HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 6:59 AM
NetMapel's Avatar
NetMapel NetMapel is offline
Hello World
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,580
🞵🞵🞵 Canucks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 7:00 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
I got a kick out of a lot of signs in the crowd tonight. There was the "Burrows will you marry me?" woman, and near her the "Luongo is Puck'n Awesome" guy.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 7:06 AM
NetMapel's Avatar
NetMapel NetMapel is offline
Hello World
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,580
My prediction for the next game is that either the Canucks play disciplined and get a convincing win or they become extremely undisciplined and we lose big.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 7:37 AM
usog usog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 580
Either way the crowd looks like it's ready to crucify a ref
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 6:40 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
We sucked big time last night. What a huge let down. I'm not a bandwagoner fan by any means, but I am a realist. If the Canucks lose the series, I'll have to say that the tide began to turn in the Hawk's favor in Game 2. Vancouver should have won that game. They played a good 10 min, and then stopped playing thinking that the Hawks wouldn't wake up. Big mistake. They did, and now we're in a 2-1 series hole.

If indeed Game 2 was the tide turning the Hawk's favor, then the Canucks are in trouble. Game 1 was convincing, but since then, Vancouver has scored a grand total of 4 goals, while the Hawks have scored 9. Not good.

Roberto, for the first time in these playoffs, had a very bad game. Rebound control was terrible, but his teammates didn't show up in last night's game either. The Canucks could be leading today 2-1 in the series, and possibly take a commanding 3-1 series, but instead, this path looks eerily similar to last year's path. If Vancouver loses on Friday, the Canucks are as good as done. There is no way the Hawk players want to go back to Vancouver for Game 6. It will be done (if they lose on Fri) in 5 games.

I hope that Vancouver comes out to play on Friday, and play smart, or else we'll be seeing Luongo crying - again. If they lose on Friday, let the criticism begin on the team, and Gillis' lack of moves on trade deadline day for not finding a replacement for Willie Mitchell. We are sorely lacking Mitchell, but almost guarantee, he's not coming back. Probably 1) Concussion problems, 2) He might be asking for a lot.

With all this being said, I'm looking forward to Friday's game. Don't disappoint Canucks. Friday will either (imo) determine whether the Canucks live to play another day, and extend the series, or this series is done in Chicago come Sunday.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 6:45 PM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by usog View Post
Either way the crowd looks like it's ready to crucify a ref
To be honest, the refs were allowing more physical play, what I don't understand is if the refs were allowing Hawk players to crash the crease, why the Canucks coaching staff didn't make the adjustment during the game, and encourage their players to crash Niemi and his crease?? I don't get it.

imo, if AV can't get his team past Chicago (again) this year, he may have to go. Player personnel has changed (a bit) from last year, he's had more players who can score more goals, and he has more depth, and YET, he still can't get this team over Chicago? It seems that if the Canucks are ever to get to the Cup final, the road to the Stanley Cup will indeed (in the west, at least) be through the Hawks.

You have to wonder if Vancouver loses again this year, what it would do to their psyche for the next few years, when these two teams meet again (and I'm sure they will). Shane O'Brien's a decent dman, but last night, he took some stupid penalties at crucial moments of the game. Burrows, I will be critical about, because he really hasn't shown up during these playoffs. I don't know what's happened to the guy. His production has dropped like a stone in water.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 6:56 PM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Maybe Chicago is just... better ? Aside from the net, they are better.

AV is a good coach. He somehow has the Canucks winning the division.

Luongo's rebounds were terrible yesterday. All 4 goals were pretty much the same, and the 4th one was the most egregious example of poor control.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #508  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 7:29 PM
touraccuracy's Avatar
touraccuracy touraccuracy is offline
Registered Loser
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,569
well the next games makes or breaks the series.

it's feeling a bit like the LA series again. it's all about flow: we had it for the first game + period, they had it for the next two, how long can they keep the flow going? i rather we have it at the end of the series, and they gotta give it up soon. who's ready for 3 straight wins?
__________________
"The modern metropolis is a teeming hive of strung-out dope heads, rapists, home invaders and fine regional cuisine." -Cracked.com
Don't quote me on that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #509  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 8:06 PM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Maybe Chicago is just... better ? Aside from the net, they are better.
Sounds like something a Flames fan would say!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #510  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 8:22 PM
Prometheus's Avatar
Prometheus Prometheus is offline
Reason and Freedom
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vancouver/Toronto
Posts: 4,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post

Burrows, I will be critical about, because he really hasn't shown up during these playoffs. I don't know what's happened to the guy. His production has dropped like a stone in water.
Burrows has been a huge disappointment, and thanks to his unnecessary penalty, instead of having a faceoff in Chicago's end with a fresh new Sedin line against a tired Chicago line, giving us a good opportunity to tie the game, the Canucks were the ones who got stuck with a tired, short-handed line while Chicago got to go on a power play with a fresh line and score another goal, increasing their lead by two.

However, Burrows did manage to score his first goal these playoffs with an actual goalie in the net. So I guess that is progress.

Last edited by Prometheus; May 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #511  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 10:05 PM
flight_from_kamakura's Avatar
flight_from_kamakura flight_from_kamakura is offline
testify
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: san francisco and montreal
Posts: 1,319
i'm sure vancouver will win it tomorrow to tie the series up.

as an aside, as a hockey player when i have the time, i'm so blown away at the level of skill on display - individual and positional - that i can't fault these guys too much for the small breakdowns that we're seeing every so often. it's easy to sit around and complain when the canucks lose, but they're playing a very good chicago team, something i think the team boosters who don't really have the hockey background don't get so well.

that said, i expect a win or i'm getting off the bandwagon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #512  
Old Posted May 6, 2010, 11:56 PM
Some guy's Avatar
Some guy Some guy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Don't worry about it
Posts: 302
What Vancouver needs is two or three players that can crush the other team (literally).
We have almost no enforcers on this team. The closest are probably Bieksa and O'Brien. Rypien and Hordichuk are kickass, but they get very little ice time and aren't very good for scoring.

Burrows hits a lot but couldn't intimidate anyone if his life depended on it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #513  
Old Posted May 7, 2010, 6:02 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
A couple pics from last night. I tried REALLY hard to cheer for the Canucks. I even twirled my terrible towel for a bit.

But, in the end, I found myself more interested in the mini donuts


http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/4586125096/


http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/4586140130/


http://www.flickr.com/photos/syume/4585508949/

Luckily I was behind Luongo for 2 periods, so I saw a lot of goals.
__________________
Visit me on Flickr! Really! I'm lonely.
http://www.flickr.com/syume
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #514  
Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:05 AM
GeeCee's Avatar
GeeCee GeeCee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,816
Huh, neat! I didn't realize that they still had some of the Look of the Games images up at GM Place.. and the Olympic flag! Awesome.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #515  
Old Posted May 7, 2010, 7:11 AM
usog usog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 580
So I see we aren't the only Canadian city complaining about officiating lately
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #516  
Old Posted May 8, 2010, 9:16 AM
Vancity's Avatar
Vancity Vancity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond, BC
Posts: 1,637
This series is over.

Chicago wins Game 5. We were desperate tonight (Game 4), and look what happened. We let in 7 goals, lose by 3. I know some fans want to believe that their team will make a "Montreal Canadiens comeback" like that against Washington, but c'mon, let's be real. Their goaltender, Halak, became white hot. Luongo isn't even close. His confidence has got to be shot.

The road, imo, to the Stanley Cup, will be for the next few years, through Chicago. If we can't beat the Hawks, then we'll be ousted from the 2nd round of the playoffs for a very long time. I wonder how Gillis will respond to reporters tomorrow? This team is is complete disarray, and confusion. They are not going to rebound in 48 hours. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but from what I can see, from the coaches on down, this team is already beaten. Game 5 is just a formality.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #517  
Old Posted May 8, 2010, 9:27 AM
Slug's Avatar
Slug Slug is offline
the goggles do nothing
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Between a big tree and a red bridge
Posts: 569
Nice how they incorporated the Olympic themed wall on the press box, remember Calgary went all the way on the season after hosting the games.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #518  
Old Posted May 8, 2010, 9:42 AM
vansky vansky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 928
i think the whale doesn't have enough teeth to bite the hawk right now
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #519  
Old Posted May 8, 2010, 6:38 PM
Conrad Yablonski's Avatar
Conrad Yablonski Conrad Yablonski is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 700
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
This series is over......This team is is complete disarray, and confusion. They are not going to rebound in 48 hours. I would LOVE to be proven wrong, but from what I can see, from the coaches on down, this team is already beaten.....
Sadly I quite agree, the Canucks are/were quite full of themselves and now they pay the price.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #520  
Old Posted May 8, 2010, 8:44 PM
OhioGuy OhioGuy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 7,777
Yume-sama, those are great photos! I love GM Place. I spent a week there in March 2001 watching the World Figure Skating Championships. It's a fantastic arena!

I'm rooting for the Blackhawks, though if the Canucks somehow manage to come back and win the series, I'll be rooting for them to win it all.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:59 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.