HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #941  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 12:38 AM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,574
I don't think it looks that bad (the concrete would look better in person probably), but I don't like that the design will be replicated tens of times over like a McDonalds or some other corporate 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #942  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 1:01 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Le Germain just finished a hotel out here in Calgary. They are in hot water because of safety issues. During a high wind storm, a piece of steel blew off the top of the building and struck and killed a little girl. It's a sad story and they are in court for it.

Here are a few photos:


This is the Google Streetview of it while it was still under construction. It's okay; but I am not a fan of the wood on the building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #943  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 3:39 PM
Canadian_Bacon's Avatar
Canadian_Bacon Canadian_Bacon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 239
^ I hope to god the new generation on architect's are not all that inept to design stuff like that. That is one terrible looking structure IMO.
__________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #944  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 8:05 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
Yeah, definitely not attractive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #945  
Old Posted Dec 9, 2010, 8:35 PM
Phalanx Phalanx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 590
The airport proposal is far too industrial looking, I think (yes, I know it's an airport, but there's at least been some effort put into aesthetics of late). Something more in keeping with the airport renovations and garage would look far better and blend in more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #946  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 2:00 AM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
This is shocking......I like it. Take a look around the north end of Halifax and you will see much worse. I think it has an industrial fast pace appeal which fits into the airport portfilio.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #947  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 2:09 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
This is shocking......I like it. Take a look around the north end of Halifax and you will see much worse. I think it has an industrial fast pace appeal which fits into the airport portfilio.
It is much better than the other airport/suburban hotels in Halifax, most of which are also cookie cutter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #948  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 2:37 AM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
agreed, not very attractive.
At least its better than the half built ugly Keddy's hotel we almost got stuck with in the 90's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #949  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 3:06 AM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is much better than the other airport/suburban hotels in Halifax, most of which are also cookie cutter.
Agreed, it's like the Prince George over and over again.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #950  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 7:09 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,050
I meant the weird hotel in Calgary in my prev post...

I think this proposal looks good, although the old Sheraton one was better.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #951  
Old Posted Dec 10, 2010, 8:37 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
I have never liked Germain's hotel here in Calgary - from design to construction. I posted it mainly to show you could have much worse than what the drawing that was posted showed.

Honestly, it's really ugly and doesn't fit into the downtown well at all. I scratch my brain everytime I see it (which is pretty much every morning when I go get coffee).

As to the airport - I think I agree with Worldly - I liked the Sheraton proposal better. Although I wouldn't mind seeing a couple other hotels pop up along the road into the Airport - like say a Delta or another hotel chain. If it looks like they are dropping Sheraton, perhaps another Starwood hotel like Westin could go in along the main road? Or even Raddison or Marriott would be good too?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #952  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 3:12 AM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
I think that the problem is with hotels near the ariport is that you can't put up something to expensive, people who get off planes and stay at an airport hotel normally are just there for a night to wait for their next plane in my experience. It seems as though the smaller cookie cutter hotels do better near airports...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #953  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 8:34 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I think that the problem is with hotels near the ariport is that you can't put up something to expensive, people who get off planes and stay at an airport hotel normally are just there for a night to wait for their next plane in my experience. It seems as though the smaller cookie cutter hotels do better near airports...
It would depend on the context I think. If I look at Calgary - the Airport has a number of cookie cutter hotels just off site (near McKnight and Barlow). But when I look at the hotel - the hotel on site is the Delta. Same with Toronto - Sheraton is on site and Fairmont is on site at the Vancouver airport, with a number of major players not far away (Westin, etc.).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #954  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 4:42 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
Ahh. Makes since, when my plane was canceled in Shanghai the airline put me up in the airport hotel that was joined for 5 nights. It wasn't a cheap hotel, they must get a lot of business from the airlines as well as passengers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #955  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 7:16 PM
beyeas beyeas is offline
Fizzix geek
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South End, Hali
Posts: 1,318
yeah I often use the Sheraton at Pearson when I can't make it back home at a reasonable time... that way I just fly to TO, stay at the Sheraton, and can catch the 1st flight to Hali and still be home in time for work that day.

Heck, there are even times where there are meeting at those airport hotels, and everyone just flies in, has the meeting there together, and then flies back home again. Works great sometimes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #956  
Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 9:03 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,996
The Vancouver Fairmont is hilariously tacky. The Vancouver terminal was redone around maybe 2002 (maybe a bit earlier?) and I think the hotel was built around the same time. It is a glass box but they decided to put up a little chateau-style entrance to emulate the older hotels:


Source
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #957  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 6:10 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Vancouver Fairmont is hilariously tacky. The Vancouver terminal was redone around maybe 2002 (maybe a bit earlier?) and I think the hotel was built around the same time. It is a glass box but they decided to put up a little chateau-style entrance to emulate the older hotels:


Source
I've actually stayed here three times - it was quite nice and it matched pretty well the style of the interior of the terminal. It also attempts to match the architectural style that is used on major projects to reflect BC's Charm - which is earth, sea and sky (the same idea was used for the Canada Line station at YVR).

I actually like this Fairmont versus the one in Banff. The one in Banff is about history and has all the historic charm; but I like more modern. Whenever I've gone to Vancouver I've stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre or the Westin Grand - plus a couple others (I go where the rates are cheap and you'd be surprised how some nice hotels have great rates if you look). I've also stayed at the new Fairmont Pacific Rim once - now that was nice and modern. The Delta here at YYC is not too bad - I stayed there when I came out here scouting a place to live (the night before flying back to Halifax - I was leaving at 7am and didn't want to get up at 4 to get to the terminal in a cab).

So if Fairmont came for an airport hotel; I wouldn't be upset. But personally, I'd love for them to do some modern hotel in Downtown. I could see it on the downtown Dartmouth side (around 20 stories) or downtown Halifax (I had always thought next to Trillium or in that block).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #958  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 9:03 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,996
Quote:
But personally, I'd love for them to do some modern hotel in Downtown. I could see it on the downtown Dartmouth side (around 20 stories) or downtown Halifax (I had always thought next to Trillium or in that block).
There is the Nova Centre 500 room hotel. I guess that is roughly the size of the Lord Nelson, and it will be the tallest hotel in the city if constructed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #959  
Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 8:20 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There is the Nova Centre 500 room hotel. I guess that is roughly the size of the Lord Nelson, and it will be the tallest hotel in the city if constructed.
Tallest for now.
Always dare to dream! But I'd be tickled pink if it became another Westin (or Starwood Chain) or even a Fairmont or Hyatt chain. The Hyatt here in dt Calgary is a great combination of modern with old charm of Stephen Avenue Heritage.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #960  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 2:27 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
I'm on Councillor Sloane's facebook and noticed that there is a public meeting for a new building at the corner of Cunard and Gottingen at the YMCA at 5pm today? Anyone know what it's about?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.