HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1461  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 4:24 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
[QUOTE=KHOOLE;5019053]It's as ugly as ugly can be. [QUOTE]
Ha! if only it was Ottawa's ugliest, we'd have a much more attractive downtown skyline.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1462  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:01 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
I don't hate the NDHQ itself -- and it's certainly not a monolith, since it has 3 distinct components to make its distinctive 'H'-shape. To me the only really egregious part is the parking lot on the east side; from the canal side and from a distance, I think it's actually a pretty good example of Ottawa's post-war Capital Style. Of course it can't hold a candle to the Railway-era Capital style, but I don't judge it against Ottawa's best, I judge it against the other buildings from the era, and I think it's one of the least-worst at the very least (compare it to the Jeane Edmonds towers, or the big blocks in Vanier at MacArthur, for example).
At least Jean Edmonds has a face to the street, instead of all 🞵🞵🞵, like many other fedgov properties.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1463  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:03 PM
Uhuniau Uhuniau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 9,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
I also support lower-security activities happening at the current DND headquarters. The removal of the parking lot and fence could lead to a new bus terminal being built on the ground level, at the foot of the existing building. Imagine buses entering and exiting the core via Nicholas straight to the Queensway. Imagine university students being walking distance from the bus terminal. Imagine the expanded new terminal capable of holding intercity and regional buses (it would be like combining Toronto Coach Terminal and GO's Union Bus Terminal in one building). NDHQ sits on a 4 acre lot, compared to the current terminal's 2 acre lot. All these things would be possible if DND moved all its activities out of that building.
For that matter, imagine trains.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1464  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 3:27 PM
rakerman rakerman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 748
Ottawa Miele Gallery is going in the old Vistek location at Bank & Gladstone, across from Central Phase 1. Nice to see a high-end store on the street.


DSC03062 by rakerman, on Flickr

The site just has placeholder images for now

http://mieleonbank.ca/

I had thought it was only the 2nd floor that was leased but now I'm thinking the "lower level" that the leasing sign says is still left must be the basement level, not the ground floor.

(Crossposted to Retail Thread.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1465  
Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 6:24 PM
rodionx rodionx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Centretown
Posts: 283


Good stuff. That area is getting weirder and weirder. High end condo, gas station, pawn shop, high end gallery. Oh, and gaybourhood signs. Very Bank street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1466  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 10:48 AM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,435
I don't know if these proposals were ever posted on here before (I also posted in the Gatineau section)

185 Laurier (facing Jacques Cartier Park)



173 Wellington (mixed-use -about a block from the new Cartier-Wellington development)



source: http://www.groupeheafey.com/en/projdev.php
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1467  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 11:03 AM
Aylmer's Avatar
Aylmer Aylmer is offline
Still optimistic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal (C-D-N) / Ottawa (Aylmer)
Posts: 5,407
That last one is something I hope to see more of around the city.

__________________
I've always struggled with reality. And I'm pleased to say that I won.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1468  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:45 PM
Ottawan Ottawan is offline
Citizen-at-large
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Expat (in Toronto)
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
That last one is something I hope to see more of around the city.

I definitely agree! What a beautiful building, and an appropriate form and extent of intensification in an area that desperately needs & deserves it.

BTW, Where have you been this past while Aylmer? We could certainly use more optimists on the forum these days!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1469  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:24 PM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
definitely sharp; would love to see more buildings like this on any of Ottawa's Traditional Mainstreets too (e.g. would look great at a number of points on Wellington West, at the corner of Irving and above/beside Daniel O'Connell's)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1470  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 9:06 PM
Aylmer's Avatar
Aylmer Aylmer is offline
Still optimistic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal (C-D-N) / Ottawa (Aylmer)
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
BTW, Where have you been this past while Aylmer? We could certainly use more optimists on the forum these days!
Ha! It's nice to know I've been missed! I've actually been forced into the real world since the beginning of school - I've got to get my marks up for an exchange in Germany next year.

__________________
I've always struggled with reality. And I'm pleased to say that I won.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1471  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2010, 2:18 PM
Davis137's Avatar
Davis137 Davis137 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,365
Those proposals/renders look awesome! Locations are pretty awesome too...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1472  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 5:49 PM
rakerman rakerman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 748
Central 3

first sign I've seen mentioning Central Phase 3 (on the side of the building that will be replaced by Central 3) - also ad for Urban Capital series of talks about urban planning & design


DSC03242 by rakerman, on Flickr

(I have to warn you that the signup for the UrbCap events has the worst user interface I've ever seen.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1473  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 1:03 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,435
Sales for Chateau Cartier Condos started this weekend (new development next to Chateau Cartier in Aylmer)


source :http://www.condoschateaucartier.com/

Building in the centre already exists, for those that are not familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1474  
Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 11:00 PM
Aylmer's Avatar
Aylmer Aylmer is offline
Still optimistic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal (C-D-N) / Ottawa (Aylmer)
Posts: 5,407
Mmmm.... not crazy about it.

__________________
I've always struggled with reality. And I'm pleased to say that I won.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1475  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:19 AM
McC's Avatar
McC McC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Mmmm.... not crazy about it.

but look at all of the parking!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1476  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
Aylmer's Avatar
Aylmer Aylmer is offline
Still optimistic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal (C-D-N) / Ottawa (Aylmer)
Posts: 5,407
Well, when you put it that way...

__________________
I've always struggled with reality. And I'm pleased to say that I won.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1477  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:39 PM
Ottawan Ottawan is offline
Citizen-at-large
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Expat (in Toronto)
Posts: 738
Ignoring the 'towers in the park' style, alot hinges on whether they use actual copper (doubtful) or that extremely ugly green plastic/vinyl stuff (likely) for the roofs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1478  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:17 PM
Davis137's Avatar
Davis137 Davis137 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,365
Won't this lower any degree of Prestige the Chateau has/had?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1479  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:26 PM
Cre47's Avatar
Cre47 Cre47 is offline
Awesome!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orleans, ON
Posts: 1,971
They've just set up a crane at St-Joseph/Caron right behind Place Vincent Massey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1480  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 7:47 PM
harls's Avatar
harls harls is offline
Mooderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Aylmer, Québec
Posts: 21,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
They've just set up a crane at St-Joseph/Caron right behind Place Vincent Massey.
Do you know what this new building is supposed to look like? Is it an addition for Environment Canada?

Man, there is this crane and the one across the highway for 455 de la Carriere, and soon there will be 3 more in downtown Hull (30 victoria, 22 eddy, and Cartier-Wellington if it gets out of the gate). Gatineau's landscape will be dotted with cranes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & Urban Ottawa
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.