Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH
A alot of those "nice" neighborhoods are so largely because they're very old.
Perhaps in today's era of NIMBYism (but even then, i'm not seeing a lot of opposition in the news for density lately as I used to), but 10 years from now, I assure you, it will be MUCH different.
|
I'm not so sure. Broadly speaking, I think it will be very similar 10 years from now.
Some things never change. People are not going to spend 500k and up for a house and then let someone destroy the neighborhood without a fight. I look for Carthay, Hancock Park, Westwood, BH, most of SM and Weho, pretty much anything in the hills and many other neighborhoods to be essentially unchanged. Even 20 years from now.
Why mess with the areas of LA that have actual functioning neighborhoods when so many areas are decayed, mixed apartment and dilapidated housing, mixed industrial and slum housing, dying small commercial, and parking lots? More likely for changes: Hollywood, E. Hollywood, Westlake, Ktown, the Marina, Venice, areas around Beverly Center and others.
The reason that neighborhoods are nice is not because they are old; there are plenty of old neighborhoods that are not nice and plenty of new neighborhoods that are nice. The reasons they are desirable are varied, but they turn on nearness to amenities, consistency of the neighborhood, quality of construction, and others. They DO NOT turn on being high-rise. Although there are expensive high rise neighborhoods, they don’t tend to be the ones with the best street life.