HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


    King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 2:44 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
The first buildings going up, will they be overlooking Secunda Marine. Strange mix, industrial wasteland and nice buildings. JET
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 3:27 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
The first buildings going up, will they be overlooking Secunda Marine. Strange mix, industrial wasteland and nice buildings. JET
They'll have the industrial on one side and, down the road, 17-18 story buildings on the other.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 5:58 PM
Canadian_Bacon's Avatar
Canadian_Bacon Canadian_Bacon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 239
It's good to hear about how others are excited about the project as well. Once things really get going, you'll probably see a line of people watching.
__________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 9:38 PM
JustinMacD JustinMacD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I walked by the site yesterday afternoon it was bustling. And the most interesting part was I was on the new bridge over the canal watching the site for about 5 minutes and there were at least a dozen people who came by and stopped for a minute or two to watch or take a picture. People are excited. You could feel it.
Hey man that's great. It's a perfect location for a large piece of development. It'll revitalize that whole area.

I feel the same way about the Trillium. I'll never live there but it just makes this entire neighborhood look 10X nicer. Really classy.

I make a point of walking by it every single day. Development = exciting.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 11:44 AM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
They'll have the industrial on one side and, down the road, 17-18 story buildings on the other.
I'd hate to have a home that had the industrial mess as a view. Too bad that something couldn't be done about that. There are tugs on the Halifax waterfront, and the site is clean and neat. Even if some small buildings were built to store all the 'junk' JET
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 12:12 PM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
Trees could certainly block the view for the first few floors. Maybe Fares could offer to help construct the buildings to store all the junk??
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted Jun 18, 2010, 5:50 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Trees could certainly block the view for the first few floors. Maybe Fares could offer to help construct the buildings to store all the junk??
The lot diagram shows that those buildings will be right on the edge of the water, near the bridge that Jon was shooting from. No space for a tree barrier. maybe Fares can negotiate some improvements to the other property. JET
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #508  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 5:12 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
From today. End of week one. Only countless more to go.

Hope I chose the right url:






Reply With Quote
     
     
  #509  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 6:38 PM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuz View Post
From today. End of week one. Only countless more to go.

Hope I chose the right url:
Thanks for the images FuzzyWuz - I hope that you will keep us out-of-towners up to date with progress updates in the future as this project proceeds.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #510  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 1:49 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
We will definitely keep you up to date on this one. I walk by it all the time.

I'm now wondering though if they are gonna cut the tops off of all these piles once they are in? They do have to fit parking and all that here and I don't think cars can drive between those if they were turned into internal columns.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #511  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 2:42 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm now wondering though if they are gonna cut the tops off of all these piles once they are in? They do have to fit parking and all that here and I don't think cars can drive between those if they were turned into internal columns.
Certainly not. I dropped by and saw that they are digging around the base of a bunch of the columns and I couldn't figure out why. Now I'm wondering if they will cut them below the current ground level. They are now putting piles in the water. And demo is happening on the steel parts of the big building.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #512  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 5:25 PM
Canadian_Bacon's Avatar
Canadian_Bacon Canadian_Bacon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I'm now wondering though if they are gonna cut the tops off of all these piles once they are in? They do have to fit parking and all that here and I don't think cars can drive between those if they were turned into internal columns.
Well, I think smart cars could fit

Can't wait to see some more pics of the progress of this great project. Thanks guys.
__________________
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
- Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #513  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 7:34 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Well considering this is barely zoomed in I think its safe to say the cranes will be highly visible from Halifax;

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #514  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 12:29 AM
musicman musicman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 270
It's probably piles for a retaining wall so they can excavate behind them.. But that is just a guess..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #515  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 12:22 AM
Jstaleness's Avatar
Jstaleness Jstaleness is offline
Jelly Bean Sandwich
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dartmouth
Posts: 1,773
Was anyone down there this evening taking pictures. I was out for a walk and saw someone with a pretty nice camera taking pictures of the piles.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #516  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 6:24 PM
FuzzyWuz FuzzyWuz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 350
Taken by me today. Including my first panos.









Reply With Quote
     
     
  #517  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 3:27 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
They have indeed cut off the top of about half the piles driven so far. I'll try and grab a pic this afternoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #518  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 6:38 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
As promised.









And proof that the harbour is actually getting clean. A real live fish!!!!

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #519  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 10:17 PM
David1gray's Avatar
David1gray David1gray is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 739
^^^ must have been there just before me i also grabbed a few pics..





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #520  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 11:14 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
^^LOL to the fish.

I also grabbed a photo today but since I was in rush it was half-assed to say the least. I'll post it tonight or tomorrow with the others.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.