Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskyline
I love this design. My only concern would be the effect it would have aesthetically on the Empire State Building. I wish it was farther away because I like the way the Empire State Building currently dominates that area. Do we really want to see buildings of Empire State's height cropping up all around it?
|
I'm more worried about those god awful residential buildings popping up around the Empire State Building. Some are great, like Tower 31 or 400 5th Avenue, I'll even take the Epic and it's cheesy fin, but then there's The Magellan or even worse, 325 Fifth Avenue. The building itself isn't half bad, it's just that obnoxious blue and those plain white walls, I mean it's standing like a block away from the ESB, you think they'd put in a little more effort.

Source: Wired New York
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=154011
Oh god the horror. I'm not worried about buildings like 15 Penn Plaza, I'm sure the final result will be fantastic, I'd like to see the ESB isolated forever, but it's already too late, like NYguy said, it's a living city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward
I have to say I really love the design of the new tower. At the same time it's painful to see the hotel go. Regardless of what's inside, it's a beautiful building. Architectural ubiquity should also never be an excuse for demolition. But I see the merits of the new tower, but you almost kind of wish they could purchase and raze some empty hideous office building instead.
|
Agreed!