HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    The Bow in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1981  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 11:40 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
I could certainly see Encana/Cenovus building for their own needs despite the market. I'm certain they already have some kind of rough idea of what they want to build on the CUPS/Andrew Davison site. Of course, it would be very preliminary. The parkade plans are drawn with the future joining of parkades in mind.

They probably have a preliminary idea of the tower they want to build where the old Salvation Army warehouse is too (the North West Traveller's building is staying). The plans have provisions for a parkade connection there too. The old Salvation Army thrift store (built in the 70s - and being used as the Ledcor offices right now) will be torn down as current construction progresses to make way for the +15 connection to the Telus building.

Didn't the original site plans say something about future residential?
     
     
  #1982  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 11:46 PM
fatboy's Avatar
fatboy fatboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Center of the Universe
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Ave View Post
It's only my opinion, but I think it's the best tall building in Canada period.
too bad its not original planned height which would have been closer to 1000ft.
Height is everything sorry, just like size....its a beauty though...
     
     
  #1983  
Old Posted Mar 11, 2010, 11:59 PM
Jay in Cowtown's Avatar
Jay in Cowtown Jay in Cowtown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cochrane, Alberta
Posts: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
too bad its not original planned height which would have been closer to 1000ft.
Height is everything sorry, just like size....its a beauty though...
I agree with you on the first statement, shadowing horseshit!

I don't on the second... as much as I like height, I wouldn't trade the Bow for that 300m white box you have in Toronto!
     
     
  #1984  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 12:10 AM
The Kid's Avatar
The Kid The Kid is offline
Kid Dynamic!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
too bad its not original planned height which would have been closer to 1000ft.
Height is everything sorry, just like size....its a beauty though...
Height is by no means everything, not by a long shot.
     
     
  #1985  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 1:20 AM
The Chemist's Avatar
The Chemist The Chemist is offline
恭喜发财!
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: 中国上海/Shanghai
Posts: 8,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
too bad its not original planned height which would have been closer to 1000ft.
That's just hearsay. There's never been any proof that this building was EVER planned to be so tall. EnCana knew about the shadowing guidelines from the get-go, and if they ever planned to build so tall they would have chosen a site that would have allowed them to do so.

Height isn't everything - or maybe you think that Trump Toronto is better than something like 30 St. Mary Axe (Swiss Re) on the virtue of height alone.
     
     
  #1986  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:53 AM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,273
I'm okay with the Bow not being 1000' although that would have been cool, and I still wish they didn't take away the two floors due to shadowing. I like the shadowing bylaw for the most part, but I'm greedy, and for the Bow to be over 800' would have been nice.
     
     
  #1987  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 11:19 AM
prospekt prospekt is offline
10005
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 87
stunning! can't wait to see the inner bracing clad.
     
     
  #1988  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 1:02 PM
fatboy's Avatar
fatboy fatboy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Center of the Universe
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
I agree with you on the first statement, shadowing horseshit!

I don't on the second... as much as I like height, I wouldn't trade the Bow for that 300m white box you have in Toronto!
White box? oh yes...never said it was anything great? can't stand it actually, even when they re clad it, its boring typical 70's tower.
Why is this always a T.O thing? I lived in Calgary for 12 years...loved it 90% of the time, very pleased to see the skyline growing.
LOVE the BOW too.
     
     
  #1989  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 3:49 PM
Govertical's Avatar
Govertical Govertical is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 501
^ sorry just a stereotypical calgarian viewpoint, and i have seen people go and start something long winded on here...I appologize
     
     
  #1990  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 4:03 PM
Tarsus's Avatar
Tarsus Tarsus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,062
Yesterday, I was downtown, and took a good look at the Bow, walking around it and checking it out in person from all angles. It's the first time I've gotten a good look at it up close for about 6 months. All I can say is; this tower is awesome! It's much better than I thought.
     
     
  #1991  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:05 PM
RockMont RockMont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 697
Will this one have a public observation, and viewing area?
     
     
  #1992  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:13 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
Will this one have a public observation, and viewing area?
Nope. The lobby and the mezzanine level have retail areas and are open to the public, and that's it for public areas in the tower.

When the south block gets built, that will have a bunch more public area, but it's only 7 stories tall.

There's a public observation deck 3 blocks away, in the Calgary Tower:


picture by bigtime posted a few pages back.
     
     
  #1993  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 5:45 PM
RockMont RockMont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 697
There's a public observation deck 3 blocks away, in the Calgary Tower:


picture by bigtime posted a few pages back.[/QUOTE]





I've been there.
     
     
  #1994  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:09 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Too bad when you are in the observation deck in the tower you look UP at all the tall buildings around. lol
     
     
  #1995  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:19 PM
RockMont RockMont is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 697
That's because, of when it was built in, I think the early 1960's, nothing was as tall, and of course that has been outlived.
     
     
  #1996  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:33 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Didn't the original site plans say something about future residential?
There was that one drawing early on that had "future residential" where the Salvation Army Warehouse is now.

I can see it happening sometime down the road.
     
     
  #1997  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:34 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
It was built in '67 and was by far the tallest building. I just find it funny that we never had any height restrictions to protect the tower and it's views.
     
     
  #1998  
Old Posted Mar 12, 2010, 6:35 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
There was that one drawing early on that had "future residential" where the Salvation Army Warehouse is now.

I can see it happening sometime down the road.
That would be a great location for residential, especially with the EV redevelopment.
     
     
  #1999  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 7:26 AM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,273
Da Bow Taken by myself.
     
     
  #2000  
Old Posted Mar 14, 2010, 12:10 PM
Witty Nickname's Avatar
Witty Nickname Witty Nickname is offline
Look up, Waaaaaay up
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,348
Sweet shot Surreal!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.