Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm4
I know that it's just smart planning to keep all future extensions opportunities open, but I don't understand this desire to extend into PoCo. The City has a population of 55,000! It's a pittance, not to mention it already has a WCE station. It won't be that far to drive to the Coquitlam park and ride and I'm sure bus connections to the Evergreen will improve significantly. I just don't think anyone could justify an extension into PoCo when there's far greater demands in the region.
|
No worries, once the Evergreen is done all the attention will shift to Vancouver and South of the Fraser.
Regardless of LRT or SkyTrain, we are unlikely to see any construction beyond the spur towards Poco at Coquitlam Central for the next 30 years at least. With less intersections to cross along Lougheed Hwy, lower land acquisition costs, and lower population expectations, this is where an LRT line to Maple Ridge would be a better solution -- but again I don't think this will happen until 2040-2050 at least as SkyTrains are expected to penetrate deeper into Surrey (and maybe Langley City) as well as Vancouver's Broadway Corridor. The potential of taking away the WCE market share as mentioned by a lot of posters a while ago does not help the cause for SkyTrain east of Coquitlam Central either (having SkyTrain connections at Coquitlam and Pomo gives WCE riders access to areas outside of Downtown Vancouver -- however having SkyTrain running parallel to WCE for an extended length... I don't need to complete the sentence).
However, as a person who lives in Poco I am going to have to differ from your opinion that it is only a small town of 55,000. Right now the residential density is at 28 ppha (which is slightly less than Burnaby [30 ppha] and more than Coquitlam and Surrey [18 and 22 ppha respectively]). [Data for other municipalities are available at
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cas/mitigation/ceei/RegionalDistricts/Metro-Vancouver/]
In terms of sheer size it is only a little bigger than New Westminster. That's not to mention about the 95,000-100,000 population that is expected for Poco according to the 2040 Metro Vancouver Regional Plan. Like many land-challenged areas in the region (with that gargantuan CP Rail Yard in the middle, ALR lands to the east, and Colony Farm Park to the southwest) the City has nowhere to go but up.
The tower at Shaughnessy Street and Lougheed is one of a series of high-rises that are in the works. There will be at least a four-tower development complex at the City Works site near Downtown Poco and the two tower development at Freemont Village mentioned in other threads. Given the land constraints I have mentioned in the last paragraph, more high and low-rise developments are expected to come.