HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 3:25 AM
bob1954 bob1954 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 869
12-20 projects! I didn't realize the area was big enough for that kind of developement. Good news, this should (hopefully) get the ball rolling!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 4:52 AM
fusili's Avatar
fusili fusili is offline
Retrofit Urbanist
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1954 View Post
12-20 projects! I didn't realize the area was big enough for that kind of developement. Good news, this should (hopefully) get the ball rolling!
It is pretty decent. But in terms of scale, the Beltline has much more potential. My (somewhat refined) estimate is about 150 towers that can be built in the community. That works out to about 35K additional population (for a total of 55K or so). East Village will have maybe 10K at max, barely enough to support a grocery store.
__________________
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 1:39 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
Email News Release from CMLC:

I wonder if where they did the photo-op was the actual parcel that was sold... I had thought this parcel would have been one of the hardest to sell given it's proximity to the LRT (noise).
If you look at the master plan, this site is bisected by some sort of roadway. There's a narrow strip of land directly abutting the LRT line that was envisioned to be low-rise, likely mostly retail. There's then a narrow road, or pedestrian street or something that separates the rest of the main parcel. In the master plan it was called "water street"

This is the parcel that was sold - pretty prime site:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 5:58 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242
They had a clip on the news last night about this project and had a rendering I hadn't seen before that looked really good. Not sure if it's more conceptual in nature, but if the project takes any cues from it we can expect something really edgy and cool. The mere fact they are marketing it to younger demographics should hopefully bode well design wise (No POV stucco 🞵🞵🞵🞵 boxes).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2010, 10:38 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
They had a clip on the news last night about this project and had a rendering I hadn't seen before that looked really good. Not sure if it's more conceptual in nature, but if the project takes any cues from it we can expect something really edgy and cool. The mere fact they are marketing it to younger demographics should hopefully bode well design wise (No POV stucco 🞵🞵🞵🞵 boxes).
That was the render from the master planner
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:02 AM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,686
I was part of the focus group project, and was trying to be as persuasive as possible in pushing for contemporary architecture. I said historicism was a deal breaker. I think I was able to get a few people thinking about it.
__________________
Arts!: Click to listen
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 1:22 AM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is offline
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 26,242


I'm sure you were articulate and persuasive Jeff. Hopefully they listen.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
That was the render from the master planner
I thought it looked familiar. Well hopefully Bosa shares the same vision. On a side note, is their parcel of land the one featuring the cool bubble in all the master planning renderings? Hopefully not, as that would be ideal for public amenities of some kind.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:21 PM
kw5150's Avatar
kw5150 kw5150 is offline
Here and There
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
If you look at the master plan, this site is bisected by some sort of roadway. There's a narrow strip of land directly abutting the LRT line that was envisioned to be low-rise, likely mostly retail. There's then a narrow road, or pedestrian street or something that separates the rest of the main parcel. In the master plan it was called "water street"

This is the parcel that was sold - pretty prime site:

oh no, on that rendering, Booker's Crab Shack is gone....... NOOOOOO!!!! lol That place is amazing.
__________________
Renfrew, Calgary, Alberta.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2010, 4:51 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
oh no, on that rendering, Booker's Crab Shack is gone....... NOOOOOO!!!! lol That place is amazing.
I hope it's there for a long long time, we have had our company xmas parties there for a number of years and it's always awesome.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Heritage Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2010, 10:49 PM
Radley77's Avatar
Radley77 Radley77 is offline
The City That Moves
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgeland, Calgary
Posts: 1,450
There has been a 378 page report on the feedback released for St. Patrick's Island.

http://www.calgarymlc.ca/login/uploads/spmp_engagement_report_full.pdf

This is an amazing process, I am sure the final design will be much loved!

There are lots of creative doodles, and a couple survey results from the first two surveys, World Cafe, and other feedback. The next stage is more advisory committee meetings followed by some conceptual designs and a final survey.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:43 AM
Radley77's Avatar
Radley77 Radley77 is offline
The City That Moves
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bridgeland, Calgary
Posts: 1,450
BIke racks by the Simmons Building in the East Village (public washrooms in the background)!



Posted by Chris Ollenberger on Twitter: @collenbe

and new East Village murale by Kid Belo:


Kid Belo Blog: http://www.thekidbelo.com/exteriors/327

Last edited by Radley77; Oct 28, 2010 at 2:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 1:50 AM
shogged's Avatar
shogged shogged is offline
someone
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
and new East Village murale by Kid Belo:


Kid Belo Blog: http://www.thekidbelo.com/exteriors/327
this is fantastic. with the recent conference on graffiti and ways to prevent it, I thought of the idea again to have professional artists come in and paint the walls before the kids with no talent have a chance. This is a perfect example of it and I think it looks fantastic! Hopefully this kind of art project expands to other parts of the city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:40 AM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
A few more of Riverwalk from Chris Ollenberger - impressive.







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:43 AM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,225
Riverwalk looks fantastic!
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 2:44 AM
Colin's Avatar
Colin Colin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 364
^ Riverwalk looks amazing! I honestly couldn't even recognize it as Calgary.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:04 AM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
That really does look pretty great, nice to see some results from all that work. A fancy new bridge will only help.

Wonder how long before those LEDs die out though....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:12 AM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
That really does look pretty great, nice to see some results from all that work. A fancy new bridge will only help.

Wonder how long before those LEDs die out though....
I'm hoping about a week. I was down there tonight trying to get some photos, but everything is still fenced off. The lights were on again and now that I've seen them close up, I think they've over done it with the LEDs. I really like what they've done with the rest of walkway though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:15 AM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Good material selection on the lookouts. Really everything is top notch. It will be great one day when this quality of path extends all the way from West Village then eventually down the Elbow River to Lindsay Park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:19 AM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
I'm hoping about a week. I was down there tonight trying to get some photos, but everything is still fenced off. The lights were on again and now that I've seen them close up, I think they've over done it with the LEDs. I really like what they've done with the rest of walkway though.
LED's, especially coloured ones, seems a little counter intuitive to the mood you'd imagine they'd want to set in a promenade by the river type of environment. I'd think they would go for something a little more subtle and warm, but I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Other than that though, everything does look very appealing. Love the use of wood with glass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2010, 3:25 AM
Ramsayfarian's Avatar
Ramsayfarian Ramsayfarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
LED's, especially coloured ones, seems a little counter intuitive to the mood you'd imagine they'd want to set in a promenade by the river type of environment. I'd imagine they go for something a little more subtle and warm.

Other than that though, everything does look very appealing. Love the use of wood with glass.
You'd think they'd go with something more subtle but that's not what they've done. All those benches are light up with bright neon green lights. Looks like something more suited for Vegas.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:33 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.