HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2461  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:05 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
So nenshi supporters are above the law. Great.
So should we start charging children every time they draw on the sidewalk? If it were paint I would probably agree with you. Since it's chalk and will be gone the next time it rains or snows, it's not a big deal.

I think it's a clever idea, it's getting attention and that's kind of the idea.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #2462  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:09 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Lol you guys, I'm sure TDoW is getting a chuckle out of this.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2463  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:22 PM
TallDrinkofWater TallDrinkofWater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
So should we start charging children every time they draw on the sidewalk? If it were paint I would probably agree with you. Since it's chalk and will be gone the next time it rains or snows, it's not a big deal.

I think it's a clever idea, it's getting attention and that's kind of the idea.
His campaign isn't above the law. The city is going to clean it up for a reason - its graffiti
     
     
  #2464  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:27 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
Clean up teams will be dispatched - that speaks to the legality of this tactic. So think a little before you start believing you can do whatever you please just because you back nenshi.

You can't say the same for those election signs - those are permitted.
Firstly, it's amusing how transparently partisan you are. I've never actually said that I back Nenshi. In fact there isn't a person alive who knows who I voted for, because unlike some people, I respect the democratic foundation of the secret ballot. You're letting your choice of candidate dictate your opinion on sidewalk chalk. Think about this for a second.

And secondly... "those are permitted"? So you can't actually discuss the benefits and drawbacks over signs vs. chalk, you just blindly follow the law and never question it? Someone does something abhorrent, but it happens to be legal, so you're totally OK with it - but some innocuous thing that happens to be against the law deserves JUSTICE! Wow, let me know who you're voting for, because I never ever want to see someone like that in power.

PS: sidewalk chalk isn't illegal. Unless I should arrest my neighbour's daughter. Oh, and you may want to call the SWAT team on Wal-Mart, they were selling it there the other day.

You know, I've always wondered who attack ads are aimed at. I've always been a bit befuddled that people can't think for themselves and have to let others do it for them, but I guess when the evidence smacks you in the face you have to accept.

Although I might be violating some Internet law about harmless posting, so maybe I should stop now before the Gestapo get paged.
     
     
  #2465  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:27 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
His campaign isn't above the law. The city is going to clean it up for a reason - its graffiti
I actually doubt they will be sending cleaning crews to take care of it.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #2466  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:28 PM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
Edit: Calgarian beat me to it...
__________________
I am Calgarian!
My photos on Flickr

Last edited by Witty Nickname; Oct 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM.
     
     
  #2467  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:31 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
You can't say the same for those election signs - those are permitted.
Oh, screw it. I ask you this, and I want an answer - steel post election signs are most definitely NOT permitted. Yet I see them everywhere. Have you called 311 on every single one of those that you saw? Including the candidate that you support (because I've seen them for every mayoral candidate and just about every aldermanic candidate as well)?

Did you call 311 back when they weren't removed? Because they're all over my neighbourhood (Royal Oak), if you have enough free time to be calling about chalk maybe you could call for me. I've seen thousands of them, surely that's more of an offense than some chalk. I believe the steel posts are actually a safety issue (vehicle tires, children) so I'd hope you'd put more concern towards your fellow citizen's well-being than some harmless graffiti that will wash off next time it rains.

Seeing as they are 100%, unarguably against city by-laws, and that's what matters, right? So why are they still standing? I have a clear safety issue and city by-law violation, so are you going to help me out here (and subsequently prove that this isn't just some petty anti-Nenshi thing)?
     
     
  #2468  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:43 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Oh, screw it. I ask you this, and I want an answer - steel post election signs are most definitely NOT permitted. Yet I see them everywhere. Have you called 311 on every single one of those that you saw? Including the candidate that you support (because I've seen them for every mayoral candidate and just about every aldermanic candidate as well)?

Did you call 311 back when they weren't removed? Because they're all over my neighbourhood (Royal Oak), if you have enough free time to be calling about chalk maybe you could call for me. I've seen thousands of them, surely that's more of an offense than some chalk. I believe the steel posts are actually a safety issue (vehicle tires, children) so I'd hope you'd put more concern towards your fellow citizen's well-being than some harmless graffiti that will wash off next time it rains.

Seeing as they are 100%, unarguably against city by-laws, and that's what matters, right? So why are they still standing? I have a clear safety issue and city by-law violation, so are you going to help me out here (and subsequently prove that this isn't just some petty anti-Nenshi thing)?
Exactly what I was going to say. I've seen thousands of signs with metal spikes on public property, and I'm sure everyone has. I sure hope that anyone calling 311 over some chalk has called 311 for every metal pegged sign, or every sign too close to an intersection, or else they are being biased, and/or hypocritical, period.
     
     
  #2469  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:43 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. I've seen thousands of signs with metal spikes on public property, and I'm sure everyone has. I sure hope that anyone calling 311 over some chalk has called 311 for every metal pegged sign, or every sign too close to an intersection, or else they are being biased, and/or hypocritical, period.
or trolling.
     
     
  #2470  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:45 PM
TallDrinkofWater TallDrinkofWater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Oh, screw it. I ask you this, and I want an answer - steel post election signs are most definitely NOT permitted. Yet I see them everywhere. Have you called 311 on every single one of those that you saw? Including the candidate that you support (because I've seen them for every mayoral candidate and just about every aldermanic candidate as well)?

Did you call 311 back when they weren't removed? Because they're all over my neighbourhood (Royal Oak), if you have enough free time to be calling about chalk maybe you could call for me. I've seen thousands of them, surely that's more of an offense than some chalk. I believe the steel posts are actually a safety issue (vehicle tires, children) so I'd hope you'd put more concern towards your fellow citizen's well-being than some harmless graffiti that will wash off next time it rains.

Seeing as they are 100%, unarguably against city by-laws, and that's what matters, right? So why are they still standing? I have a clear safety issue and city by-law violation, so are you going to help me out here (and subsequently prove that this isn't just some petty anti-Nenshi thing)?
Call them yourself - obviously you'd rather write a book full of excuses instead of finding out for yourself.

If McIver was marking up the city with graffiti you'd be against it, but because its your guy its ok.
     
     
  #2471  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
talked to a buddy that works in the oil patch. He's a Nenshi convert - also said pretty much all his colleagues are Nenshi voters now. I think this bodes well, but I think it'll be close.
     
     
  #2472  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:49 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
Call them yourself - obviously you'd rather write a book full of excuses instead of finding out for yourself.

If McIver was marking up the city with graffiti you'd be against it, but because its your guy its ok.
No, I don't care who writes on the sidewalk with chalk. When I first saw the photos this morning, my first thought was that it was paint, which I would have been totally against.
     
     
  #2473  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:52 PM
Riise's Avatar
Riise Riise is offline
City Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary | London
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
LRT stations are gateways to communities; would be nice if there was small community board space devoted to neighbourhood events.

I remember at my university how important some of these community spaces were...
That's a good idea. Once your alderman is settled in, you should discuss it with them.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
If their going to send teams to clean up the chalk - its not legal.
If you are a girl, I bet you believe it when a guy you just slept with on the first date says he'll call you later...


Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
It's graffiti. If this guy had enough support out there he'd be able to afford signs.
Oh, so now you are saying that only the rich should be privileged enough to run a campaign and sit on Council. Such discrimination...
__________________
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz
     
     
  #2474  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:52 PM
Surferguy's Avatar
Surferguy Surferguy is offline
Westgate Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C-Town
Posts: 486
Nenshi Suppports Chalk Writting????....omg I Wish I Could Change My Vote!
__________________
Don't you hate pants?
     
     
  #2475  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:54 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
There is chalk on the ground?!!?

That is completely outrageous! Sidewalk chalk is incredibly distracting to drivers and constitutes an infringement upon our rights as citizens. We should all protest, demand recounts, pull down election signs, become arsonists, start a riot, punch babies, and call girls who draw hop-scotch games on the pavement mean names.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
     
     
  #2476  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
this chalk talk is worse than cupcakes.



Mmmmmm.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2477  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:55 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,225
Ok, assuming writing on a public sidewalk is against the law, I still don't think it's a problem, and there are far worse things going on in the city that we should focus on. Like I said, I seriously doubt I'll see anyone out there with a pressure washer cleaning the chalk off.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #2478  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:59 PM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
His campaign isn't above the law. The city is going to clean it up for a reason - its graffiti
So what about ACAD's Chalkwalk on 17th Ave?

http://calgaryculture.com/node/280
     
     
  #2479  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 10:59 PM
Surferguy's Avatar
Surferguy Surferguy is offline
Westgate Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C-Town
Posts: 486
don't forget to send those artist hippies to jail as well, I mean the nerve of marking up beautiful bland grey concrete with chalk art! I'm outraged! I dont care how realistic they look, I KNOW it is against the law so lock em up FOREVER!!!
__________________
Don't you hate pants?
     
     
  #2480  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 11:00 PM
Surferguy's Avatar
Surferguy Surferguy is offline
Westgate Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C-Town
Posts: 486
Damn you Ramsay! you beat me to it
__________________
Don't you hate pants?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:40 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.