Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy
...
we are both born and raised here/nearby.
...
|
Have you ever lived anywhere else? Are you sure you're not just experiencing "the grass is always greener" syndrome during the worst national recession in your lifetime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy
... I bought a home in the city and the value is WAY down, ...
|
This is true in the majority of the country, and for the most part it's not any one region's fault - it was a national problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy
... we have the highest gas prices in the country, the worst traffic congestion (worse than LA!) ...
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy
... my state income tax just went up 67% along with everyone else who lives here poor or rich, and people in this state/city just keep re-electing the same people over and over again without wanting any change and instead of cutting spending in this state they "won't increase it more than 2% year over year." ...
|
I don't like that tax rate either, and they DEFINITELY should cut more. But even with the increase, Illinois and even Chicago do not have an unusually high tax burden relative to other states and large cities. Despite all the hype, we're still not in the top five for overall tax burden, and once the dust settles we'll probably still not be in the top 10. Before the recent issues, we weren't even in the top 20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy
... And people are leaving. My best friend from West Palm just moved to Peoria. And according to United Vans we have the most negative domestic migration in the country right now, worse than Detroit. ...
|
I don't know where you're getting your data. As far as I can tell,
United Vans only publishes state-level data, not city-level. And even then, for 2010 (the most recent study) Illinois does NOT have the worst net domestic migration in the country - not even close. What state does? New Jersey. Even in the Midwest, Michigan and Missouri both have higher losses than Illinois. According to the list, we're closer in numbers to New York and Indiana than we are to New Jersey and Michigan.
Besides, almost all big, international cities have high domestic out-migration just due to the nature of how cities work. Young single people move to big cities to get jobs or go to school. They work hard, do well, have kids (this is key - two people move in, two people plus kids move out) and some (not all, but some) choose to settle elsewhere, often in smaller, quieter places since with kids they can't afford the avail themselves of the city's advantages anyway. Not something to worry about to bash a city over, it's just the way the world works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhuhwhy
Please tell me something good I need to hear it. I may be able to put up with all of the above if we had world class transit or the weather were actually decent, but Chicago has neither. I hate to sound like a hater but most of my friends have become the same way and have really turned on Chicago lately. It's like we are a constant laughing stock around the country lately.
|
Weather here ain't great. But on balance I don't think it's any worse than Boston or New York City or Toronto or even Philly. It's certainly no worse than places like Berlin and Moscow and Beijing and Minneapolis.
Transit here is better than you give it credit for. It could be better, for sure, but car travel and transit do compete. I think Chicago has a good balance. It's a lot easier to drive here than it is in Paris or London, and we still have very useable transit (I'm car-free here for the past 12 years) even if it's not quite as rail-comprehensive as Paris or New York.
Honestly, the only thing that really worries me about Illinois (and thus Chicago) is the pensions issue. And I think that can be worked out. The rest of the issues, even the other budget issues, I know can and will be worked out. Chicago is still positioned very well to take advantage of a recovery. I've been here 15 years. I grew up near Portland, Oregon, which a lot of urban people admire, and I have family in Idaho, which a lot of anti-tax, anti-government people admire. But I have no interest in trading Chicago for either of those places. No place is perfect, but Chicago really is a great city and, despite some big problems (largely also problems in the rest of the nation), I think it's still on the upswing.