HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #641  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:10 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
I recall reading that there was going to eventually be a bridge once the project reached a certain point.

So the crossing would be at grade for now and eventually be something more substantial later on...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #642  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 11:31 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I recall reading that there was going to eventually be a bridge once the project reached a certain point.

So the crossing would be at grade for now and eventually be something more substantial later on...
The corkscrew access ramp will be at the western approach (closer to Alderney Landing). The one used right now will remain as at-grade somehow.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #643  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 7:10 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Work has blocked off the parking lot along Alderney to pedestrians now. They have appeared to have torn up a strip through the lot. Not sure if this is for services or perhaps some soil testing for the ramp that will eventually be built there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #644  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:28 PM
spaustin's Avatar
spaustin spaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The corkscrew access ramp will be at the western approach (closer to Alderney Landing). The one used right now will remain as at-grade somehow.
Yeah and that's the one little bit of this project I don't like. I'll be really pleasantly surprised if the corkscrew entrance doesn't end up looking like a concrete mess. I know they had the technical limitation of having to provide an access point that can't be blocked by trains and they couldn't very well go under given how close the harbour is. Still it would have been better to put the corckscrew on the other end of the site. The view out the harbour from the space between Alderney and King's Landing is one of the best in the city and it's now going to be bookended with concrete spaghetti.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #645  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:55 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Yeah and that's the one little bit of this project I don't like. I'll be really pleasantly surprised if the corkscrew entrance doesn't end up looking like a concrete mess. I know they had the technical limitation of having to provide an access point that can't be blocked by trains and they couldn't very well go under given how close the harbour is. Still it would have been better to put the corckscrew on the other end of the site. The view out the harbour from the space between Alderney and King's Landing is one of the best in the city and it's now going to be bookended with concrete spaghetti.
the view up the harbour from Alderney should be about the same, but the view from the foot of prince st, would only be directly across the harbour. There never has been a great spot at the foot of prince for much of anything, including having a view; the spiral should be fine, particularly given that 5-8 story buildings are right beside it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #646  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 3:16 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I got a closer look today and it appears as if they are creating a second temporary crossing at grade over the tracks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #647  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 12:48 AM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
perhaps they will start doing more work on the new public street making it necessary to enter at another spot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #648  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 3:45 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
From this afternoon.









Reply With Quote
     
     
  #649  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 5:14 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
I'm doing a feature article on this development in my national Magazine!!

hahaha!! - I have connections.

Plus I'll feature it along side Trump Toronto and Shangrila Vancouver too!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #650  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2010, 11:07 PM
Empire's Avatar
Empire Empire is offline
Salty Town
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I'm doing a feature article on this development in my national Magazine!!

hahaha!! - I have connections.

Plus I'll feature it along side Trump Toronto and Shangrila Vancouver too!!
Please post the link when it airs.
__________________
Salty Town
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #651  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:49 AM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
I'm doing a feature article on this development in my national Magazine!!

hahaha!! - I have connections.

Plus I'll feature it along side Trump Toronto and Shangrila Vancouver too!!
You are the man caltrane, thanks for all the updates in the Toronto threads.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #652  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 6:28 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
You are the man caltrane, thanks for all the updates in the Toronto threads.
Thanks as well for checking out whats going happening on the east coast!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #653  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:20 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
From yesterday.









It looks to me like these are the columns for the ground floor. I thought there was to be 2 levels of parking??





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #654  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:26 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
In the last picture does it show both the condo and apartment building? I haven't seen it in person, so I am not sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #655  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 3:31 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
In the last picture does it show both the condo and apartment building? I haven't seen it in person, so I am not sure.
Yes. The form you see in the foreground up until the rocks in the water end is the apartment building. The form then indents for the space in between and over where the CAT is working will become the first condo building. The crane is positioned in between the two buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #656  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:23 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
From a couple of evenings ago;





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #657  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 1:13 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
An interview with Mr. Fares in yesterdays Metro. Some delays with the week of rain. They expect to be out of the parking levels before xmas, and then building upwards. Occupancy for the first buildings: Sept 20102
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #658  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 2:29 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
An interview with Mr. Fares in yesterdays Metro. Some delays with the week of rain. They expect to be out of the parking levels before xmas, and then building upwards. Occupancy for the first buildings: Sept 20102
Must be being built by the five Moe's. 18'092 years is a long time to build something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #659  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:05 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Must be being built by the five Moe's. 18'092 years is a long time to build something.
Yup, it is definitely a Moe issue. Don't know if spell check could have helped on that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #660  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 2:08 AM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I was down at the sales centre with some friends yesterday. Learned that the columns being poured now are only for the first parking level. I thought the level below this counted, but I guess not. I also learned that the large pile of rock running through the middle of the site is a few feet shy of the height of the new grade that will be the King Street Extension. And then maybe best of all, sales are going really well. Around 50% of the iconic tower has been sold (expression of interest down payment) and that before the two buildings under construction now are completed the second condo building and the iconic tower will have started construction.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.