Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023
I just hope for Chicago's sake that it doesn't end up being someone from the "Daley focuses too much on the lakefront" crowd who then goes the other way. Chicago needs to remember which side its bread is buttered on... and downtown and the north side lakefront neighborhoods sustain that whole city.
|
^ While true, I wouldn't give too much importance to the Mayor's ability to affect this legacy.
The 80's saw Chicago begin to hit its stride as a global financial center. Eugene Sawyer was supposedly the first Mayor to start describing Chicago as a "global city". During many of those years Chicago had black "reformer" Mayors.
During the downtown-centric Daley years Chicago did well, for sure. Kudos to him--Daley did a lot for the city. But in the end, I can't help but believe that huge, external economic forces carved out Chicago's legacy far more than he, or Washington, or Byrne, etc etc ever could.
That all said, I have said before that I don't want Chicago's Mayor to be in the business of charity and social change. I really don't. Cities cannot be great if they don't function first and foremost as economic centers. A mayor who doesn't get that and instead tries to turn his position into one that effects social change is a mayor who will drag down the city to promote his agenda. Daley understood that you could help the poor but only up to a point--he is a pragmatist. A corrupt pragmatist, but a pragmatist no less. Chicago doesn't need an idealogue.