HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #521  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 1:05 AM
JustinMacD JustinMacD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 310
This is such a rad development. Nice pics guys.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #522  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 7:32 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Mine from yesterday;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #523  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 7:34 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
double post ... sorry

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 1, 2010 at 9:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #524  
Old Posted Jul 8, 2010, 1:23 AM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
I drove by the site today and see that they are starting work on the second building lot, the one for the first condo. I guess really it will be all parking structure at first. And they are ripping down the last small building. The one that was behind the big one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #525  
Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 6:12 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Does anyone know how frequently the train passes in front of this project? Everytime I go to take a photo I get held up by the slowest train in history;





And as a bonus a view of the Halifax skyline with the Hollis@Morris crane visible;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #526  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:33 PM
JustinMacD JustinMacD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 310
Did you guys know that there's a contest to name the 30 story condo?

Help Us Name the Tower
We are requesting that the community submit their suggestions to name this iconic, extraordinary structure. The individual who submits the winning name will be honoured at the opening of the tower and a donation will be made to the charity of their choice.

Please email your suggestion to: [email protected]
--

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #527  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:40 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Does anyone know how frequently the train passes in front of this project? Everytime I go to take a photo I get held up by the slowest train in history;
Twice a day. Once at 10am I think and the other at 430 or so.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #528  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:46 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Did you guys know that there's a contest to name the 30 story condo?
I suggested COLERIDGE PLACE after Samuel Taylor Coleridge. He wrote "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner". It would connect the site to history as well as to a wider international community as the poet and the poem are widely known.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #529  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 4:55 PM
JustinMacD JustinMacD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
I suggested COLERIDGE PLACE after Samuel Taylor Coleridge. He wrote "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner". It would connect the site to history as well as to a wider international community as the poet and the poem are widely known.
Interesting.

I'd probably go for something a little sexier since it's such a unique building for this area. It'll probably end up being some type of homage to historic Halifax though.

I'd go for "Pacey Plaza" just for kicks. lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #530  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:31 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I was talking with them on site yesterday and was told the first building will be going vertical in about a months time. So that means a crane by fall. And I was also told that sales have jumped 55% since construction has started.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #531  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:34 PM
bluenoser's Avatar
bluenoser bluenoser is offline
hi
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Wow, the site is starting to look a lot different without the marine slips building. It's great to see it take shape.

I think Hollis/Morris will be a subtle but great addition in the background of the skyline, especially from this vantage point.

Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know how they go about constructing these towers in what's basically the harbour? I've always been interested but never really looked into it. I can see how they could just drive piles fairly deep but I don't see exactly how they will excavate for underground parking etc. Even to build retaining walls seems like it would be very difficult. By contrast, I don't think buildings like Purdy's Wharf have much going on underground as there's a seperate parkade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
I suggested COLERIDGE PLACE after Samuel Taylor Coleridge. He wrote "Rime Of The Ancient Mariner". It would connect the site to history as well as to a wider international community as the poet and the poem are widely known.
I like the historical aspect but it would be cool to keep it local as well; someone like Joseph Howe, though he already has a building... As for international, how about the 'Sidney Crosby Olympic Gold Medal Goal Memorial Tower'? It just kind of rolls of the tongue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #532  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:41 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Given its location at the foot of the Shudie Canal how about ...

"The Locks at King's Wharf"

or

"The Canal"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #533  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 5:45 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but does anyone know how they go about constructing these towers in what's basically the harbour? I've always been interested but never really looked into it. I can see how they could just drive piles fairly deep but I don't see exactly how they will excavate for underground parking etc. Even to build retaining walls seems like it would be very difficult. By contrast, I don't think buildings like Purdy's Wharf have much going on underground as there's a seperate parkade.

From what I can see in the stage ii agreement they won't be excavating beyond what you see for the piles. The agreement shows that the lowest parking structure floor will be 2m above the high-high water mark. The first level of occupied living space will be 5m above the water mark.
As for the piles, each one of them has had immense weight put on it. I looked up the details on that diesel hammer and each bang puts about 45000 pounds of pressure onto the pile. With thirty hits per pile more or less and a couple of hundred piles in a single building lot you're ready to support a lot of building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #534  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 6:11 PM
bluenoser's Avatar
bluenoser bluenoser is offline
hi
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 630
Thanks, that's all really interesting. It makes sense that the ground level will end up higher than what it is currently, and I guess it makes sense not to have parking underground, which could end up underwater in case of an extremely bad flood or storm surge or something like that.

So does this mean that parking will take up the lower (above ground) levels of some of the buildings?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #535  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 10:31 PM
JustinMacD JustinMacD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 310
A bit of an older vid on Kings Wharf.. dunno if you guys have seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZktT2FbPdOo
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #536  
Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 11:21 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
A bit of an older vid on Kings Wharf.. dunno if you guys have seen it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZktT2FbPdOo
Haha! I think most of us have because I remember some talk about Peter's eyes during the video.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #537  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2010, 11:38 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
I gotta say, I went by the site on Friday and there seems to be a fundamental change. They have started on the roadbed and to me it makes all the difference in the world. It is not the old marine slips anymore. It is King's Wharf, totally. There are also some forms in place and rebar ready to be set up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #538  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 8:20 PM
bluenoser's Avatar
bluenoser bluenoser is offline
hi
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 630
The site was bustling today - lots of digging and moving and driving, with a constant stream of dump trucks in and out.












(all photos by me)

I was told that the first two buildings will have two levels of underground parking, which will both still be above the water level, and actual 'ground level' will end up around what's now the roof of the sales centre (white building in the background of the third pic), maybe even a bit higher. That seems pretty high to me - it will make for a nice view of the harbour from ground level, but at the same time I think it would feel a bit removed from the water itself, compared to the Halifax waterfront or Alderney Landing. Also, it will completely block the view of the harbour from the ground level of the surrounding area, but I suppose it would have done that anyway with all the buildings.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Overall I am incredibly happy about how nice this project is and the fact that it's really going ahead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #539  
Old Posted Jul 19, 2010, 8:26 PM
bluenoser's Avatar
bluenoser bluenoser is offline
hi
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 630
...and, for no specific reason, some photos from around the site:







The inspiration for the name?


The next door neighbors might have an ugly place but at least they're patriotic.

(all photos by me)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #540  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2010, 12:45 AM
hfxtradesman hfxtradesman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 84
got some nice shots
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.