HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

View Poll Results: What do you think of penguins?
I like them! 43 89.58%
I don't like them (I have no soul). 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 2:04 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Post Update

Construction has begun on the Penguin exhibit!

Penguin exhibit presses ahead
Zoo officials downplay criticism

By Jamie Komarnicki, with files from Richard Cuthbertson, Calgary Herald, For the Calgary Herald June 28, 2010 7:02 AM

Tough criticism of the Calgary Zoo's approach to expanding its collection won't stop the facility from plunging ahead with a new, $24.5-million penguin exhibit.

Construction is already underway on the Antarctic Landing exhibit, which will eventually feature as many as 90 penguins from four species.

"It's been thoroughly planned out and it's well underway," said zoo spokeswoman Laurie Herron.

The exhibit is expected to open in early 2012, she said.

The Calgary Zoo came under fire last week after a report -- requested by zoo officials following a series of deaths and animal mishaps -- revealed a number of problems at the facility.

Amid other concerns revealed by the review team of accredited zoo experts were issues over the Calgary Zoo's poor collection planning, which showed little focus, critics argued.

Herron said the penguin display has already undergone exhaustive planning for several years, noting the zoo has experts on hand to care for the penguins once they arrive and is planning to bolster its team of knowledgeable marine animal staff in the meantime.

Antarctic Landing is the lone piece of the ambitious Arctic Shores proposal to be constructed in the near future after the rest of the exhibit was scaled back due to soaring construction costs.

More at:
http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...733/story.html

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 3:34 PM

I'm a ginger, therefore I have no soul, therefore I hate penguins! unless they're edible of course.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 6:19 PM
Fake News

Not to get swept up in the general hysteria surrounding animal deaths at the zoo lately, but here's hoping they're properly prepared to handle the new penguin arrivals.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Not to get swept up in the general hysteria surrounding animal deaths at the zoo lately, but here's hoping they're properly prepared to handle the new penguin arrivals.
They're going to be fully prepared. I've heard that they've already ordered the entire Bloom County collection of books as well as 2 copies of Penguins for Idiots.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 8:06 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
They're going to be fully prepared. I've heard that they've already ordered the entire Bloom County collection of books as well as 2 copies of Penguins for Idiots.
Ahahaha!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation