Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb
I sat in as proxy for my folks at their recent condo board meeting. I asked for there to be a review of if they can add furniture in the lobbies. The lobbies have been bare since creation over a decade ago - so people waiting for a ride or what have you lean against walls and such - and it looks badly on the entire unit. The Chair and friends (IE rest of the board) immediately said no, stating that people may steal the furniture. I said that the proposal was to investigate how it could be done. Another board member interjected immediately saying, lets have a vote to see how many people would like to see the fees increased to meet this request. I replied saying that this would not be required as just the dollars from the last year were in the positive $50K, far more than a one time $5K cost with virtually zero on-going costs. They they said I need to make the request formally with a letter, to which I responded that it was the AGM and the minutes should be sufficient. Anyway - the board has been virtually the same for the last decade. I voted for a couple new folks but they did not get in. Still no furniture and I suspect nothing will happen. Oh, and it turns out that the Chair's larger condo unit is the one immediately above the entry lobby.
|
Great example. If they would like furniture, you could petition for a Special Meeting of the Members (requirements should be in the bylaws) which would need to state the proposed business for the meeting (you cannot add or change the business afterward). In this case the business would be a motion to the effect of "direct the Corporation to purchase to the maximum sum of $5,000: one couch, 2 lounge chairs, and 2 small tables... yada yada". It would be best if you also set a date for the purchases and placement to be complete by. If you fail to do that, the board retains the power to decide the date and... well... that might be a loooong way off.
Key is to be as specific as possible. If you say "put furniture in the lobby" you leave it up to the board to use it's judgment which may not agree with your definition of furniture.
Bottom line is members delegate authority to the Board and the Board to the Management Company. But the members always have ultimate authority. They just need to know how to execute it.