Posted Oct 7, 2010, 6:23 AM
|
 |
Back from the dead
|
|
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,621
|
|
I really like this tower . It's not plain but neither is it tacky . I don't know if graceful is the right word but it does still have a certain elegance to it . Plus I'm really happy that it's proposed for Tianjin ... a city I sorta consider my second home in China .
I should probably say something about skyscrapers in China too : About the only way for a skyscraper to stand out in a Chinese city is for it to be a supertall . 30 stories gets lost pretty quickly no matter how beautiful the building so you have to combine super height with beauty (we hope) to get any sort of outstanding result that will garner any attention . Fortunately , China is a place that can afford to build supertalls and where they make financial sense to build . While I'd assume that many of the supertalls in China will be rather easily forgotten , there are so many that some are bound to become civic icons that make them recognizable to Westerners as much as the Chinese themselves.
|