Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy
Fill us in, I know you were really going for Barb.
|
A combination of factors really; reevaluation of all the candidates with Kepner-Tregoe in light of new Better Ideas, Nenshi's stance in support of maintaining police officers per capita was a must have, and recognition that inner city crime management has been tremendously successful over the past couple years were important, Wayne Stewart's and Paul Hughes swing vote endorsement, that Nenshi had been to my community hall twice, Barb's admission last week that she was asked to run instead of getting there via a hard work ethic (am sure this was an issue discussed around the table this weekend).
I still support a large number of issues that I think she got right with her platform (for example, support of Plan It), and there are still questions I have for Naheed with regards to ensuring that a feasibility study is done first for Nose Creek LRT versus Centre Street or Edmonton Trail alignment, as well as still not sure about the implementation of airport tunnel, as well as addressing traffic congestion in the SW via ring ring road. From very early on, I thought Nenshi had some good plans, but was concerned with his implementation as well as the electability of an academic that might not resonate well with average Calgarians.
That Barb maintained a lot of her base throughout the election, I think is a sign she ran a fairly good campaign considering being a novice. I know some had argued that her support was wide but not deep, but at the same time, she and her team did bring a platform that was more developed than McIver and was able to maintain that base for much of the election and attract engaged undecided voters.
In further discussions with friends today, I also recognized I generally supported Naheed's principles of trying to innovate and that would be a much better approach than Ric's stance of waiting for an issue to 'materialize' or Barb's stance of doing whatever city administration's recommendation was.
Naheed had been a candidate I was returning to as a result of reconsideration, as he had been on my radar screen since 2007. Little things like the sidewalk chalks this AM that spoke to some of the concerns of my community I think really helped me reconsider my vote.
And finally, a bit of strategic voting comes into play at this point with this sort of last minute decision...
Carra was an easy decision; was hoping for Mar to pull through as well on City Council to be a proportional representation of police issues.