Quote:
Originally Posted by WeST
Projects you make comments as if it totally perplexes you that Sandy has not moved forward with numerous projects. I don't think you appreciate the magnitude of the recession this country and state is experiencing. I would be amazed if, in the environment, they went forward with many of these projects. There is hardly any demand out there and even if there was, businesses and individual are having an extremely hard time getting financing.
We use to talk about dozens of projects in Salt Lake City that have since stalled or been canceled. Given the necessary time, things will pick up again, but it may be a couple more years. It stinks, but is the truth.
|
I do agree that a lot of this has to do with this crappy economy and yes I'm sure once we do finally get out what seems like an endless recession a developer ( with funding ) will finally develop something around the stadium. I do agree with NYC Rick when he said that area around the stadium does kind of look like a dump. I've been to a few Real Salt Lake games and I have enjoyed my time there. However parking is a joke. I've said this before that the city of Sandy needs to step up and build a parking garage for not only the stadium, but for the expo center as well. There has been talks in the past the Sandy city wants to develop the area around the stadium as a mix-use ( Gateway ) kind of development. I'm all for that. I think having a hotel or two in that area would be a good idea as well having shops/restaurants all walling distance from the stadium. The stadium is nice, the surrounding area ( other then the Jordan Commons ) not so nice.
Yes I understand that there is hardly any demand out there and even if there was, businesses and individual are having an extremely hard time getting financing. However that doesn't seem to stop other cities like South Jordan with the Daybreak project that even during this hard times they are still building homes at a impressive rate. The U of U just broke ground there the other day. Salt Lake city has countless project that are under construction or about to break ground as well as the U of U. There's develop happening at the north end of Utah county as well as Thanksgiving Point. We are starting to see a construction boom in downtown Provo. Seems like where ever I go I see a ton of 4-story apartment buildings popping up all over the valley. ( I'm sure that has to do with all the forecloses and with people losing their homes there's a big demand right now on apartments. ) I could go on. My point is that all these other cities and developer seem to find a way to get the funding and get their projects moving forward. But at this time there seems to be nothing going on in Sandy. They had a condo project under construction by the Jordan high school that has since stalled. All their proposals are dead or on hold.