HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #701  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 2:32 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,318
I do like the name Pinnacle...
my only negative thing is that I had a gut reaction of "well if a 30 story building is the pinnacle, then by default 30 stories is the highest building that will ever be in Halifax"! :-)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #702  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:00 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I do like the name Pinnacle...
my only negative thing is that I had a gut reaction of "well if a 30 story building is the pinnacle, then by default 30 stories is the highest building that will ever be in Halifax"! :-)
Probably this will be the tallest that will be built in many years (unless it turns out very well and it causes people's attitudes towards tall buildings change). However, I added Harbour Pinnacle to make it a bit more specific (maybe it could be Harbour Point Pinnacle). We need more of these
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #703  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 3:02 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It seems to fit a 30 plus story building better. However, if it is being used for a nearby building then I guess it rules it out. It has been used for buildings in other cities so it isn't really a unique name. (Coming up with a unique name will likely be impossible).

Are there renderings for the project at the Royal Bank parking lot?
There is a drawing on the diagrams database here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #704  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:05 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,975
I think I have the full-sized rendering of the Sentinel somewhere... If I remember correctly the project was abandoned because the site would have required extensive remediation. Unfortunate.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #705  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 5:22 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
Would be nice to see that if you can find it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #706  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 6:26 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Would be nice to see that if you can find it
I thought that I remembered it as a spire, maybe not; I was wrong about the name.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #707  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:07 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
I wasn't aware that there had been a proposal on the Royal Bank parcel - it looks pretty interesting and certainly bigger and better than what's there now. Was there a specific reason why it didn't go ahead?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #708  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:17 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
Did you find a pic of it?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #709  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:05 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,975
Hmm.. not sure where I put it. A few weeks ago I found a bunch of old development stuff I had saved from around 2003-2006. I'll probably make a thread of old projects at some point.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #710  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:11 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hmm.. not sure where I put it. A few weeks ago I found a bunch of old development stuff I had saved from around 2003-2006. I'll probably make a thread of old projects at some point.
I made a thread for that stuff a while ago.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=180972

There were a few renderings of the sentinal floating around. This is the only one I could find at the moment.



There was also this proposal from before my time. I'm guessing it was from the late 90s

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #711  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:28 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
This block is owned by the WDC, was it the case back with this proposal? Or did this happen after the contamination was found?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #712  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 1:31 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
Interesting, from their website:

"WDC-1 Conceptual Design (Dartmouth)
WDCL is working on development alternatives for this vacant property, which is located between King Street, Alderney Drive and Prince Street in downtown Dartmouth."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #713  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 3:21 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
That would be nice if somethithing went up there along with kings warf, the dartmouth waterfront would look better than Halifax.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #714  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 5:53 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,975
The rendering I have is a bit larger and hand-drawn (renderings have gotten much more sophisticated!).

It really is a shame that it was never built. It would have worked well with King's Wharf and the ground-floor townhouses were a good design element.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #715  
Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 7:09 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The rendering I have is a bit larger and hand-drawn (renderings have gotten much more sophisticated!).

It really is a shame that it was never built. It would have worked well with King's Wharf and the ground-floor townhouses were a good design element.
The groundfloor townhouses give it a human scale. One of the best ways to make people think a building isn't as tall as it is: break up the massing. Its a trick I've used a lot and it seems to work well - trillium was a great example.

I agree though, shame this didn't get built - but there is always the future. With the possibility of the brightwood viewplane being removed; the site could go even higher (potentially).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #716  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2011, 12:39 AM
-Harlington-'s Avatar
-Harlington- -Harlington- is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Halifax-Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,097
From today :













Reply With Quote
     
     
  #717  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 12:50 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,978
From today;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #718  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 3:28 AM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
Yay! It's finally showing some height
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #719  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 4:33 AM
dmac26 dmac26 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 31
Height? I find this development is moving so slow! I understand the construction process, parking and base levels do take longer but I've been following this for some time and there has not been moving very fast at all. Are there any holds up that anyone knows about?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #720  
Old Posted Feb 5, 2011, 2:06 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
I think that it's because they are working on both buildings at once. And they are sharing a crane and probably crews between them. Where the parking structure is the first 2 floors of this building it does take some time. Plus working in the winter is always slower than in the summer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:56 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.