HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2261  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 8:46 PM
mersar's Avatar
mersar mersar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 10,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
You and I both. Harper would be fantastic for Ward 1. If it was just him and Hodges, he would have a solid chance. Thing is there are too many others in the race and I think he is going to lose. As for Pashak, he is a great candidate, but it is hard to beat an incumbent, and John Mar hasn't made any major mistakes. But it will be a close one.
Yep, it will be interesting to see. Hopefully its close enough to keep Zak interested in running again as theres rumors of a pretty strong chance that as soon as the provincial election is called either spring 2011 or spring 2012 that Mar will make the leap to provincial politics, and at the latest thats only half way through the term meaning they'll have to call a by-election if Mar makes the jump and wins.
__________________

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here
     
     
  #2262  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 8:51 PM
Koolfire Koolfire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
The ultimate goal of Nenshi's Better Idea #1 was to have safe, affordable, legal housing for all Calgarians. However better idea #1 falls apart on detailed examination.

Safety runs in direct competition with the other two reasons for BI#1, increase the safety factor and affordability decreases, the landlord/homeowner must increase rent to cover their additional costs. Legal contrasts with safety as its cheaper to remain illegal secondary suite.

Legal housing would require more than just removing the redtape barriers. Current illegal secondary suite landlords will not convert to legal suites if the costs are too high, no matter how much the administrative burden is reduced. Similarly, new secondary suite homeowners will not go the legal route if costs are too high.

Affordability is where BI#1 really falls apart, for all the reasons I have highlighted above. Everything BI#1 increases the cost of secondary suites, to the point where costs for secondary suites would be equivalent to regular apartments. This really points to Nenshi's weak spot, he is very intelligent policy wonk but cannot cost out his proposal or minimize the unintended consequences. Result is that Mayor Nenshi will get a great secondary suite policy framework enacted that will do nothing to improve affordable housing, increase public safety, or provide a tangible benefit to Calgarians.
I have to disagree. The ones that want to provide safe proper secondary suites are caught up in red tape. I agree that illegal secondary suites would be expensive to redo and owners would not be inclined to do it. Would a fine of $10,000 on first offence (assuming major safety violations, zoning issue could be a smaller fine) get them moving? It wouldn't be that hard to sting people either. A team of 5 bylaw officers looking through ads, checking ads online and in the paper cross referencing the location with the zoning to find potential violations wouldn't be to hard. Then publicize it to put the fear in the landlords of illegal suites.

But, the city doesn't want to make the secondary suites ridiculously expense overnight so there has to be lots of safe secondary suites on the market. So yes the first step is to cut red tape. Second get as many up to code secondary suites as possible on the market and then third step is to crackdown on existing suites.

On a side note, the candidates in my ward have suggested amnesty for existing illegal suites that are brought up to safety code (or already but not correctly zoned).

So in my view there are two major factors to the equation. Availability and safety. If people of Calgary want to improve safety of these units and keep prices stable then the availability must increase. The biggest problem with the red tape is that even honest people get caught with illegal suites because something small (interconnect the smoke detectors, drywall needs to be 3/4" not standard 1/2") gets missed that would have been noticed on inspection. These small things are not overly expense if done from the beginning but to fix it afterward is big bucks.


Edit:
I saw Cages response to others on this afterward. I don't quite understand how the better idea falls apart. Most of the things you mentioned are inline with how I see things. But zoning issues and how the things are determine to be up to code is really all red tape. What is considered safe and want isn't is really all words on paper. Tomorrow the building code could change to say the 3/4" drywall in not good enough, it needs to be 1" or 3/4" is over the top and 5/8" is enough. Don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to gut the building code to make illegal suites legal but I'm sure there is thing that could be modified. The number one thing that residents object to with secondary suites it parking.

Last edited by Koolfire; Oct 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM. Reason: Noticed Cages post afterward.
     
     
  #2263  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:03 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
If 🞵🞵🞵 was possible to build a legal basement suite, there would be a lot of them built. People don't bother spending extra dollars when the city could make them rip it all out at any time. Not that there won't still be garbage out there. When I went to go look for a house to buy (looking for a suited place), we saw a lot of junk, and lots of stuff that would likely have been made legal if it had been possible. We ended up buying a place and then suiting it ourselves. I think it would meet any new code that they would come out with for suites. It has all of the things that are talked about as requirements for a legal suite. Technically, I could probobly go and legalize it now, since city legal "accidentally" legalized suites in R1Ns zoned properties, and mine is one.
     
     
  #2264  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:08 PM
suburb suburb is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 945
Great video - inspires people to want to get out to vote in the election. Highly recommended:

http://vimeo.com/15874304
     
     
  #2265  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:22 PM
TallDrinkofWater TallDrinkofWater is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Ok, since it is just before the weekend, here are my predictions (feel free to give your own):

Ward 14
Fox-Mellway (ugh)- 40%
Kao- 30%
Dur- 25%
Demong- 5%
polling for that ward was much tighter...your just sharing what you hope will happen.
     
     
  #2266  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:26 PM
tmjr tmjr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
You and I both. Harper would be fantastic for Ward 1. If it was just him and Hodges, he would have a solid chance. Thing is there are too many others in the race and I think he is going to lose. As for Pashak, he is a great candidate, but it is hard to beat an incumbent, and John Mar hasn't made any major mistakes. But it will be a close one.
May I ask what exactly is wrong with Hodges? Or is it just that Harper is better candidate, and not so much something wrong with Hodges?

I live in Ward 1. From my perspective, Hodges has done a reasonable job. I'm leaning towards voting for Hodges, but not yet settled. For me to vote for Harper, I would first need to be convinced NOT to vote for Hodges, and then convinced to vote for Harper from the other alternatives, many of who also seem reasonable.

I appreciate any perspective you can provide.

Thanks!
     
     
  #2267  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:31 PM
tmjr tmjr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Ok, since it is just before the weekend, here are my predictions (feel free to give your own):
Ward 8
Mar- 55%
Paskak- 50%
Others- 5%
Sorry - nothing useful to add - but that's a ward that really gives 110%!
     
     
  #2268  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:32 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDrinkofWater View Post
polling for that ward was much tighter...your just sharing what you hope will happen.
Oh, I definitely don't want this to happen. Just admitting that in a situation with an incumbent and multiple challengers, the incumbent almost always wins. Fox-Mellway is completely useless.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
     
     
  #2269  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:32 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
Sorry - nothing useful to add - but that's a ward that really gives 110%!
Remember, vote early, and vote often.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2270  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:33 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
have there been any good independent polls on the aldermanic races?
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
     
     
  #2271  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:33 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
Sorry - nothing useful to add - but that's a ward that really gives 110%!
I was counting on serious vote-rigging and ballots from dead people.

But thanks for pointing that out. Either way, it will be close methinks.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
     
     
  #2272  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:34 PM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
May I ask what exactly is wrong with Hodges? Or is it just that Harper is better candidate, and not so much something wrong with Hodges?

I live in Ward 1. From my perspective, Hodges has done a reasonable job. I'm leaning towards voting for Hodges, but not yet settled. For me to vote for Harper, I would first need to be convinced NOT to vote for Hodges, and then convinced to vote for Harper from the other alternatives, many of who also seem reasonable.

I appreciate any perspective you can provide.

Thanks!
Hodges is a crazy old man. With a comb over.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
     
     
  #2273  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:36 PM
tmjr tmjr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Hodges is a crazy old man. With a comb over.
Well, at least one of those things is true!
     
     
  #2274  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:36 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjr View Post
May I ask what exactly is wrong with Hodges? Or is it just that Harper is better candidate, and not so much something wrong with Hodges?

I live in Ward 1. From my perspective, Hodges has done a reasonable job. I'm leaning towards voting for Hodges, but not yet settled. For me to vote for Harper, I would first need to be convinced NOT to vote for Hodges, and then convinced to vote for Harper from the other alternatives, many of who also seem reasonable.

I appreciate any perspective you can provide.

Thanks!
Well, let's see - he's a dinosaur that has brought little-to-nothing to the table at City council in a long time, has no innovative ideas for reforming how council or administration does business, tried to dismantle (and has been partially successful) in dismantling the TOD Station Area Planning happening in his ward (Brentwood, Banff Trail). Doesn't own a computer....he's like the Ted Stevens of council. Generally, he's stuck in 1980s-style governance of the city - he approaches solutions to Calgary's problems like Calgary is a city of 200,000, just with more people.

Ward 1 desperately needs a fresh face.
     
     
  #2275  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 9:47 PM
Aegis's Avatar
Aegis Aegis is offline
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bankview
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Well, let's see - he's a dinosaur that has brought little-to-nothing to the table at City council in a long time, has no innovative ideas for reforming how council or administration does business, tried to dismantle (and has been partially successful) in dismantling the TOD Station Area Planning happening in his ward (Brentwood, Banff Trail). Doesn't own a computer....he's like the Ted Stevens of council. Generally, he's stuck in 1980s-style governance of the city - he approaches solutions to Calgary's problems like Calgary is a city of 200,000, just with more people.

Ward 1 desperately needs a fresh face.
He does own a computer. I have seen it.

I don't have a problem with his attempts to dismantle the TOD Station Area Planning in his ward, IF he's representing the wishes of his constituents. We need more candidates that work for their consitituents and not for special interests (re: Dianne C-U on the golf-course development issue). If the residents don't want the development, he's not doing anything wrong by representing them..
     
     
  #2276  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:01 PM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,686
^^Elected officials also have a responsibility to educate their constituency on what they believe is the best/right decisions that need to be made, and not just kowtow to the loudest of the bunch. Honestly, we'd have 0km of LRT if we just listened to the yelliest of citizens. Is there a single statistic showing the residents of Ward 1 are generally opposed to TOD's? Did Hodges make a single attempt to explain the issues/benefits/costs involved? Are you aware that almost all the areas involved in this debate actually exist in Ward 7?
__________________
Arts!: Click to listen
     
     
  #2277  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:16 PM
Aegis's Avatar
Aegis Aegis is offline
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bankview
Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
^^Elected officials also have a responsibility to educate their constituency on what they believe is the best/right decisions that need to be made, and not just kowtow to the loudest of the bunch. Honestly, we'd have 0km of LRT if we just listened to the yelliest of citizens. Is there a single statistic showing the residents of Ward 1 are generally opposed to TOD's? Did Hodges make a single attempt to explain the issues/benefits/costs involved? Are you aware that almost all the areas involved in this debate actually exist in Ward 7?
I don't know the answers to those questions, all I'm saying is that the alderman should represent the constituents more directly than not.. even if they are "wrong."
     
     
  #2278  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 10:52 PM
Boris2k7's Avatar
Boris2k7 Boris2k7 is offline
Majestic
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 11,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
If 🞵🞵🞵 was possible to build a legal basement suite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
If 🞵🞵🞵 was possible
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
🞵🞵🞵
Freudian slip?
__________________
"The only thing that gets me through our winters is the knowledge that they're the only thing keeping us free of giant ass spiders." -MonkeyRonin

Flickr
     
     
  #2279  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 11:00 PM
freeweed's Avatar
freeweed freeweed is offline
Home of Hyperchange
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dynamic City, Alberta
Posts: 17,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Sorry, guess I didn't make that clear enough. That was a comment from Ric's site by one of his supporters. Ric's site has a comment section where folks can mash out a message on the interweb.
More likely that I didn't read it properly (it's been a very bad day @ work, plus I'm known for doing just that anyway ).

Either way, I'll rephrase - most boring guy on Earth, and people like that have no business participating in the electoral process.

"I never ever use this, so no one else should either" is just about the most misguided, short-sighted way to think of anything, let alone help steer civilization with (even if it's a tiny insignificant amount of steering). I'm happy that most people can see past the end of their own nose, but it still saddens me that people exist who think this way.

Regardless, I still think McIver is a tool. I've never had the hate-on that a lot of SSP'ers have for him, but after this campaign, I'm starting to develop it.
     
     
  #2280  
Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 11:02 PM
Calgary_Guy Calgary_Guy is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Dear lord, is he the most boring man alive, or what? I've only been in Calgary 6 years and I've been to the airport dozens of times. Flying myself 2-4 times a year, plus picking up and dropping off friends, family etc all the time. And I'm not exactly a seasoned world traveler, and all of my family resides in Canada.

McIver really does no international travel, EVER? And has no family or friends who ever go more than a few hundred km from home? Seriously?

That's pathetic. I don't want someone who knows so little of the outside world running our city, thanks. It's like he's proud to live in isolation.
I would agree 100%... And this is why if McIver gets in the SE LRT will become his main focus rather then the Airport situation. I was just looking at Nenshi's Facebook friends list, and he has over 7,159 ! I'm impressed.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:54 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.