HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 9:50 PM

Ten Years Ago

Back in 1999 and 2000 I went around some of my favorite neighborhoods and took a bunch of building pictures. Let's see if there's been any change in the last 10 years.

First up is the Danneman building. Back then it was an ultra-chic discount bodega combined with high-end laundromat: long lines for Lotto tickets and piles of bundled tube-socks sold from the bin of old meat coolers. Now it's a nondescript coffee shop and a couple of bars. Oh well

Here's a closer in shot. Never noticed the new rooftop structure and I'd forgotten what a great job they did with the 2nd story windows on the corner building. Looks terrific now

Dear Atlanta, please bury your fricking power lines. Jeez

I've got more from Edgewood plus a bunch from Little 5, East Atlanta and the Highlands. To be continued

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 1:55 AM

This is looking to be a very exciting thread! Just in the past two years I've noticed many changes for the better around Downtown, especially around Edgewood and Piedmont. I'm curious to see what else has improved.

Also- I didn't think a structure as ugly as the one in the 2001 shot could be made into such a beaut. I guess I need to reconsider the potential of more buildings in the vicinity--especially the drab concrete buildings at the SW corner of Edgewood and Jackson.

To the next 10 years!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2010, 3:21 PM

I have a photo I took in 2000 standaring in the parking lot at Peachtree and 6th looking west through the wasteland. You can even see right through the Biltmore (because there were no windows left). I'll see if I can find it and post a "before and after" shot.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2010, 10:18 PM

Oh man I love this kind of thing. More please!!!!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 12:35 AM

nice pics, but inman park area must find a way to stop the graffti

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 1:44 AM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
nice pics, but inman park area must find a way to stop the graffti
I'd take graffiti over our awful utility poles

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 8:23 PM

On to Little 5 Points: here's two buildings each with three commercial storefronts. On the left, started off as office space then was Carl's 5&10 in the 1950's. Home Store was there for a while in 1990's then they split the futon part over to the old A&P (where Rag-O-Rama is now) and the other part of Home Store moved to Church St in Decatur before finally closing for good last year. Soul Kiss lasted for a while and now it's BangOn and Criminal Records (which moved from next door to Junkman's Daughter on Moreland).

The next building which I'll always call Lucky Devil started as a bakery next to the Emery 5&10 and in the 50's was Bill's 5&10. I think this was Bridgetown Grill's first location and it lasted for over 10 years before changing to Mangrove Alley (decent roti) then the strange Grandma Luke's breakfast place until the Porter opened on September 8, 2008 (happy anniversary!). Lucky Devil lasted for quite a while but now it's a tattoo parlor and Le Petit Mort.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2010, 9:14 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

The last time I was there was 2001 and I wasn't wholly moved. A lot has happened over the last decade so I guess it's time for a second look - when I have a travel budget again.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 12:21 PM

Well, it is good to see all these changes going on the in the ATL. In that one with the corner tavern, are the windows new or were they covered up.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainiac View Post
Back in 1999 and 2000 I went around some of my favorite neighborhoods and took a bunch of building pictures. Let's see if there's been any change in the last 10 years.
Thats pretty cool. Its good to remember how much things have improved in some areas of the city.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 7:09 PM
HighScaper

I love this site: http://atlantatimemachine.com/

Check out my site!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 8:05 PM

Now, head on down Euclid. On the left is the Barfield building which is just a small commercial storefront attached to a traditional house. In the 1950's it was home to Barfield Brokers plus some miscellaneous offices over the years. Then WRFG was established and took over the bulk of the building from 1973 until they moved further down Euclid in 1982. In the 1980s it was Jean's Sandwich shop then a mexican place called Tapatio in the 1990s until Elmyr opened in 1997. Wish this 1999 shot showed the patio because I don't remember how it was laid out -- don't think they had windows along the side. But, oh well.

Next door is the old US Post Office Station E built in 1955 on the site of a typical house and operated at least until 1989 then moved over to Moreland. The new flea market folks have added some paint but not much else is different inside from the 1990's market (well, except the bookstore)

Margarita time!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta