Quote:
Originally Posted by lightrail
I respectfully disagree that traffic is the issue. I believe if you get rid of the viaducts, you must not replace the lost capacity. Just reconnect the grid below. The traffic, amazingly will disperse.
|
Amazing. I wonder if this remarkable phenomenon will happen if we cut bus routes? Bike lanes? Sidewalks? Mail routes? The traffic, amazingly, will just disperse!
I wish someone would actually quantify this phenomenon. Either there are less trips, or they have gone somewhere specific. If we understood what happened in those other cities, then we could say something like:
"Remove the viaducts and X% of people will stop travelling altogether, Y% will switch to buses, Z% will use the reconnected grid, and Q% will switch to another arterial route."
Without putting numbers to these, it is all just handwaving and wishful thinking. You don't
know whether you are condemning the DTES by removing the viaducts. You don't
know whether there will be gridlock on the reconnected grid. You don't
know whether bike travel will be hindered or not.
And it is absurd to tear down 80-yr infrastructure when you don't know what the result will be.