, 9:48 PM
Tucsonan

Plaza Centro is actually looking very nice and urban as you enter downtown, i'll have to try to get a photo of the construction from that angle.

Plaza Centro garage work greets drivers into Downtown

By Teya Vitu

As you emerge from the Broadway underpass, concrete columns stick out of the ground and a rounded, wooden shell gives the first sense of the Plaza Centro Garage at the very east edge of Downtown.

The rounded south end is the curved ramp for what will be a 370-space garage scheduled to open at the end of August.

What the construction site is not telling you yet is that the Plaza Centro Garage brings with it Downtown’s first truly urban setting.

The Pennington Street Garage from 2005 was Parkwise’s first foray into adding urban touches into a garage. Café Poca Cosa sits on the garage’s street level as do the Parkwise and Downtown Tucson Partnership offices.

The Plaza Centro Garage, 345 E. Congress St., takes that hint of urbanity to the next level.

The tiny 1.93-acre site is wedged between Congress Street, the Fourth Avenue underpass and the railroad tracks and will offer 20,000 square feet of street-level retail, 8,000 square feet of townhouse or office space and 50,000 square feet for an estimated 50 residential units. And, oh yes, the 370-space parking garage on four above-ground levels.

“We are creating a true urban environment,” said Teresa Vasquez, downtown planner for the Downtown Tucson Partnership.

The retail and office/townhouse space will wrap around the western and northern faces to largely mask the garage in back. The 50 residential units would go atop the garage, said Chris Leighton, parking program coordinator for the city’s Parkwise, which operates the parking meters and the Pennington, Depot Plaza, Library and City/State garages.

Parkwise is in partnership with Jim Campbell of Oasis Tucson, who would build the residential and office space.

Plaza Centro has been Campbell’s brainchild for more than five years and would also include mixed-use development on the city parking lot (former Greyhound station) between the Rialto Theatre and Plaza Centro Garage. That lot will close once the garage opens, Leighton said.

Construction so far has focused more on each end rather than the middle. By early February, work had reached the third of the four levels.

“It’s getting to a point where people may start getting a sense of what it will look like,” Leighton said.

D.L. Withers Construction is building the garage. D.L. Withers moved its offices Downtown a year ago to 147 N. Stone Ave., and was the title sponsor for the Downtown Parade of Lights in December.

Construction started in October on the $6.5 million Plaza Centro Garage, at the same time Parkwise opened the 286-space underground Depot Plaza Garage next to the new Martin Luther King Jr. Apartments and the One North Fifth Apartments.

Drivers really haven’t found the Depot Plaza Garage yet because the plaza atop it remains a fenced-off but unworked construction site. Access is on Fifth Avenue just behind One North Fifth and across from the west end of Hotel Congress.

“It’s very low usage right now,” Leighton acknowledged. “It’s a very convenient location for the east end of Downtown.”

Half the garage is set aside for monthly rentals from One North fifth and MLK tenants, and half are available to the public at the same rates that apply at the other Parkwise garages: a free first hour and $2 for 2 hours.

But the Depot Plaza Garage is the only Parkwise-operated garage where you can pay by credit card at the gate if you forget to pay before you get back to your car.

The city leases the Depot Plaza Garage from the Rio Nuevo Multipurpose Facilities District, which owns the garage, and Parkwise operates it.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 12:15 AM
Tucsonan

A possible new 11 floor tower might be coming, which for Tucson is quite significant haha

Student housing could fill Downtown’s eastern end
By Teya Vitu

A pair of proposals for University of Arizona student housing could redefine the eastern end of Downtown, now dominated by Hotel Congress and the Rialto Theatre and Rialto Block.

Oasis Tucson’s Jim Campbell and Peach Properties’ Ron Schwabe could both be selected by UA to build student housing towers to the east and south of the Rialto Theatre. They were among five submittals to a UA request for proposals for 300 to 1,200 housing units along the proposed streetcar route or near the university.

More than one proposal could be picked, but any announcement could be delayed for a couple months as the university’s budgeting process must be completed to determine if this project will move ahead, project manager J.T. Fey said.

Campbell, in partnership with Capstone Development, wants to build an 11-story tower with 550-600 beds for students on the city parking lot next to the Rialto Theatre (the former Greyhound terminal site). That proposal also calls for another 150 student beds in a three-story structure atop the Plaza Centro Garage now under construction.

“We’re waiting on the University of Arizona,” Campbell said. “We put a lot of our eggs in the student housing. If the UA deal falls apart, we can potential put 72 apartments in three stories on top of the Plaza Centro Garage.”

Schwabe has a vacant lot at the southeast corner of Broadway and Fifth Avenue, where he proposes three stories of student housing above a four-story parking garage. There would be 148 units with 360 beds, Schwabe said.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 1:43 AM
Emperor Disco I

It's nice to see a lot of students downtown. It guarantees that downtown housing will be at full capacity. Now if downtown could build at least one grocery store and a mini target or walmart ....

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 9:45 AM
Todo para la familia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
A possible new 11 floor tower might be coming, which for Tucson is quite significant haha

Student housing could fill Downtown’s eastern end
By Teya Vitu

A pair of proposals for University of Arizona student housing could redefine the eastern end of Downtown, now dominated by Hotel Congress and the Rialto Theatre and Rialto Block.

Oasis Tucson’s Jim Campbell and Peach Properties’ Ron Schwabe could both be selected by UA to build student housing towers to the east and south of the Rialto Theatre. They were among five submittals to a UA request for proposals for 300 to 1,200 housing units along the proposed streetcar route or near the university.

More than one proposal could be picked, but any announcement could be delayed for a couple months as the university’s budgeting process must be completed to determine if this project will move ahead, project manager J.T. Fey said.

Campbell, in partnership with Capstone Development, wants to build an 11-story tower with 550-600 beds for students on the city parking lot next to the Rialto Theatre (the former Greyhound terminal site). That proposal also calls for another 150 student beds in a three-story structure atop the Plaza Centro Garage now under construction.

“We’re waiting on the University of Arizona,” Campbell said. “We put a lot of our eggs in the student housing. If the UA deal falls apart, we can potential put 72 apartments in three stories on top of the Plaza Centro Garage.”

Schwabe has a vacant lot at the southeast corner of Broadway and Fifth Avenue, where he proposes three stories of student housing above a four-story parking garage. There would be 148 units with 360 beds, Schwabe said.
11 stories is a big deal for Tucson...and picture this....a decent size tower facing most of Tucson.....At DM we have a decent view of downtown so that tower will be a nice addition. The proximity to the HOCO/Rialto Block will be nice for the students to unwind.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2011, 2:34 PM
Emperor Disco I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locofresh55 View Post
11 stories is a big deal for Tucson...and picture this....a decent size tower facing most of Tucson.....At DM we have a decent view of downtown so that tower will be a nice addition. The proximity to the HOCO/Rialto Block will be nice for the students to unwind.
Glad for your support for a tower downtown. We really need a tower not just for tourism but also the need for 'enhancing or upgrading' our access to electronic communications - city wide internet wifi, digital tv reception, cell phone etc...

Downtown has an ugly looking communications tower. Might as well have something nice looking and taller. I'd support building such towers at least in the first 50 largest cities in America....including El Paso, Tx

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 8:30 AM
Tucsonan

Heres a video about Hub Restaurant which is opening this month.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZM3GPz45qeY

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 10:36 PM
Tucsonan

New TEP tower construction will top out this month

By Teya Vitu

February marks the month that construction of the new UniSource Energy/Tucson Electric Power headquarters will reach its highest point, nine stories.

From there it will be a race to outfit the concrete skeleton for human habitation by the targeted Nov. 11 opening date, or 11/11/11, as TEP people are saying. The site is on Broadway between Sixth and Scott avenues.

“I think we may even be ahead of schedule,” said Steve Lynn, TEP’s vice president and chief customer officer.

TEP is moving with lightning speed to build its new headquarters, which will increase the power company’s Downtown presence from 85 employees to about 435. TEP’s prowess stands in complete contrast to Rio Nuevo and the first decade of the 21st century Downtown.

TEP bought the vacant Santa Rita Hotel from Humberto S. Lopez in July 2009, demolished it between September and November 2009, started excavating a hole in April 2010, with the building rising to street level by late summer 2010.

“When you get he private sector involved, you get a very efficient process because time is money,” Lynn said.

Lynn said TEP collaborated very closely with city officials to talk through the building plans at the earliest stages.

Phoenix-based construction firm Ryan Companies has already started some interior framing.

The structure will also have 12,300-square-feet of street-level retail. No tenants have been announced.

“We hope to have retail close to ready to go when we open,” Lynn said.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post

New TEP tower construction will top out this month

By Teya Vitu

February marks the month that construction of the new UniSource Energy/Tucson Electric Power headquarters will reach its highest point, nine stories.

From there it will be a race to outfit the concrete skeleton for human habitation by the targeted Nov. 11 opening date, or 11/11/11, as TEP people are saying. The site is on Broadway between Sixth and Scott avenues.

“I think we may even be ahead of schedule,” said Steve Lynn, TEP’s vice president and chief customer officer.

TEP is moving with lightning speed to build its new headquarters, which will increase the power company’s Downtown presence from 85 employees to about 435. TEP’s prowess stands in complete contrast to Rio Nuevo and the first decade of the 21st century Downtown.

TEP bought the vacant Santa Rita Hotel from Humberto S. Lopez in July 2009, demolished it between September and November 2009, started excavating a hole in April 2010, with the building rising to street level by late summer 2010.

“When you get he private sector involved, you get a very efficient process because time is money,” Lynn said.

Lynn said TEP collaborated very closely with city officials to talk through the building plans at the earliest stages.

Phoenix-based construction firm Ryan Companies has already started some interior framing.

The structure will also have 12,300-square-feet of street-level retail. No tenants have been announced.

“We hope to have retail close to ready to go when we open,” Lynn said.
It's lookin' good!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 2:13 AM
Emperor Disco I

If there is one businessman that would benefit most from the new downtown TEP headquarters it's Janos (of Kitchen + Cocktails restaurant). Almost everyday I see Kitchen + Cocktails filled almost to full capacity. I just passed by awhile ago and the restaurant looks like it's about to burst from it's seams. He needs to expand his restaurant.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 5:16 PM

Smile

I've been gone from Tucson for a year and a half now, would love to see some pics of newer businesses, remodels, and construction!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest