Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred
there will be a meeting on the 16th to talk about the demolition of the hotel.
|
I'm gonna say it again: ppl who actually live or spend time in dt help keep this thread alive!

your bit of first hand info applies specifically to "DTLA", not just to cities in general.
btw, I was in the hood yesterday around little tokyo. the reason I think it's better for ppl to actually be in DT when trying to understand it is cuz one's impressions of it are different when dealing with it directly instead of from a distance.
So when I was there all the general talk about parking structures, or planning guidelines, or urban transit seems to fall by the wayside. the reason? whenever I'm in the hood, the thing that often stands out to me is a feeling there still aren't enough ppl & $$ in DT.
When I was in NYC a few yrs ago I was overwhelmed by the crowds of ppl---workers, residents, tourists, execs---& all the $$ invested in the endless number of bldgs for those ppl. By comparison, on so many occasions when I've been in dtla, I want to turn on the machine that creates the sound of crickets.
TG it's not as bad as it was a few yrs ago, or certainly over 10 yrs ago. and TG it's getting better. but, again, I'm still bothered by a lack of enough ppl & investment for them. and I don't think the specifics of parking structures, transit or whatever is what really ails the hood. It's just that too many ppl (& their $$) throughout LA have long favored being anywhere but DT.
It was so easy for ppl to walk away from the hood in the first place cuz it never was a really nice enough place, 10 yrs ago or 60 yrs ago. but in some ways it's better today than it was even back before the burbs became king. That's cuz I don't believe dt ever had much of a 24/7 population, except some ppl (mainly pensioners) living around bunker hill.
the fact that ppl with money started to abandon bunker hill as long ago as the 1920s is the key to understanding why DTLA never moved into the big leagues. it's the main reason its reputation fell apart so quickly while the center of other cities like chicago or nyc managed to hold onto theirs.