HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #121  
Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 10:11 PM
fastcarsfreedom's Avatar
fastcarsfreedom fastcarsfreedom is offline
On Guard For Thee
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Essex County
Posts: 1,007
If it says "Supercentre" on the sign then it will have fully bakery, deli, meat, etc. WMT has various "formats" for the Supercentre concept--it could be that they simply went to something smaller in terms of square footage but kept the full assortment of products. Truth be told, WMT isnt really building much in the way of "traditional" Walmarts anymore in the U.S. or Canada--they build Supercentres almost exclusively now--my guess is that had they been unable to build a Supercenter on the MPM site, they wouldve moved elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #122  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 1:24 AM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsfreedom View Post
If it says "Supercentre" on the sign then it will have fully bakery, deli, meat, etc. WMT has various "formats" for the Supercentre concept--it could be that they simply went to something smaller in terms of square footage but kept the full assortment of products. Truth be told, WMT isnt really building much in the way of "traditional" Walmarts anymore in the U.S. or Canada--they build Supercentres almost exclusively now--my guess is that had they been unable to build a Supercenter on the MPM site, they wouldve moved elsewhere.
No they still would have built there.

An old buddy of mine is an executive with Walmart Canada and he told me a few years ago that the MPM location is one of the top three grossing stores in the country. There is no other location big enough or close enough to replace this one. Urban locations for a Supercentre are few and far between in this city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #123  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 2:41 AM
RaginRonic RaginRonic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 401
I went back to that new store site tonight, and I peered into a slightly exposed crack in the store's front entry, and saw some shelves for produce items in there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #124  
Old Posted Sep 11, 2010, 4:50 AM
mishap mishap is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 321
You know, the new store doesn't really offer that much more total space than the old one, but it greatly increases the sales area. I've heard that the former Woolco location has a basement about the same size as the gound floor. That would make sense, as I know that's the case at Eastgate. Basements are bad in the modern retail model. The idea is to have as much product out on the sales floor as possible, and keep storage to a minimum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #125  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 2:03 AM
RaginRonic RaginRonic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 401
I have come into more info about the Walmart Mountain Plaza transition, courtesy a chat with an assistant manager there.

First, about the old store...the present Walmart location is going to be closing it's doors for the final time at 6PM on Thursday night.

Now, about the new store...it will open up for business at 8AM on Friday morning, after an opening ceremony to commemorate the new location.

I also found out that the new store is double the size of the old one, and saw that the McDonald's in that new store will be located just adjacent to the main entrance on the left side of the store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #126  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 6:00 AM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
I have come into more info about the Walmart Mountain Plaza transition, courtesy a chat with an assistant manager there.

First, about the old store...the present Walmart location is going to be closing it's doors for the final time at 6PM on Thursday night.

Now, about the new store...it will open up for business at 8AM on Friday morning, after an opening ceremony to commemorate the new location.

I also found out that the new store is double the size of the old one, and saw that the McDonald's in that new store will be located just adjacent to the main entrance on the left side of the store.
Well that manager is either lying or misinformed as to the size being double that of the old store. The old store is close to 100,000 sf. I know that because I used to do work in the mall for the old owners years ago. If what that manager said was true the new store would be close to 200,000 sf which would make it the largest Wall Mart in the country. The new store which I see everyday isn't much bigger than the old store if it is at all.

Edit: Using Google earth I roughly measured the footprints of the old building and the new building. The old building would be approximately 90,000 sf while the new building is about 110,000 sf. It's not exact, but it is close.

Last edited by bigguy1231; Sep 15, 2010 at 6:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #127  
Old Posted Sep 15, 2010, 7:01 AM
RaginRonic RaginRonic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Well that manager is either lying or misinformed as to the size being double that of the old store. The old store is close to 100,000 sf. I know that because I used to do work in the mall for the old owners years ago. If what that manager said was true the new store would be close to 200,000 sf which would make it the largest Wall Mart in the country. The new store which I see everyday isn't much bigger than the old store if it is at all.
Well, sometimes, perception can be decieving to the naked eye....with that space the new store is on, it's longer left to right and is a deeper store going back to that fence that is going up around the rear perimeter of that property.

Though I think that you were betting the loading bay for the store would be closer to the road on U. James St. than where it sits...the same thought happened to me when I had my head churning about it.

But, you know, what the hell...a Supercentre fit on that area of land anyway, and The Final Countdown to both Thursday night and Friday morning is on. (And yes, I dropped a really cool song title there XD.)

Oh...in this article here --> http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/219452 , there are conflicting paragraphs here that read as follows...

1. 'Members of the informal group, which has for years been meeting at Zak's Cafe and Deli inside the Mountain Plaza Mall, aren't sure what will happen when their favourite meeting spot is closed and the last section of the old mall is torn down in the new year.'

2. 'A few days later, that section of the mall is scheduled to meet the wrecking ball, part of the ongoing reconstruction of the mall into a big box centre.'

Now, I'm just wondering, is SmartCentres actually going to demolish ALL of the Mountain Plaza building instead of keeping a portion of it?

Last edited by RaginRonic; Sep 17, 2010 at 2:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #128  
Old Posted Sep 18, 2010, 2:00 AM
mishap mishap is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginRonic View Post
First, about the old store...the present Walmart location is going to be closing it's doors for the final time at 6PM on Thursday night.
Your source was off. I stopped by at 5:30, and they were already closed. Not sure what time they actually shut it down. What's interesting is that there was not a single sign up listing their closing time for Thursday, even though they still had early closing signs up for the pharmacy. So maybe 6:00 was the original plan, and they decided to wrap things up early. Of course, you then have to hide the signs...

Oh well, one day isn't a huge deal. Better than a certain toy retailer on Upper Wentworth that shuts down five minutes early every day.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #129  
Old Posted Sep 19, 2010, 6:34 PM
RaginRonic RaginRonic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishap View Post
Your source was off. I stopped by at 5:30, and they were already closed. Not sure what time they actually shut it down. What's interesting is that there was not a single sign up listing their closing time for Thursday, even though they still had early closing signs up for the pharmacy. So maybe 6:00 was the original plan, and they decided to wrap things up early. Of course, you then have to hide the signs...

Oh well, one day isn't a huge deal. Better than a certain toy retailer on Upper Wentworth that shuts down five minutes early every day.
Well, with the new store open, I have to say that it is HUGE inside there...I knew it would be bigger anyway, but holy —! O.o

And yeah....that store was crazy on it's 1st day open. o.o
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #130  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 6:20 AM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
Here's an article about the new WalMart.
http://www.hamiltonmountainnews.com/news/article/219946

It says the new store is 99,000 sf, about 10,000 sf bigger than the old store. I knew they had downsized from the original proposal. Just couldn't find anything written about it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #131  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 4:10 PM
markbarbera markbarbera is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 3,050
...and it has the Supercentre's full line of groceries, including deli, meats and fresh produce.

It is also seriously understaffed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #132  
Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 6:50 PM
jeremy jeremy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
Understaffed and under-shopping carted. They are always out! Same with the old store. It's very annoying especially when I go with my 18-month old daughter.

And while I'm complaining, whats with the signs stating "Mothers Parking"? Can I not park there when I have my daughter?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #133  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 5:35 AM
bigguy1231 bigguy1231 is offline
Concerned Citizen
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Understaffed and under-shopping carted. They are always out! Same with the old store. It's very annoying especially when I go with my 18-month old daughter.

And while I'm complaining, whats with the signs stating "Mothers Parking"? Can I not park there when I have my daughter?
The old store had less than 50 carts before they closed. Over 200 were stolen over the years. I am sure they have a full compliment at the new store. It's just that the place is packed all the time. The new carts also have devices attached to them that prevent them from being removed from the parking lot. The electronic device locks up the wheels if you go beyond a certain point.

As for the staffing all Walmarts in this country are understaffed compared to the ones in the US.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #134  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
BCTed BCTed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
Understaffed and under-shopping carted. They are always out! Same with the old store. It's very annoying especially when I go with my 18-month old daughter.

And while I'm complaining, whats with the signs stating "Mothers Parking"? Can I not park there when I have my daughter?
Probably for cars that have expectant mothers in them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #135  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 12:53 PM
jeremy jeremy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9
There's a picture of a mother with a stroller, and those spots are usually for expectant mothers or parents with a young child.

But, thats just a minor annoyance of mine.

What really bothers me about the knew Mountain Plaza is how it is so inaccessible if you're walking (which you're now forced to do). You take your life into your hands crossing from the Shoppers to CIBC. And there's no sidewalk or ramps. I emailed SmartCentres and they said a sidewalk wasn't part of their plan (duh!) and they would look into it after receiving numerous complaints.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #136  
Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 9:50 PM
matt602's Avatar
matt602 matt602 is offline
Hammer'd
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,785
Really not surprising considering the suburban format that the development follows. It and The Centre are absolute hell if you need to get around on foot. When you're building box stores with a sea of parking, it's pretty impossible to cater to the pedestrian.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #137  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:45 PM
NortheastWind NortheastWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 640
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #138  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 9:36 PM
LRTfan LRTfan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 773
not a bad start....although 8-12 stories would be ideal along Fennell. Let's hope we see WAY more of this on all mall and power centre properties in the years to come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #139  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 10:02 PM
realcity's Avatar
realcity realcity is offline
Bruatalism gets no respec
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Williamsville NY
Posts: 4,059
needs to be double the height, across the street is 20ish, and see even today they are contemplating ground level retail. What?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #140  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 5:01 PM
NortheastWind NortheastWind is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 640
If you look at the drawings the plan calls to realign the Fennel exit/entrance by purchasing the 3 existing houses to the east of the current entrance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.