HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 1:54 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgera View Post
Re: population sign...just drove in for the xmas holidays...and was disappointed to see the old 785k sign on the Hwy 416.
The one east of the city at Rockland Rd. now says 900k... I noticed it on the way to Quebec City during the holidays (left town on Dec. 23).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryersonian View Post
You guys are great; reading all the opinion always helps me form my own...

For me Ottawa is 500k the region is 1.4 Million...and yes Ottawa is a 'little big city' illustrated by the hydro poles, development opportunities that still exist throughout the City and small town mentality of many of the long time residents.

I truly believe we are on the brink of the biggest change this City will ever go through....In five years the change will be huge....In ten years we won't even recognize this place...If we can take the ever present frustration and cut some of the dead weight holding us back we can have something to be proud of sooner then later.

I am a realist, but I've decided to get into 2010 with some optimism! Think about it if by some fluke we get Lebreton, The Escarpment, Bayview, Lansdowne, Transit, more towers and continued gentrification of some urban neighbourhoods we'll be looking pretty sharp!

I know some of you will blah blah...council....blah blah landsdowne and transit...blah blah...hydro poles, but really this is all possible.
The old city of Ottawa is actually about 340,000 - and hasn't really grown at all the last few years (in fact, it is possible it may have even declined slightly). The former cities of Vanier and Rockcliffe Park have almost certainly declined as well. Many areas inside the Greenbelt have shown negative growth.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 8:45 PM
Citizen-at-large

If you actually look in detail at the 2006 Census results, between 2001 and 2006 the area inside the Greenbelt did decline, but this decline was due to what I call the "inner suburbs", and was not due to a decline in number of households, but in numbers of members of households. In other words, these areas are populated by Baby Boomers who's children are finally moving out.

Areas within the Greenbelt that I consider urban or urbanising ones in fact grew in that period. This includes the ByWard Market area, the CBD, the Glebe, Sandy Hill, and most of Kitchissippi. I haven't looked at Vanier/New Edinburgh, but would not be surprised to see the same results there.

I also believe that since 2006 both trends (loss in inner suburbs, gain in urban areas) have probably continued or increased. The loss in the inner suburbs does not greatly concern me, as this trend will change in the long run as aging residents living in big empty houses decide to move, and young families return to these areas. When seen in this light, a decline in population but increase in residences within the Greenbelt is in fact a trend very much in line with long-term population growth and increasing urbanization.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
If you actually look in detail at the 2006 Census results, between 2001 and 2006 the area inside the Greenbelt did decline, but this decline was due to what I call the "inner suburbs", and was not due to a decline in number of households, but in numbers of members of households. In other words, these areas are populated by Baby Boomers who's children are finally moving out.

Areas within the Greenbelt that I consider urban or urbanising ones in fact grew in that period. This includes the ByWard Market area, the CBD, the Glebe, Sandy Hill, and most of Kitchissippi. I haven't looked at Vanier/New Edinburgh, but would not be surprised to see the same results there.

I also believe that since 2006 both trends (loss in inner suburbs, gain in urban areas) have probably continued or increased. The loss in the inner suburbs does not greatly concern me, as this trend will change in the long run as aging residents living in big empty houses decide to move, and young families return to these areas. When seen in this light, a decline in population but increase in residences within the Greenbelt is in fact a trend very much in line with long-term population growth and increasing urbanization.
I do agree it was the inner suburbs that declined the most (i.e. an area along a corridor from roughly Bayshore along Baseline and Heron Roads and over to St. Laurent Boulevard). The core area definitely increased in population, and should continue to with greater high-density condos.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 11:24 AM
Citizen-at-large

The 416 sign now says 900,000, although it's not a nice new sign like the one in the photo op at the start of this thread. The bright white of the '900' shows that this was a recent change.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 4:08 PM
Elle est déjà vide!

Same for the 417 sign coming in from Montreal. Those are MTO signs; the photo-op one that was in the paper was a City sign which goes up on City roads.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 6:13 PM
Mooderator

Old Posted Apr 2, 2010, 4:17 PM

the Former city of Ottawa has a population of 391,860 according to this estimate.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues