HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #881  
Old Posted Aug 19, 2010, 11:34 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Some developments around Waverly Park, kind of. Waverly Towers is getting a new facade, hopefully it isn't ugly. They're removing the old concrete panels (which are much thinner than I thought, though facades usually are), no idea what will take their place.



Regency Court, which is now known as Clark Towers, was painted more of a taupe colour, so it stands out less than it did.



St. Andrew's Roman Catholic Church has painted its steps red and blue, which is a nice improvement over the patched concrete they've had for years. It would be nice if they replaced the concrete in front of the steps with paving stones and gardens but they probably don't have the money for that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #882  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 8:13 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I made a rough guide to my vision for a multi-purpose centre at the corner of Simpson and Miles

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/5200/arenaplancopy.jpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #883  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 2:46 PM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
Looks good . I still prefer keeping it at the bus terminal site in Port Arthur though. Also keep in mind that the Gardens will likely be demolished after the new centre is built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #884  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 2:47 PM
ccnews ccnews is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 87
multi-purpose centre

send it to the city planners,
I would rather see the new centre built in the south ward,
the north ward has the marina and casino, lets build on those amenities

putting a 6-7500 capacity arena on the waterfront is crazy, there currently is only one access point onto the property and even if the city did build another overpass at the foot of John street, its still crazy


nice work Vid

one of these days I'll start posting pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #885  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 8:56 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
If you want any advice on photography, ask at the Flickr Thunder Bay group.

I'd rather the Port Arthur bus terminal site stays a bus terminal. The Fort William Gardens can be maintained as a curling club, especially if the PA and FW clubs merge.

My main vision with putting the centre there is to help revitalize Simpson Street and the downtown east side simultaneously. Before the casino, South Cumberland and Pearl was just as bad as Simpson was a few years ago. Simpson is pretty calm now (the crime map shows a lower rate of crime than even I expected) but it could still use some fixing up. I don't think we should be sticking everything in one place either. Port Arthur does not have the street capacity to hold such large venues, getting in and out of that area is too difficult when too many people are on the road at once. Fort William has wider streets and is on a more proper grid, so getting people out of the area is much easier, which makes it better suited to destinations like this.

Just because DTPA is the entertainment district, doesn't mean all entertainment has to happen there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #886  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 2:41 PM
ccnews ccnews is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 87
I agree, all points are valid. Having the arena on the waterfront and NOT having any more/additional access points would cause a traffic headache.

with the arena in the area you have suggested, you would be able to use Simpson and May streets to go North, Arthur and Miles to go West

in a report presented to council in 1990, they suggested having a new multiplex be built on the block directly in front of the current arena

this city has been studying the replacement of the Fort William Gardens since way (reports currently on my desk) - how long and how many more consultants are we going to hire and PAY until we get a new multiplex sporting facility
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #887  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 3:38 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
With the current plan they will probably start construction in a couple years, if they can fund it, and with the Invest Thunder Bay fund or whatever it is called, they've basically got that. (The city has about 70 million in capital just sitting there, not being spent.) They're looking at a possible 2013 start date, I think. All the studies they're doing now are part of the development process, they're pretty much past the "should we" phase and into the "when will we" phase.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #888  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 6:47 AM
Danny D's Avatar
Danny D Danny D is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 116
I haven't seen this mentioned at all here, but along with the REACH addition the McIntyre Building at Confederation College is getting a facelift and a small addition. The last time I was there was a couple weeks ago to drop off some papers at the Shuniah building so I didn't get a good look at it but it should be done or very close to it.

__________________
Architectural Technologist Student - Confederation College
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #889  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 4:23 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
I've known about it but haven't been up there. Last time I was at the hospital (early June) there was work going on there as well. I never go out that way so I have no idea what is done or isn't.

Any progress on that condo on Balmoral/Waterloo?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #890  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:18 AM
F. Lionel F. Lionel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dorion, Ontario
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I've known about it but haven't been up there. Last time I was at the hospital (early June) there was work going on there as well. I never go out that way so I have no idea what is done or isn't.
From my visit there it looks like an extension to the C Wards on all three levels.
They are going to have to re-landscape the approach to the maternity department since the construction has done away with the round-about.
__________________
Maybe Tomorrow I'll want to settle down.
Until Tomorrow I'll just keep moving on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #891  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:21 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
That's at the other end of the hospital by emergency, I am pretty sure something was going on above the main entrance (Golf Links side) last time I was there, but maybe I am confusing it with the time I went there in January 09? I think they were building something for NOSM students then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #892  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 12:49 PM
F. Lionel F. Lionel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dorion, Ontario
Posts: 333
There's no construction at that end of the hospital at all from what I could see when I was there last week. I am pretty sure the NOSM expansion was completed last fall. The only construction I could see was the obvious expansion by Emergency.
__________________
Maybe Tomorrow I'll want to settle down.
Until Tomorrow I'll just keep moving on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #893  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 3:23 PM
ccnews ccnews is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 87
your both correct,
the expansion above/close to the main entrance was for NOSM (Medical school students), the expansion by the emergency/maternity area is for the new MRI equipment

as far as the new condo near Waterloo and Balmoral - nothing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #894  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2010, 7:26 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Update on the retirement home at Isabella and Franklin:



They've made obvious efforts to reflect the architecture of Isabella school. Hopefully the whole thing will be brick, and not just the main floor.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #895  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 8:50 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Looking at the city council minutes for the next meeting:

Habib Enterprises is seeking a rezoning for the former St. John School on Ray Boulevard to develop the school into a mixed use condo and community health clinic, and to build 23 townhouses on the greenspace behind the school. It has received a fair amount of opposition from people on Ray Boulevard and Dalton Street, who seem to think it will turn their streets into a freeway leading to a meth clinic.

A developer is proposing a zoning change on the 500 block of Red River to construct a six unit apartment which will be set too far back from the street because it will provide almost two spaces per apartment, on a lot where a house stood until university students completely trashed it three years ago and it was subsequently demolished. It's opposed by someone who lives down the street who no doubt is worried about the increase in traffic a six unit apartment building will have on what is one of the city's busiest streets.

Building permits have passed 100 million dollars this year. Apparently this is the highest total in 20 years and next year will be even busier, so the building permits department is going to encourage people to file their permits sooner so that they can deal with the increased demand.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #896  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 1:01 PM
russman's Avatar
russman russman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 163
Work appears to be starting on the condo at Grenville and Adelaide.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #897  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 2:04 PM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Yes, kept forgetting to mention that. It has been going on since late August.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #898  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 7:39 PM
tjernobyl tjernobyl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
A developer is proposing a zoning change on the 500 block of Red River to construct a six unit apartment which will be set too far back from the street because it will provide almost two spaces per apartment, on a lot where a house stood until university students completely trashed it three years ago and it was subsequently demolished.
Apparently, the zoning by-law requires nine, or 1.5 per apartment for some reason.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #899  
Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 10:55 PM
softee's Avatar
softee softee is offline
Aimless Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown Toronto
Posts: 3,434
Link to full article:
http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2758879

Merchant seeks feedback on pedestrian mall
Business owner seeks feedback
By GORD YOUNG The Nugget

A downtown merchant is trying to gauge public opinion on the concept of a pedestrian mall in the core of the city.

Stacy Hebert, who operates Momma Mia Maternity and Infant Apparel Boutique on Main Street, has been collecting feedback from patrons since late-July to see if there's support for the idea of closing a portion of the downtown to traffic and create an outdoor pedestrian mall.


Hebert has been gathering signatures for and against the proposal at approximately 70 locations throughout the downtown. She plans to conduct an analysis of the responses at the end of the month. And if the feedback shows public support, Hebert will bring the proposal to the Downtown Improvement Area board for discussion.
__________________
Public transit is the lifeblood of every healthy city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #900  
Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 4:04 AM
vid's Avatar
vid vid is offline
I am a typical
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 39,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjernobyl View Post
Apparently, the zoning by-law requires nine, or 1.5 per apartment for some reason.
Yes, and they're providing 10, five on each side. The extra 0.5 spots is for visitors. That's assuming every single tenant has at least one car and that at any time, half of them have guests who also arrived in cars!

There should be maximum parking requirements, not minimums. Both Intercity and RioCann centre provide less parking than the by-law requires, so it is obvious that the minimums are too high, even for companies that depend on offering free parking.

Thunder Bay's Active Transportation plan has a downtown pedestrian mall in its medium-term future goals, so we'll probably hear about something like that here in the next year or two.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.