HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1821  
Old Posted May 10, 2010, 8:35 AM
BCPhil BCPhil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
First Avenue and SEFC from the Cambie Street Bridge

Taken by SFUVancouver, May 5th, 2010.
Why can't they just put the street car on there already. Everything is ready to go.

P.S. I went down there on the weekend around sunset, and tow trucks were towing cars that had parked on the median on 1st.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1822  
Old Posted May 10, 2010, 8:51 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,798
I noticed that there were snazzy new streetlights on West 2nd near the Maynards area - same style as the ones pictured above along West 1st Ave. and within the Olympic Village (painted gray) with the anchor cable on the back end.
The lampheads on West 2nd are painted black (you can see them in the Pinnacle Living photo above) - the same ones are also used to light the bike path along Great Northern Way (painted green)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1823  
Old Posted May 10, 2010, 4:21 PM
wrenegade's Avatar
wrenegade wrenegade is offline
ON3P Skis
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lower Lonsdale, North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPhil View Post
P.S. I went down there on the weekend around sunset, and tow trucks were towing cars that had parked on the median on 1st.
I'd be pretty pissed if that were my car being towed from the median. I've been down there a number of times, most recently last Thursday, and I've never seen any signs stipulating no parking on the median.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1824  
Old Posted May 10, 2010, 6:17 PM
BCPhil BCPhil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
I'd be pretty pissed if that were my car being towed from the median. I've been down there a number of times, most recently last Thursday, and I've never seen any signs stipulating no parking on the median.
I noticed there were signs on the lamp posts that had printed on them something like: "Notice, new parking regulations in effect" but didn't say what, at least not big enough to read from my car. There are "no stopping" signs along the shoulders of the road, so I guess that applies to the median as well? But they should really make it more clear. I'm not sure the towtruck driver felt like he was right though, he seemed to be moving really fast, running around the cars securing them, like running faster than a thief would.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1825  
Old Posted May 10, 2010, 7:15 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,798
Hmmm.
Well there aren't sgns on other medians saying you can't park there either - Cambie Boulevard median, 16th Ave., 1st Ave, King Edward Ave....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1826  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 6:44 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
I don't think any photos of the park to the west of the village have been posted since it opened - these are my photos, from May 12:


Full Size


Full Size


Full Size


Full Size


Full Size


Full Size

Some new marketing posters - there is no competition!


Full Size


Plus the City's invite to the May 15 open house:


Source: City of Vancouver
__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1827  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
What is that strange, orangish-coloured field?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1828  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 2:30 PM
nova9 nova9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What is that strange, orangish-coloured field?
I dunno exactly but I was walking there at night and accidentally stepped in it - it's super soft but dry. my foot sank a good 2 inches into it. it was kinda fun.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1829  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 2:53 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
What is that strange, orangish-coloured field?
summer volleyball courts?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1830  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 5:14 PM
vancityrox's Avatar
vancityrox vancityrox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 363
That patch used to be green and now looks like dead grass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1831  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 5:17 PM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
^ I don't think so. As far as I can recall, it used to be gravel, and this is probably some sort of underfill, put down before it's seeded with grass. (Unless that is the grass seed - any landscapers out there?)
__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1832  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 7:06 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,124
it looks like it will become grass
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1833  
Old Posted May 12, 2010, 7:17 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
I've seen stunting mountain bikers taking advantage of the new terrain. Place will get trashed in no time.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1834  
Old Posted May 13, 2010, 1:46 PM
Lexie Lexie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 17
Is anyone from here going to the opening this weekend?
It sound like it will be exciting!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1835  
Old Posted May 13, 2010, 2:10 PM
sacrifice333 sacrifice333 is offline
Vancouver User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,460
^I'm going to check out the "avenues of the world" in a week or so... though opening day should be fun...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1836  
Old Posted May 13, 2010, 5:25 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,729
Thanks Locked In for all the great recent photos, both in this thread and elsewhere.

That orange field is where the elementary school will eventually be built, so I suspect that they are not going to go through the effort of installing proper drainage and seeding turf in the mean time. The orange stuff is probably being used in lieu of gravel.

I really quite like the emerging character of SEFC that is being built out from Cambie Street. The Exchange/Foundry block face, in my opinion, is a very handsome paring of new and old and exactly what I had hoped SEFC would be like. And now that both The Maynards Block and Pinnacle Living False Creek are in various stages of construction we will have even more juxtoposition of new and old (made new again). It is tricky to articulate but I think that it is very positive for our city to have two versions of SEFC on display, of which I am referring to the Olympic Village and the Cambie Bridgehead I just described. It offers, on one hand, a large architecturally cohesive neighbourhood centre full of public amenities and brimming with super-green bonefides. On the other hand at the Cambie Bridgehead you have a messier mixing of building ages, more cubic built forms, and less visible green building features. It will be fasincating to see how it all plays out.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis

Last edited by SFUVancouver; May 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1837  
Old Posted May 13, 2010, 8:33 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,798
Well, the complaint about the Concord Lands and Downtown South is that it all seems too "planned" or "the same". So a bit of inconsistency or haphazardness is probably a good thing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1838  
Old Posted May 13, 2010, 10:03 PM
b5baxter b5baxter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 187
I wish they would stop calling it the "Greenest Neighbourhood on the Planet" when it clearly is not.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1839  
Old Posted May 13, 2010, 11:50 PM
paradigm4 paradigm4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by b5baxter View Post
I wish they would stop calling it the "Greenest Neighbourhood on the Planet" when it clearly is not.
It was certified as a LEED Platinum Neighbourhood...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1840  
Old Posted May 14, 2010, 4:34 AM
Locked In's Avatar
Locked In Locked In is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,977
I went by SEFC again today - I also really like how the neighborhood is taking shape. Anyways, there were some workers watering the orange field, and a few little grass shoots were sprouting - so I guess we'll get a temporary field there.
__________________
My Flickr Photostream
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.