HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4061  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:31 AM
bob1954 bob1954 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 869
Just fog I hope!
     
     
  #4062  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 5:55 PM
Distill3d's Avatar
Distill3d Distill3d is offline
Glorfied Overrated Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver (Burnaby), British Columbia
Posts: 4,151
I just got home from spending a week in Calgary and I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed with Calgary's skyline. The pictures on this site do the city very, very little justice. Most impressive was the sheer size of The Bow...WOW! That thing is MASSIVE! I don't know why, but I was not expecting it to have such...girth...the damn thing is — ominous!! It looks like its going to devour the sun and eat your children, and you're going to let it because its so big you can't argue with it!!
     
     
  #4063  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 6:38 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Most impressive was the sheer size of The Bow...WOW! That thing is MASSIVE! I don't know why, but I was not expecting it to have such...girth...the damn thing is — ominous!! It looks like its going to devour the sun and eat your children, and you're going to let it because its so big you can't argue with it!!
I love this description of The Bow, I'm going to quote you over in the highrise thread for it!
     
     
  #4064  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:07 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
I just got home from spending a week in Calgary and I have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed with Calgary's skyline. The pictures on this site do the city very, very little justice. Most impressive was the sheer size of The Bow...WOW! That thing is MASSIVE! I don't know why, but I was not expecting it to have such...girth...the damn thing is — ominous!! It looks like its going to devour the sun and eat your children, and you're going to let it because its so big you can't argue with it!!
lol, thats awesome.
     
     
  #4065  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 8:50 PM
Traynor's Avatar
Traynor Traynor is offline
Back to Basics
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Imagine having to breath that.
Like most people that don't live in T.O., you mistake a cool spring morning with dew and fog as dreaded POLLUTION. Not all the photos of Toronto like this are caused by pollution. Often the cool lake causes the moisture in the air to condense out of the atmosphere and it is just foggy. Look closely at the ribbon of fog in the low-lying Rosedale valley just north of the CBD. That is proof positive of the weather condition when this photo was taken.

Certainly, it has some pollution in it as all big cities do, but live in downtown Toronto and take a deep breath and then go to Los Angeles and do the same... you will then know the difference.


Last edited by Traynor; Apr 9, 2010 at 3:27 AM.
     
     
  #4066  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:47 PM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is online now
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Like most people that don't live in T.O., you mistake a cool spring morning with dew and fog as dreaded POLLUTION. Not all the photos of Toronto like this are caused by pollution. Often the cool lake causes the moisture in the air to condense out of the atmosphere and it is just foggy. Look closely at the ribbon of fog in the low-lying Rosedale valley just north of the CBD. That is proof positive of the weather condition when this photo was taken.

Certainly, it has some pollution in it as all big cities do, l but live in downtown Toronto and take a deep breath and then go to Los Angeles and do the same... you will then know the difference.

Yeah, it's very common in the morning hours of warm summer days. You can tell that it's morning from the glare on the NYCC towers in the photos.

On such days the downtown towers are obscured in haze from my house in the morning, despite being only 3-4km away. Generally this clears up by later in the morning. Days with bad smog are completely different and it's actually a bit better (and a few degrees cooler) in the portions of the city closest to the lake. Walking around an industrial park in north scarborough during a smog alert at 35 degrees is hellish, unfortunately from experience. Having some drinks on a patio off Queen on the same day isn't nearly as bad.
     
     
  #4067  
Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 9:56 PM
Traynor's Avatar
Traynor Traynor is offline
Back to Basics
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,226
^ Very true!

The irony is, because of the lake breezes, downtown is way less polluted than the suburbs. I grew up in North York and was amazed how clear the sky was right downtown when I moved there. I used to stand on my balcony on a warm summer morning and take a deep breath and the air was crisp, clear and cool. Not the smoggy mess the rest of the country would like to believe.
     
     
  #4068  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 2:53 AM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,166
Sure guys...

Its no LA, but lets not kid ourselves here, its a major problem.
     
     
  #4069  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 3:08 AM
AuxTown's Avatar
AuxTown AuxTown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 4,654
Despite minimal industrial happenings here, Ottawa sits in a very large valley formerly known as the Champlain Sea and the smog can be suffocating on hot summer days. I have good lungs, no allergies, and don't really mind it, but it can't be good for our long-term health.

A couple of Ottawa smog shots:


from www.cbc.ca


from www.ec.gc.ca


by Flyingspores on www.flickr.com
     
     
  #4070  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 3:12 AM
niwell's Avatar
niwell niwell is online now
sick transit, gloria
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roncesvalles, Toronto
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

Its no LA, but lets not kid ourselves here, its a major problem.
Of course it is, just that wasn't an example of smog. It's a problem all over the great lakes region, and even when I lived in Ottawa smog days were all too common. The worst air conditions aren't even necessarily in the large urban areas since so much pollution heads this way from the States. In Toronto at least hot summer days tend to be more manageable near the lake though.

It's no Western Canada to be sure, it took me more than a few years to adjust to the humid mess that is summer in Southern Ontario.

EDIT: I posted this while the above was being posted, examples of what I was talking about in Ottawa
     
     
  #4071  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 8:31 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
from the forks

     
     
  #4072  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 2:16 PM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
18 image panorama

     
     
  #4073  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 2:19 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Damn!
     
     
  #4074  
Old Posted Apr 9, 2010, 4:30 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Sure guys...

Its no LA, but lets not kid ourselves here, its a major problem.
I don't know a single person in denial over this fact. However, it hasn't reached the point for me to consider moving to someplace more off the beaten path as I like to drive places.
     
     
  #4075  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 5:03 AM
bob1954 bob1954 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 869
Is it just me or is EAP looking taller (after the roof is done) than Petro-can?
     
     
  #4076  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 6:45 AM
Pavlov's Avatar
Pavlov Pavlov is offline
Khan
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 5,024
^ perspective
     
     
  #4077  
Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 7:26 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,525
shame its not the height of the tip of that one crane though
     
     
  #4079  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 12:29 AM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
Nice collection of Montreal pics.
     
     
  #4080  
Old Posted Apr 12, 2010, 12:33 AM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
A brown Spring in Calgary. We need rain.

     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:27 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.