HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2321  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 12:44 AM
stophs stophs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 237
Not sure if this has been posted yet. If most of Nenshi's 30%+ of support are this resilient, he will win on Monday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naheednenshi/5087327604/
     
     
  #2322  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:06 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Do you think there will be any more published polling before election day?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2323  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:10 AM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet. If most of Nenshi's 30%+ of support are this resilient, he will win on Monday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/naheednenshi/5087327604/
saw that on Twitter, awesome and funny.
__________________
Arts!: Click to listen
     
     
  #2324  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 2:41 AM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Anybody leaning or even remotely considering Nenshi- hell, every Calgary voter, period- should watch NN's town hall. I have never in my political life been more inspired by a candidate. For ANY office.
I agree. I think that Naheed did a very good job of answering some key questions. He comes across as genuine, knowlegeable and ready to take on the task of being this city's next mayor...but we all knew that didn't we?
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
     
     
  #2325  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 2:49 AM
mooky mooky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 482
Anyone like "Ric McIver" on facebook? Anyone ballsy enough to ask that crowd if anyone watched it and what they thought of the town hall if they did?

EDIT: Be careful, anyone can read his wall and I came across this gem of condescending contempt from some of his supporters. Wow, just wow! If you don't 'like' him you can't post however:

http://www.facebook.com/RicMcIver/posts/433512272853

Last edited by mooky; Oct 17, 2010 at 3:00 AM.
     
     
  #2326  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 2:54 AM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
too off-topic...
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
     
     
  #2327  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 3:11 AM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
FYI - The Flames coaching staff are all wearing purple ties!
__________________
I am Calgarian!
My photos on Flickr
     
     
  #2328  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 3:11 AM
Ferreth Ferreth is offline
IMHO
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 882
Where the Internet ad money is going

Alright, so the ads on this page just showed for me a "Naheed Nenshi for Mayor We need new, experienced leadership at City Hall. Read Naheed's Bio." text ad on the top, and a graphic Ric McIver "Real Change requires Real Experience" graphic ad on the bottom. Pretty much sums up how close this is gonna be on Monday.
__________________
---
My Flickr account
My Ratsofrass blog
     
     
  #2329  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 5:17 AM
shogged's Avatar
shogged shogged is offline
someone
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 453
spent around 2 hours volunteering with nenshi himself today. who he is when the voters aren't around made me want to find a way to vote twice. such a down to earth guy, cares 100% about this city. I am so excited for this election!
     
     
  #2330  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 6:44 AM
srperrycgy's Avatar
srperrycgy srperrycgy is offline
I'm the bear on the right
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Calgary (Killarney)
Posts: 1,670
__________________
Stevinder.
* * * * * *
     
     
  #2331  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 7:45 AM
Dafunk's Avatar
Dafunk Dafunk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 100
We definitely live in bizarro world when the Herald endorses McIver and the Sun, and I mean THE SUN, endorses Nenshi. huh.
     
     
  #2332  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 8:50 AM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafunk View Post
We definitely live in bizarro world when the Herald endorses McIver and the Sun, and I mean THE SUN, endorses Nenshi. huh.
When I first read that, my first thought was bizarro world. I think this gathers more votes than having The Herald backing him.
     
     
  #2333  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 9:54 AM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Not a bad tune:
• Video Link
     
     
  #2334  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 11:15 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
Anyone like "Ric McIver" on facebook? Anyone ballsy enough to ask that crowd if anyone watched it and what they thought of the town hall if they did?

EDIT: Be careful, anyone can read his wall and I came across this gem of condescending contempt from some of his supporters. Wow, just wow! If you don't 'like' him you can't post however:

http://www.facebook.com/RicMcIver/posts/433512272853
I saw the ad asking me to Like him, and noticed you can hide it. When I did it asked me why so that Facebook can better serve ads, and I checked "Misleading".
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums

Last edited by DizzyEdge; Oct 17, 2010 at 11:30 AM.
     
     
  #2335  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 11:23 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2336  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 11:26 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
And one from Platt who doesn't endorse Nenshi, but is disgusted by those who won't vote for him due to his race or religion:

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnists/michael_platt/2010/10/17/15720801.html
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2337  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:32 PM
crooked rain's Avatar
crooked rain crooked rain is offline
Calgarian
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wonderbread City
Posts: 1,547
The comments on the Sun's editorial will be classics:

ren Report CommentOctober 17th 2010, 7:19am
i'm a "white" and i'm about as "redneck" as the next TRUE albertan...and i'm deffinately not about to support anything to do with the muslim faith...but i'm not a racist and everybody has the right to follow whatever faith...that should never have any bearing on ones acceptance into office and shame on anybody who thinks that way...so i think i'm probably gonna vote for this guy, too! first of all, any candidate who was against the calatravasty bridge has gotten my consideration...but, at least we won't have to pay for some new posh fitness facility exclusive for silly hall employees...look at this guy, i bet he's never stepped foot in a gym...hahaha...so i don't think we'd have to worry about that one!
http://www.calgarysun.com/comment/editorial/2010/10/17/15720896.html
     
     
  #2338  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 1:44 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
I woke up this morning to bizzaro world becoming official. Rick Bell even calls out guys like myself in his column with this line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bell
It is like those individuals, including some of his own supporters, who pigeonhole the Sun only to be forced to eat crow.
     
     
  #2339  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 2:14 PM
ksnaden ksnaden is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 168
What's are everyone's thoughts on the best candidate for Ward 3?

Helene Larocque or Jim Stevenson?

It seems to be NCLRT vs Airport Tunnel pool. I can't remember why Helen was voted out last time, although I remember it was controversial. I worked with Jim on a Transit Planning Committee and I liked working with him - seemed to be good, you read a lot about him in the news, he's active.
     
     
  #2340  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 4:55 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksnaden View Post
What's are everyone's thoughts on the best candidate for Ward 3?

Helene Larocque or Jim Stevenson?

It seems to be NCLRT vs Airport Tunnel pool. I can't remember why Helen was voted out last time, although I remember it was controversial. I worked with Jim on a Transit Planning Committee and I liked working with him - seemed to be good, you read a lot about him in the news, he's active.
She never consulted with community associations, and all the presidents ran a public campaign against her. She has blamed as of late her loss on the presence of visible minorities in the ward. As an incumbent when you come third, you've really done something wrong.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:11 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.