Quote:
Originally Posted by something_witty
It seems like everyone is missing the point of a third bridge: to go to Dartmouth.
You all seem to be very excited for a billion dollar LRT system. An LRT system would be great, except, how do you plan on having this get to Dartmouth? There is no way they would spend another billion to have a LRT bridge/tunnel only going to Dartmouth.
If people have to take a bus, then take a ferry, then ride light rail to the rest of their destination, people will just take their cars.
|
Absolutely correct - transportation only works when the mode is the simplest and least frustrating way to get somewhere. This is where heavy rail falls down with the rail cut and servicing Dartmouth - you can't get people to the Peninsula easily (if you went from the Train station; you still need a bus to go from there).
If a tunnel were built (or a bridge); it could potentially incorporate room for an LRT on the deck or in the tunnel - but there is always going to be an added cost.
An LRT system doesn't work unless it connects all the major employment centres together with residential areas and Burnside is one of those centres. In the transportation thread on rail; I posted a map of a potential rail based system (probably underground mostly) that served Dartmouth and Halifax. Here it is:
The idea was to hit many of the major employment centres on the peninsula (Hospitals/Universities/DND) and also major commercial centres (West End Mall/Halifax Shopping Centre/Downtown/Spring Garden Road) and then cross the harbour (in some fashion) and do the same there. I figured a common route (much like the Skytrain in Vancouver) through downtown would give more reason to put more high density residential there since the route would be well serviced. This doesn't solve the problem of how you get the train across the harbour though - could be it's bridge or part of a tunnel. I'm not sure.
I should add that this plan is meant to be viewed in a contextual way; incorporated with a variety of other transit methods (I've noted a ferry and I think a commuter rail from Bedford/Truro and even Tantallon is considered).