I was really excited to see their proposed 1.4 billion dollar project alignments, considering the entire GEB and GEW only cost 900 million. My mind was going wild imagining a large GEB style viaduct from the south end of the new Patullo Bridge to the escarpment past Scott Road station with a full interchange with the new SFPR, involving major ramps, and / or a decent addition to the NFPR near the north end of the new bridge, possibly involving some tunnelled highway portions. You know, a proper bridge link!
And I was actually excited that Translink was in charge of this, seeing how their projects seem to involve far more elevated structures than any MoT project.
I really hope this is a bad joke, considering keeping this turd of a bridge? Refurbish, honestly???? This is like the last bridge that should ever be considered for refurbishing, especially since my sources involved in our region's road projects tell me that Translink engineers wont even drive over the Patullo themselves because it is such bad shape.
If this is true, I highly bet this is another side effect of our local mayors inability to work together on any transit / road issue, and I suspect New West is highly against the replacement of the Patullo.
I should also add this should not come as a surprise seeing how we have now recently seen the highway 1 and SFPR projects downgraded, a never ending funding dispute delaying the Evergreen Line, and just minutes ago New West refusing all options of the proposed United Boulevard completion.
Last edited by Metro-One; Nov 25, 2010 at 9:04 AM.
|