HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1101  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 10:39 PM
Cow-garian's Avatar
Cow-garian Cow-garian is offline
Cowtown Enthusiast YeeHaw
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 115
^Awesome vid. Now it really makes sense as to what that thing does.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1102  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2010, 11:15 PM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
Very cool. How are they at turning though? Is it on some form of track?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1103  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 1:52 AM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateWhore View Post
Very cool. How are they at turning though? Is it on some form of track?
From what I have seen it anchors to the pillars and then is winched forward.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1104  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2010, 8:15 PM
Aegis's Avatar
Aegis Aegis is offline
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bankview
Posts: 1,457
Does anyone know, are the sections of the elevated portion of the WLRT built in a Calgary facility? If so, where?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1105  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 6:31 PM
Sean.Perrin's Avatar
Sean.Perrin Sean.Perrin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 683
^^^

Are they not being built on site by that big yellow thing?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1106  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 6:34 PM
thager's Avatar
thager thager is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin View Post
^^^

Are they not being built on site by that big yellow thing?
no that just lifts them in to place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1107  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2010, 7:55 PM
mwalker_mw mwalker_mw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 287
The "big yellow thing" appeared to be slowly creeping toward it's next perch when I was out at lunch. Doesn't appear to be a quick process.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1108  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 4:23 PM
Sean.Perrin's Avatar
Sean.Perrin Sean.Perrin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
no that just lifts them in to place.
Woah... I can see the thing from my bedroom window... you'd think I would have noticed hahah.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1109  
Old Posted Jul 25, 2010, 5:21 PM
thager's Avatar
thager thager is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin View Post
Woah... I can see the thing from my bedroom window... you'd think I would have noticed hahah.
then take some pic's for us .
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1110  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 1:58 PM
Sean.Perrin's Avatar
Sean.Perrin Sean.Perrin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by thager View Post
then take some pic's for us .
I've never added pics here before.... don't I need a flickr account or something?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1111  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 2:51 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Does anyone know, are the sections of the elevated portion of the WLRT built in a Calgary facility? If so, where?
Hey,

they are indeed built in Calgary, by Con-Force. I was in there a couple weeks ago for a plant tour, its a pretty impressive facility they've got there. If you're in the area I suggest checking out the massive cantilevered sections they are pouring outside...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s_...k9AZT_K3PuLs2Ob3nrQ&cbp=12,15.42,,0,0.61
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1112  
Old Posted Jul 26, 2010, 3:10 PM
jeffwhit's Avatar
jeffwhit jeffwhit is offline
effete latte-lifter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Aalborg, DK
Posts: 3,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin View Post
I've never added pics here before.... don't I need a flickr account or something?
try picasa web hosting from the google.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1113  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 7:53 PM
yyc_engineer's Avatar
yyc_engineer yyc_engineer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Somewhere between OOL and MCY
Posts: 427
a couple more snaps from Area 1. I must say with all the rain this month and "skytrain" pieces starting to take to the air, July feels more like vancouver than calgary...


Segment 1 in place, looking DT


Looking West at Segment 2
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1114  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:04 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Awesome updates, I really appreciate the insiders look that you give us!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1115  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 8:11 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
I know it's been mentioned about the interlocking "teeth" and such in the segments, but how exactly are these all being attached together?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1116  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2010, 10:50 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I know it's been mentioned about the interlocking "teeth" and such in the segments, but how exactly are these all being attached together?
Post tensioning cables.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1117  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 1:46 AM
mwalker_mw mwalker_mw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I know it's been mentioned about the interlocking "teeth" and such in the segments, but how exactly are these all being attached together?
Elmer's Glue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1118  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 2:17 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
I was hoping for velcro, but ok
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1119  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 2:49 AM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Post tensioning cables.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker_mw View Post
Elmer's Glue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I was hoping for velcro, but ok
You're all wrong, it's the power of love.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1120  
Old Posted Jul 28, 2010, 4:18 AM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You're all wrong, it's the power of love.
Actually spittle from Rick Bell's rants.


Ok I'm done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:00 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.