HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8181  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 6:30 PM
jowens jowens is offline
on the south side
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Austin
Posts: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardensoul View Post
I sure wouldn't want a room on the mid to lower floors in the W facing west.

The gamma rays from the AMLI green neon could be deadly!
__________________
Southwest Austin
     
     
  #8182  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 3:24 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
Yep, I jokingly call it the isotope tower.
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
     
     
  #8183  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 8:32 AM
Dariusb Dariusb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belton, TX
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardensoul View Post








Happy Holidays everyone! Thanks for a year's worth of interesting pics and posts!
Those pics are gorgeous!
     
     
  #8184  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 8:26 PM
patriotizzy's Avatar
patriotizzy patriotizzy is offline
Metal Up Your !
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Maybe he is referring to the Pfluger Pedestrian Bridge extension, which is under construction right now (goes over Cesar Chavez)? Or the boardwalk (which is not under construction til next year)?
Maybe it's in Dallas. I always get Texan cities mixed up for some reason lol.
     
     
  #8185  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 11:27 PM
BevoLJ's Avatar
BevoLJ BevoLJ is offline
~Hook'em~
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Austin, TX/London, UK
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Maybe it's in Dallas. I always get Texan cities mixed up for some reason lol.
The new Margret Hunt bridge over the Trinity? I don't think it is done yet, but not sure on that. I know the huge 400 foot tall arch is done and can be seen from pretty far now. I'll see if I can find a picture...

From last summer


http://dallasdirt.dmagazine.com/2010/07/05/happy-fourth-and-fifth/
__________________
Austin, Texas
London, United Kingdom
     
     
  #8186  
Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 7:26 PM
Complex01's Avatar
Complex01 Complex01 is offline
Endless Moments...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Texas...
Posts: 2,917
Those are some beautiful pics. I like the colors. Very Very Nice...

__________________
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.
     
     
  #8187  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 2:51 AM
patriotizzy's Avatar
patriotizzy patriotizzy is offline
Metal Up Your !
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoLJ View Post
The new Margret Hunt bridge over the Trinity? I don't think it is done yet, but not sure on that. I know the huge 400 foot tall arch is done and can be seen from pretty far now. I'll see if I can find a picture...

From last summer


http://dallasdirt.dmagazine.com/2010/07/05/happy-fourth-and-fifth/
Yes that's it! That's what I was looking for. I tried searching for pictures or updates on it online but couldn't find any
     
     
  #8188  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 3:24 AM
actham actham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 70
County Courthouse

KVUE News said today that the new county courthouse at Republic Park would be a 17 storey building. I can't imagine a courthouse building that tall will occupy the entire block. Should be interesting to see how this progresses.
     
     
  #8189  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 7:12 PM
GoldenBoot's Avatar
GoldenBoot GoldenBoot is offline
Member since 2001
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Terra Firma
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by actham View Post
KVUE News said today that the new county courthouse at Republic Park would be a 17 storey building. I can't imagine a courthouse building that tall will occupy the entire block. Should be interesting to see how this progresses.
At 17 stories, the "tower" protion will not take up the entire block. The FAR limit will not allow for that to occur.
__________________
AUSTIN (City): 1,002,632 +4.64% - '20-'25 | AUSTIN MSA (5 counties): 2,620,945 +14.78% - '20-'25
SAN ANTONIO (City): 1,548,422 +8.03% - '20-'25 | SAN ANTONIO MSA (8 counties): 2,813,140 +9.97% - '20-'25
AUS-SAT REGION (MSAs/13 counties): 5,434,085 +12.24% - '20-'25 | *SRC: US Census*
     
     
  #8190  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 1:03 AM
gardensoul gardensoul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Downtown Courthouse

It saddens me to think that the Austin Museum of Art is giving up on this site and that the County is buying it. This site would make for a great public activity space with events spilling out into the park. Oh well - Republic Square becomes Courthouse(s) Plaza. We should start lobbying the Commissioners now to hire a first rate architectural team like Lake-Flato, Arthur Andersson (The W), or the like. While they are adding all of this new County office space - I hope they will restore the deco Courthouse building to its original streamlined form. Now, that would be worth it.

Last edited by gardensoul; Dec 31, 2010 at 1:45 AM.
     
     
  #8191  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 1:56 AM
ahealy's Avatar
ahealy ahealy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio / Austin
Posts: 2,845
I was really saddened to hear about this. That block has so much potential!

Yes, it would be better to get a well respected architect to design it, BUT it is just putting lipstick on a pig imo. Republic square will become soo dead/shady at night once thats all built...
     
     
  #8192  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 3:04 PM
StoOgE StoOgE is offline
Resident Moron
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,320
Not that we would do a ton of good, but maybe someone could contract some of the local businesses (AMLI, bars, stores, W hotel, etc) and try and form a little group to sign a petition. I'm sure the Downtown Austin Alliance would be on our side on this one.

Show the city/county that putting a new government building there isn't in the best interests of the neighborhood or city?

Hell our old Mayor might be helpful. Will Wynn was trying to get the federal courthouse to sell the building to Novarre there at the end to turn that into condos instead of a courthouse.

Without another potential buyer lined up it might be hard to do, but at the very least maybe we can get the county to allow street level retail/bars? If nothing else that could turn a few bucks of rent for the county which might be worth building 1 story higher.
     
     
  #8193  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 3:23 PM
WAustinResident's Avatar
WAustinResident WAustinResident is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Not that we would do a ton of good, but maybe someone could contract some of the local businesses (AMLI, bars, stores, W hotel, etc) and try and form a little group to sign a petition. I'm sure the Downtown Austin Alliance would be on our side on this one.

Show the city/county that putting a new government building there isn't in the best interests of the neighborhood or city?

Hell our old Mayor might be helpful. Will Wynn was trying to get the federal courthouse to sell the building to Novarre there at the end to turn that into condos instead of a courthouse.

Without another potential buyer lined up it might be hard to do, but at the very least maybe we can get the county to allow street level retail/bars? If nothing else that could turn a few bucks of rent for the county which might be worth building 1 story higher.
I think the biggest impedance to the first floor retail, is the level of security. It may be an issue to have an unsecured entrance to a secure courthouse.
     
     
  #8194  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 4:30 PM
gardensoul gardensoul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
Courthouse

I promise you that the City will not try to intervene in this. They have to cooperate with the County on too many levels for them to interfere with this plan. And I suspect the City has been aware of this for some time. Our best bet now is to lobby strongly for ground floor retail and restaurant space. That is something you can find some strong allies for - the DAA and probably some of the County Commissioners themselves. I have already sent a note to Sarah Eckhardt. Judge Biscoe is a savvy guy, I think he would get this too.
     
     
  #8195  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 4:59 PM
gardensoul gardensoul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
On a cheerier note...


Happy New Year!
     
     
  #8196  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:37 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAustinResident View Post
I think the biggest impedance to the first floor retail, is the level of security. It may be an issue to have an unsecured entrance to a secure courthouse.
While I get that could be an issue. I am sure some creative architecture could solve that problem.

We have to make sure that is not used as an excuse.
     
     
  #8197  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:41 PM
MichaelB MichaelB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: North edge of Downtown
Posts: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardensoul View Post
I promise you that the City will not try to intervene in this. They have to cooperate with the County on too many levels for them to interfere with this plan. And I suspect the City has been aware of this for some time. Our best bet now is to lobby strongly for ground floor retail and restaurant space. That is something you can find some strong allies for - the DAA and probably some of the County Commissioners themselves. I have already sent a note to Sarah Eckhardt. Judge Biscoe is a savvy guy, I think he would get this too.
I understand what you are saying, but I think we should still pressure the city to negotiate with them.

I have written as well, but I'm not so sure I see ol' Sam as so savvy, I see him more as a "hell or high water" guy. Anyone who says he hasn't heard much opposition, is obviously not listening! Or is listening in only selective circles.

In any case, thank you for writing.
     
     
  #8198  
Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 10:25 PM
Syndic's Avatar
Syndic Syndic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 1,980
I don't know if you guys saw this in yesterday's paper, but besides belittling those opposed to the project it's got some constructive suggestions. We shouldn't feel powerless over this. They need us to approve the bonds to build this courthouse. We can vote against it. We can tell others to vote against it. But I'm not all that opposed to it if they follow the recommendation of this editorial, though. I could care less what exists in the upper floors of the building, just as long as it's not ugly architecture and it has ground-floor retail. They need to pair up with the private sector to fund this thing.

Quote:
Consider all options for paying for courthouse

Asking taxpayers to finance a new government building is asking a lot during an economic downturn. Even in bond-friendly Austin, such elections no longer are considered a sure thing. Austin school district trustees understood that in forgoing a bond election this year. Austin city officials passed one this year by focusing mostly on roads and infrastructure. Now Travis County commissioners are planning one for next year to finance a new courthouse.

To win approval, commissioners must make a case that the courthouse is needed and come up with creative ways to finance the project. So far, they have taken the right steps in selecting a location downtown.

This week, commissioners finalized the purchase of a parking lot between West Third and West Fourth streets on Guadalupe Street for the proposed structure. That was the easy part. It is the site of the original Travis County courthouse and also the site of the old Austin American-Statesman building.

Commissioners agreed to pay $21.75 million for the block, which is owned by the Austin Museum of Art. It's a convenient location, near Austin City Hall and a new federal courthouse under construction. And it's walking distance from the county's downtown campus that houses the Heman Sweatt Travis County Courthouse and the Blackwell-Thurman Criminal Justice Center.
http://www.statesman.com/opinion/consider-all-options-for-paying-for-courthouse-1152778.html
[Edited by Admin since we do not post full articles.]
     
     
  #8199  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 2:09 AM
CALMSP CALMSP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Houston, TX (midtown)
Posts: 126
what kind of camera are you using to snap these amazing pics??!! (i hope its something I can afford!!)
     
     
  #8200  
Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 1:19 PM
gardensoul gardensoul is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 123
camera question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALMSP View Post
what kind of camera are you using to snap these amazing pics??!! (i hope its something I can afford!!)
Nikon D200 with varying lenses.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:41 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.