HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
Here in Calgary we're very good at TAD and not so good at TOD. But all along the LRT line there are pockets of high density development and office clusters at certain stations. So if they were to build the commuter rail line, I'd suspect there would be a station here and at Mill Cove and I have a feeling they would do a plan similar to this in Mill Cove as well (along the same principles, but the look/feel would be different).
Somewhere's in the Subruban Developments thread there is the three options for Mill Cove. The final plan was expected earlier but this year but it somehow got slowed down. I really hope it comes forward soon the site is not pretty to look at and if there was a solid place set aside for the ferry and train terminals it might push them forward quicker.

Back on topic I'm going to be emailing HRM in favour of the one tower.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 7:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
i wish the city would take the time and effort (and resources) to work at areas around the core instead of suburbs. All they are doing is making it more attractive to develop/live in areas farther from the core.
It feels like the HRM treats most districts more or less equally when in reality the core is far more important to a much larger number of people.

Transit-oriented development is nice but when you have no plans whatsoever for transit and NIMBY tendencies to cut back on densities it's really unlikely to be successful. A single 20 storey tower and acres of parkland aren't going to do much for a transit station far from everything else.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 8:37 PM
we built this city

I wish they could define a future transit route and plan the communities based off of this projection. That way we could sustainably build towards a city where BRT could be implemented in phases.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I wish they could define a future transit route and plan the communities based off of this projection. That way we could sustainably build towards a city where BRT could be implemented in phases.

Problem is that the current transit plan (one just passed in principle that is) was based on the current mps (which some are very out dated).

Bedford to the core would be well served with light rail. As expressed, i use this road daily and a roundabout would just funnel traffic to areas like bayers road and over fill its capacity. The ravines will be dumping more on this section once the over pass is finished.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2010, 7:50 PM

I've been skimming through the Bedford MPS and found an interesting section relating to the future of the Bedford Highway. It basically states the Bedford Highway should not be a high volume, high speed corridor but rather a high volume, low speed corridor. It suggests having a maximum travel width of 48 feet which would fit three lanes of traffic and that over time all sections of the Highway in the Bedford plan should be reduced to this width.

I think roundabouts fit this policy perfectly.

P.S. there is also another policy that says cycling shall be encouraged in Bedford.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs