HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #901  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:23 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
The DQ site and surrounding sites are still listed as having two seperate owners.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #902  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 8:42 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Interesting rumors...we can only hope
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #903  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:21 AM
musicman musicman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 270
I've heard today that the DQ owners just up and left, it supposedly had nothing to do with the landlords. (the truth is probably somewhere in-between) The sock-it-to-ya place is going to be torn down along with the two buildings behind it and the first floor is going to be a new TD bank... And supposedly the appartments above City Centre atlantic are going to be starting in may.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #904  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:25 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
I've heard today that the DQ owners just up and left, it supposedly had nothing to do with the landlords. (the truth is probably somewhere in-between)
I wonder why they would want to give up that corner unless they were promised something as good or better. Was the DQ normally busy?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #905  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 1:34 AM
musicman musicman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 270
It seemed busy enough but who really knows... Rent may have been nuts, who knows what the costs associated with that site where. It does seem kinda crazy to give up that corner but who knows..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #906  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:09 AM
mcmcclassic's Avatar
mcmcclassic mcmcclassic is offline
BUILD!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 432
If the DQ is closed for good, they should take the ice cream cakes that are still in the freezer home
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #907  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:19 AM
cormiermax's Avatar
cormiermax cormiermax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Beijing
Posts: 884
I'm a bit sad to see the old DQ close, have a lot of childhood memory's from that place. Hopefully a major development will be announced soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #908  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 4:09 AM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
If the DQ is closed for good, they should take the ice cream cakes that are still in the freezer home
Haha, I'm quite concerned, I think the next closest DQ that sells ice cream cakes is on Dutch Village Rd. I don't know if I can make that drive quick enough before it melts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #909  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 4:40 AM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
When I was growing up in Halifax; I always remember that DQ being very busy during the summer - even installing (briefly) a window out onto the street. i'm not sure if they still use that anymore or not.

I know during many pride parades, we (my friends and I) would get an ice cream while waiting for the parade to start. I think during this time of year; they didn't do very well.

Sad to see it go but bring on something better!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #910  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:27 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
I'm not sad to see it go DQ has been going downhill lately. Last time I got ice cream there, it was all ice, no cream. (No flavor, just water it tasted like).

How many buildings are here between SGR and the Trillium? Wonder how many high rises you could fit between...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #911  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I'm not sad to see it go DQ has been going downhill lately. Last time I got ice cream there, it was all ice, no cream. (No flavor, just water it tasted like).

How many buildings are here between SGR and the Trillium? Wonder how many high rises you could fit between...
There are a couple of very nice houses between the DQ and Trillium; I think that at least one, maybe two, are registered heritage properties.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-housing-comme...t-Retail-Office-Space-W0QQAdIdZ242645644
1485 is for lease. The house right next to Trillium is so-so. The house in between is quite nice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #912  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:29 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
There are a couple of very nice houses between the DQ and Trillium; I think that at least one, maybe two, are registered heritage properties.

http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-housing-comme...t-Retail-Office-Space-W0QQAdIdZ242645644
1485 is for lease. The house right next to Trillium is so-so. The house in between is quite nice.
I believe the Asante building was recently sold and is now rented as well. So if there is a development it will be interesting how it is placed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #913  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:34 PM
coolmillion's Avatar
coolmillion coolmillion is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 296
I can't say I'll be sad to see DQ go... other locations in the burbs and much better ice cream available elsewhere downtown. But I still sympathize with sentimental attachment
Does anyone remember the REAL ice cream parlour that used to occupy that space in the late 80s? I remember it having colourful hanging light fixtures and brass rails. Or did I dream that such a place existed??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #914  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 3:13 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I can't say I'll be sad to see DQ go... other locations in the burbs and much better ice cream available elsewhere downtown. But I still sympathize with sentimental attachment
Does anyone remember the REAL ice cream parlour that used to occupy that space in the late 80s? I remember it having colourful hanging light fixtures and brass rails. Or did I dream that such a place existed??
There was a candy shop on the corner. (I think that it was the Candy Bowl that later moved to Quinpool and then closed in 2006)
Around the corner on Sp Garden, mid 80's, between the Farmer's Dairy shop and the Greek Donair there was a 'hole in the wall' that sold home-made ice cream, twas very good
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #915  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 6:45 PM
halifaxboyns halifaxboyns is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,883
Sorry but really good ice cream to me; will always be cows ice cream on the waterfront!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #916  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 6:53 PM
cormiermax's Avatar
cormiermax cormiermax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Beijing
Posts: 884


Amen to that!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #917  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:04 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Sorry but really good ice cream to me; will always be cows ice cream on the waterfront!
If you crave it there is a location open on the main drag of Banff. Only a day trip drive from Calgary.

You'd think a city nickname Cow-town should have a Cow's Ice Cream location.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #918  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:43 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I can't say I'll be sad to see DQ go... other locations in the burbs and much better ice cream available elsewhere downtown. But I still sympathize with sentimental attachment
Does anyone remember the REAL ice cream parlour that used to occupy that space in the late 80s? I remember it having colourful hanging light fixtures and brass rails. Or did I dream that such a place existed??

That was Swensen's. A franchise operation. It was very good -- they had a Pina Colada ice cream I loved.

http://www.swensens.com/


Someone else referred to a candy store being there. There was one once, but I don't think it was the Candy Bowl in that location. They did used to be on SGR, but I think it was down the block on the other side of the street. I do recall going to the one where DQ is now and buying the odd item, but I cannot recall the name. I think it might have been run by the people who ran the Lakonia olive oil operation upstairs -- I bought their olive oil in that store along with an occasional good cigar back when I enjoyed those.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #919  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 10:06 PM
kph06's Avatar
kph06 kph06 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,105
The Rose Bowl use to be on Spring Garden at one point I believe
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #920  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:10 PM
Northend Guy Northend Guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 254
Another Church biting the dust? Recently heard that the Fort Massey United Church on the Corner of Queen & Tobin is closing...presumably this will become apartments? The only tidbit I heard is that is closing. Maybe someone else has heard somthing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.