Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed
Still not ad hominem. Read that article just a bit more carefully. If I had said "mooky supports unions, but he beats his wife, so therefore unions are bad" - THAT would be ad hominem. If anything your example is an over-generalization at best, but it's certainly not an ad hominem.
|
I edited, not quite ad-hominem on my part, sorry....
Quote:
See, that could be argued as bordering on ad hominem ("you're dreaming, therefore your argument is full of 🞵🞵🞵🞵"). But I won't split hairs as I'd rather address a point directly.
It's not a dream. Everyone does have this right. Just because not everyone is WILLING to exercise this right, or does not have the ability to get a better deal based on merit, or have made life decisions that have resulted in them being completely stuck, does not mean people do not have the right.
I'm not talking about the 19th century. I'm not talking about China. I'm solely talking about the here and now, modern 21st century North America. Calgary, being a city primarily composed of non-unionized workers, is living proof that it's a reality now. Nearly everyone who works here has the ability (hell, the obligation, being non-unionized) to negotiate their own terms, and it's working out splendidly for Calgarians. We have the highest wages in the country, the highest cost of living by some standards (yet we still pay the bills), the highest employment rate.
So how you can call this a "dream" - Much of this city lives it every day.
|
We don't live bottled up in this city, your ipod isn't made here in Calgary is it? nor 95% of the products you or I use, unless your an extremist "localist" consumer living in a green earth home, minimalistic, with all your food being local, etc etc.... no one I know or I can probably assume you know is that "extreme"
As for it being your experience, it is, you are not everyone, that's not ad hominem, that's a fact. You have been able to negotiate a fair deal, the person making your cell phone in china, probably not, but we as a society allowed that manufacturing to take place in china as a subtle attack on unions because we wanted cheap goods (going back to my argument of the corporate lobby on free trade), driving the downward spiral of north American manufacturing, decimating the middle class in the process. With that goes the purchasing power they enjoy to buy good quality items so they have no choice but to shop at Walmart, buying cheap Chinese goods, continuing the viscous circle. At least I acknowledge that fact, even though in some cases there are no alternatives then to buy said cheap 🞵🞵🞵🞵 quality items. Deeper understanding of the issue at more then a local level, we live in a global world I keep getting told, so I see it as all linked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed
Has every union protected every job? Has every union always looked out for its workers first?
|
No, but I prefer unions existing to the alternative still. Corporations always look out for profits in the end, not employees.
In the end, your anti-union stance boils down to "there is corruption in unions" .. well, yes and any time corruption is found it has to be rooted out, but there is also far more corruption in corporations, and they have done far more damage to workers rights then unions ever will, and unless you can come up with an alternative to unions, don't be so quick to marginalize what they have done in the past, what they continue to do in the present, and what they strive to do in the future for workers rights at home, and around the world.
If we fail to understand the past, we are bound to repeat the mistakes. And our past is the present in much of the world from which we get our goods off the backs of hundreds of millions of people with limited or no right to a fair deal, and we perpetuate it day in and day out. I don't want to go down that road, personally. And yes, I will stipulate I am a hypocrite consumer like most of cheap goods, but I try to make small differences, I don't shop at Walmart (go watch "WalMart: The High Cost of Low Prices" if you haven't) ... but I'm not perfect, far from it.